Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari 1.3 dp1

Safari 1.3 dp1
Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 01:50 PM

Apparently the Javascript engine has been rewritten so that benchmark times have been slashed in half. Not too shabby

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:13 PM

nice.

ryju
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 02:29 PM

Awesome, Tiger-only?

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Awesome, Tiger-only?
Nope, this is an upcoming 10.3 release - there are pictures floating around, but as expected they don't look any different from the current version.

Apparently all the stuff showcased at WWDC, including RSS, is in the app but not hooked up yet (Tiger Safari is v2.0).

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

then somebody must hook it up! Maybe Hao Li can.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 03:17 PM

To be honest I really don't see the point in waiting a whole year to implement RSS support - people won't see it as *new* then (I know it's not new now, but the average user will think it is).

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 03:20 PM

Omniweb 5 already has that... Opera too.

goose
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 03:28 PM

Do you happen to know if Safari still resizes the window the first time you go to a tabbed view?

There's never enough when you have too little

akuma-x
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by goose:
Do you happen to know if Safari still resizes the window the first time you go to a tabbed view?
Yes it still does.

F_Elz
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2004, 04:38 PM

God that annoys me

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 08:29 PM

Used this benchmark for my tests.

Safari 1.2: 238.23 seconds (T1 time: 120.703 sec., T2 time: 3.259 sec., T3 time: 3.424 sec., T4 time: 47.776 sec., T5 time: 25.513 sec., T6 time: 9.499 sec., T7 time: 28.051 sec.)
Safari 1.3 dp1: 22.67 seconds (T1 time: 4.54 sec., T2 time: 2.502 sec., T3 time: 2.429 sec., T4 time: 4.549 sec., T5 time: 0.731 sec., T6 time: 7.136 sec., T7 time: 0.784 sec.)

An order of magnitude faster, and then some.

IGN, a site under Safari 1.2 that would take about 40 seconds on any page for me, is now usable again in Safari 1.3.

I'm just starting to have fun with it. I will post further impressions if they are significant, later.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 10:08 PM

ok, new to the mac world here, please don't feed me with "moral comments, NDA ..." but is there a way to get 1.3 without beeing a dev.?

email me @ jgniquet-----at-----videotron.ca

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by jgcan:
is there a way to get 1.3 without beeing a dev.?
wait for the actual release?
cpac

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 PM

I'm curious if they wrote a new engine, or if they perhaps used another engine (Mozilla's SpiderMonkey perhaps?)

Seems rather quick to write a new JS engine (if it's a complete implementation). It's pretty complex.

Besides, David Hyatt is working on Safari, and is all ex-Netscape (Mozilla). So it wouldn't be to suprising.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I'm curious if they wrote a new engine, or if they perhaps used another engine (Mozilla's SpiderMonkey perhaps?)

Seems rather quick to write a new JS engine (if it's a complete implementation). It's pretty complex.

Besides, David Hyatt is working on Safari, and is all ex-Netscape (Mozilla). So it wouldn't be to suprising.
Unlikely, unless it got a whole lot faster, testing with Firefox it took me about 48 seconds to complete the test. A PowerBook with lower specs than mine did it in 16 seconds. What do you mean be rather quick? They could've been working on this for years.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Unlikely, unless it got a whole lot faster, testing with Firefox it took me about 48 seconds to complete the test. A PowerBook with lower specs than mine did it in 16 seconds. What do you mean be rather quick? They could've been working on this for years.
Exactly. Plus if they are going to use a runtime connected to WebCore to do Dashboard, there is a high probability that there's more than just Hyatt working on it.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by cpac:
Exactly the kind of useless answer that I asked for, but I should have known better by now when I see so much of them .... thanks a lot, you can be proud of yourself, I guess that is how some of your more than 2000 posts have been cumulating, smart !

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 01:26 AM

Exactly the kind of useless answer that I asked for, but I should have known better by now when I see so much of them .... thanks a lot, you can be proud of yourself, I guess that is how some of your more than 2000 posts have been cumulating, smart !
Why do you think anyone here would help you pirate software?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Why do you think anyone here would help you pirate software?
Yeah... I wish

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:

Hyatt isn't working on JavaScript.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 05:04 AM

Exactly the kind of useless answer that I asked for, but I should have known better by now when I see so much of them ....
Yes, you should have known better than to ask for advice on pirating software. As explained in the forum guidelines, that's a good way to get a thread killed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 05:10 AM

In Safari many links i clik open in a new window. What can i do to force these pages to convert the 'Open in New Window' command (script) to just open link in the same Tab the link is in?? If i wanted the link in a 'New Window' i'd Command Click the Link so it opens in a new Tab

This is terribly frustrating an annoying to have windows opening up all over the screen.

What exactly is it in a page that tells a browser to open a new window for a link that is clicked? I Disable JavaScript but these links still open in a new window, so it can't be that. I just want to defeat this behavior.

Thanks In-advance
( Last edited by Targon; Jul 1, 2004 at 05:31 AM. )

chris_h
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Targon:

What exactly is it in a page that tells a browser to open a new window for a link that is clicked? I Disable JavaScript but these links still open in a new window, so it can't be that. I just want to defeat this behavior.

Thanks In-advance
it's a function of HTML itself, not javascript or anything like that.

basically, inside an href tag, you can have a target=whatever statement. usually target=blank or whatever, but you can name the window there if you want later clicks to open in an already opened window instead of opening yet another one (hope that made any sense here at 5am)

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Chuckit:
Yes, you should have known better than to ask for advice on pirating software. As explained in the forum guidelines, that's a good way to get a thread killed.
Pirating software?? Software that I will get for free, boy you need to rethink what pirating software is well thinking man. If I don't mind using beta software, it doesn't take away anything from Apple. Again, you should read my first post, I did ask those interested to help, not the others like you. When something doesn't please you, just get over it and do your own business. Thanks ...

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 06:10 AM

Pirating software?? Software that I will get for free, boy you need to rethink what pirating software is well thinking man. If I don't mind using beta software, it doesn't take away anything from Apple. Again, you should read my first post, I did ask those interested to help, not the others like you. When something doesn't please you, just get over it and do your own business. Thanks ...
Yeah, Apple doesn't make any money from ADC memberships...

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by chris_h:
it's a function of HTML itself, not javascript or anything like that.

basically, inside an href tag, you can have a target=whatever statement. usually target=blank or whatever, but you can name the window there if you want later clicks to open in an already opened window instead of opening yet another one (hope that made any sense here at 5am)
Is it possible to add some commands into my Custom CSS that i use for Safari?

If so what code shall i add?

Cheers

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:13 AM

bottom line? If you ask a stupid question, you'll get a stupid answer. If you need help to pirate software, your probably shouldn't be using beta software at all anyway.

In short, you've received only what you deserve.
cpac

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 09:44 AM

Cheers
Unless Im having a brain freeze, I don't think CSS can do that

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 09:55 AM

Unfortunately, there is no standard way to add commands into custom CSS, and Safari has not tried to implement its own method for this either.

Theoretically someone could make an XBL binding for Mozilla/Firefox/(maybe Camino since it wouldn't need XUL?) for this. Add a command for *::not(@target='_top') which used JavaScript to set the target back to _top. I have no clue on exactly how this would be done, but I know enough about XBL to know that this should be doable, at least in theory.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

goose
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by akuma-x:
Yes it still does.
D'OH!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:20 PM

What would be nice is to have a preference in Safari so that new window links open in new tabs instead.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
What would be nice is to have a preference in Safari so that new window links open in new tabs instead.
Agreed. A nice web browser that uses the IE engine on the PC does that. I always prefered it.

lenox
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 02:58 PM

If you have a mouse with 3 buttons (or a mousewheel), just 'middle-click' the link and it will open in the new tab, as opposed to a new window (or the same window/tab)

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by lenox:
If you have a mouse with 3 buttons (or a mousewheel), just 'middle-click' the link and it will open in the new tab, as opposed to a new window (or the same window/tab)
Or drag the link to the tab bar

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
SAFT makes Safari do that.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Or drag the link to the tab bar
or cmd click

goose
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 10:54 AM

Also, does this preview add a "Back" option in the context menu? That is one thing that drives me crazy that the current Safari doesn't have it. I'm lazy and don't want to go all the way back to the toolbar to hit the back button or use the keyboard command.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 2, 2004, 10:55 AM

Also, does this preview add a "Back" option in the context menu? That is one thing that drives me crazy that the current Safari doesn't have it. I'm lazy and don't want to go all the way back to the toolbar to hit the back button or use the keyboard command.
Yes it does...oh wait...no. Haha.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 2, 2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Used this benchmark for my tests.

Safari 1.2: 238.23 seconds (T1 time: 120.703 sec., T2 time: 3.259 sec., T3 time: 3.424 sec., T4 time: 47.776 sec., T5 time: 25.513 sec., T6 time: 9.499 sec., T7 time: 28.051 sec.)
Safari 1.3 dp1: 22.67 seconds (T1 time: 4.54 sec., T2 time: 2.502 sec., T3 time: 2.429 sec., T4 time: 4.549 sec., T5 time: 0.731 sec., T6 time: 7.136 sec., T7 time: 0.784 sec.)

An order of magnitude faster, and then some.

IGN, a site under Safari 1.2 that would take about 40 seconds on any page for me, is now usable again in Safari 1.3.

I'm just starting to have fun with it. I will post further impressions if they are significant, later.
Are you ger? The 6th, 7th, and 8th position was taken by someone with a Dual 2GHz using Safari (I can only suppose 1.3). Pretty impressive. Internet Explorer isn't there. Opera is the only browser that still beats Safari but who knows, maybe someone with a Dual 2.5GHz G5 next in the next month will blow past first place.

edit: never mind...you're not ger with the score you just mentionned. You're closer to what has been posted recently...you got a 1GHz G4?
( Last edited by Horsepoo!!!; Jul 2, 2004 at 11:10 AM. )

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 11:32 AM

In the Preferences, under Tabs, put a check next to "Always show tab bar" and it won't do that anymore.

Chris

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 12:03 PM

Question: was 1.3dp1 made available for ADC Online members, or only for Select/Premiere/WWDC? I'd be interested in trying it out, but I want to keep it legal.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2004, 01:07 PM

oh just go find it yourself.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jul 2, 2004, 01:13 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 12, 2004 at 12:38 PM. )

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
ADC Online members can download it. I just did.
Huh, I can't see it, just "Java 1.4.2 Update 1 Developer Preview 3". I'm out of assets, is that it?

(Select dev)

J

cephalopod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 02:08 PM

Yeah, me too, I see nada. I'm a free member, are you a paying customer?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
ADC Online members can download it. I just did.
Where? I couldn't find it when I checked their site yesterday. I could have overlooked something, though.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 02:35 PM

I would imagine you have to be a paying ADC member to download it, they only offer boring stuff for the freebie accounts

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
I would imagine you have to be a paying ADC member to download it, they only offer boring stuff for the freebie accounts
Daimoni said he got it on his ADC-Online account.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Daimoni said he got it on his ADC-Online account.
I have a paying (yes it is a low fee but ...) ADC student account and I can't see it neither, hence my post about getting it another way (I am a pirate you know).

Forum Links
Forum Rules