Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Finally Great New Show Concept! I am a Star, Help Me Out!

Finally Great New Show Concept! I am a Star, Help Me Out!
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 05:20 PM

Finally there is a show with a great new concept running here in Germany called something like "I'm a Start, help me out!"
10 celebrities are living in the Australian jungle and each day one of them has to do a jungle trial for the groups food.

It's a great show because of one of the celebrities is Caroline Beil:

Yesterday she has been in the "Ostrich Attack" trial:

Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 14, 2004, 05:25 PM

... new in germany only, old hat (pretty much) everywhere else ...

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
... new in germany only, old hat (pretty much) everywhere else ...
Yes? So where have you seen something like this before?

Today Caroline was in the "Monster Mud" trial. Unfortunate that she loses contenance so quickly. Unworthy of such a beautiful woman.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Turias
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 05:54 PM

Ah, the joys of trashy reality television shows. I'm glad to see that they've made their way to Germany, too.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Developer:

Today Caroline was in the "Monster Mud" trial. Unfortunate that she loses contenance so quickly. Unworthy of such a beautiful woman.
I believe the UK has "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!" I think they've had two series already.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 14, 2004, 05:59 PM

Crap like this has been on US TV for several years ... all kinds of mindless reality-TV bull like "Celebrity Boxing", "Celebrity Boot Camp" and "Celebrity Fear Factor" <-- I think that's the original to the new German show but I'm not sure - I don't watch reality TV.

If I want my head to go numb I do a search for all of ankle_brains recent threads ...

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
I believe the UK has "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!" I think they've had two series already.
Yeah, Phil Tuffnel won the second one and Tony Blackburn the first.

Yes - I am embarassed for knowing this, it was my girlfriend who told me. Honest.

talisker
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Black Book:

Yes - I am embarassed for knowing this, it was my girlfriend who told me. Honest.
Tony Blackburn. Jesus

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 14, 2004, 06:06 PM

That is one cheap-booty excuse. But I like it - I use it all the time.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2004, 06:10 PM

I believe the UK has "I'm a Celebrity, Get me out of here!"
Yes, that's how this show here is called too.

york28
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 07:24 PM

Reality TV =
We need less Democrats and Republicans, and more people that think for themselves.

infinite expanse

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by york28:
Reality TV =
I think it's a great show.

Here are pictures from yesterday's Monster Mud trial:

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 12:03 PM

I think it's a great show.

Most German television sucks majorly and this show is a prime example why. Cheap to produce, a perfect PR opportunity for talentless Z-list celebrities. The televisual equivalent of a late night kebab from a dodgy salesman on the Tottenham Court Road.

Most content shown in Germany is bought in from abroad. Not that there is a shortage of talent in Germany, but a plethora of TV stations are fighting for commercial survival and are unwilling to invest in original, high quality programs.

'I'm a celebrity' was originally developed in the UK.
So was 'Big Brother' 'Who wants to be a millionaire?' 'Pop Idol' and a whole range of other shows. Whenever I am in Germany and switch the TV on I feel like being in a time warp, back two years.

Jellytussle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2004, 12:08 PM

I never got how they were the winners. Surely the show's title indicates that viewers vote for those they want to rescue? That makes Blackburn a loser - more appropriate, somehow.
You see, my friends, pirates are the key. - thalo

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 15, 2004, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Most German television sucks majorly and this show is a prime example why.
Absolutely right - and completely wrong. Most (> 99.9%) German entertainment TV, as in quiz shows, talk shows, soaps, dramas, etc. sucks so bad that two minutes into watching any show of that kind, your toe nails will begin to curl and you'll feel hives breaking out all over your body. They are so bad, it's not even remotely funny. (Anyone remember the radio commercial about the German comedian ... "I just flew in from Germany - my arms still hurt"? Sort of like that). There are very, very, very few good shows within the entertainment category.

But, and here I have to stand up for the good Krautsmen, as far as documentaries, political reporting and news are concerned, they are among the very best out there.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 06:03 PM

Most German television sucks majorly and this show is a prime example why. Cheap to produce, a perfect PR opportunity for talentless Z-list celebrities.
I think it's pretty irrelevant how cheap something is to produce. I'm just happy that finally there is a great show with a good concept after a lot of trash like Big Brother or Superstars.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 15, 2004, 06:36 PM

I'm just happy that finally there is a great show with a good concept after a lot of trash like Big Brother or Superstars.
Aren't they all the same anyway?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Aren't they all the same anyway?
No, the idea of this show is that they have to do these trials. And the adventure trials have been great. See the image of the Ostrich Attack above. I really don't like the disgust trials however like that with the animals and such.

Also didn't like when they showed so much of them talking about sex and such. That's when I switched channel yesterday.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2004, 06:05 PM

She's incontenant? Yes, that is quite unfortunate.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 06:54 PM

So Costa Cordalis is now King of the Jungle.

Next week Katie Price is moving into the camp, but this isn't broadcasted any more.

deedar
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 07:03 PM

Muammar Gadafy was a contestant?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2004, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
Muammar Gadafy was a contestant?
Now that you say it, he seems to have some similarity, but no, it's not Gaddafi, that is Costa Cordalis the new King of the Jungle and a singer in the 70ies.

deedar
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 08:27 PM

Now that you say it, he seems to have some similarity, but no, it's not Gaddafi, that is Costa Cordalis the new King of the Jungle and a singer in the 70ies.
I was joking - I guess I should have used a or something, eh?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 08:10 AM

Here is another great picture of Caroline Beil:

Apparently the show is now running in the UK with Katie Price. If you have any pictures of that please post them.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 09:06 AM

Here's not a very good shot of her:

John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) is probably the most interesting contestant this year (he's got to do the Ostriches tonight)

You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) is probably the most interesting contestant this year (he's got to do the Ostriches tonight)
Never heard of him. The Ostrich Attack trial was great (mostly because of Caroline probably).

It's sad that no British channel can be received via Astra.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 09:16 AM

Never heard of him. The Ostrich Attack trial was great (mostly because of Caroline probably).

He was in the Sex Pistols.

I think Sky (the service that carries UK channels) uses Astra - but it's all encrypted.

[edit] - here's a better pic of Jordan:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bing69w...tie%20Price%20(Jordan).jpg
You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 09:17 AM

You can receive all British TV channels in Germany. You will need a separate dish and receiver but it is possible. The BBC has recently switched to unencoded broadcast.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 09:26 AM

You can receive all British TV channels in Germany. You will need a separate dish and receiver but it is possible. The BBC has recently switched to unencoded broadcast.
That's good news sort of, but I can't put up a separate dish since the house is not mine. I just hire a flat. I can only receive Astra here.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2004, 09:29 AM

Same title for the American version. The first, and only one so far, was aired last year (or the year before). I think Jlo's ex-husband won that one.

ETA: it was a very...very boring show.

Celebrity Mole, on the other hand, is very good (well, compare to "I'm a Celebrity...")

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2004, 09:33 AM

'I'm a celebrity' was originally developed in the UK.
So was 'Big Brother' 'Who wants to be a millionaire?' 'Pop Idol' and a whole range of other shows.
Don't foster the origins of Big Brother on us since it was originally developed in the Netherlands, were the good ol' Dutch started it off by doing the dirty.
Link

Sorry to be pedantic. And no, I've never seen more than a few minutes from any of the reality shows, I just keep up with what goes on in the media.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2004, 10:27 AM

Blame Europe for some reality TV

Survivor is based on a British format that failed until it was picked up in Sweden as 'Robinson'. See story.

Fear Factor is from the Netherlands I believe, we get both the US and British versions. The British one had teams, so there was a different dynamic, btw.

J

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2004, 11:09 AM

I think it's pretty irrelevant how cheap something is to produce. I'm just happy that finally there is a great show with a good concept after a lot of trash like Big Brother or Superstars.
And here I was, constantly wondering just exactly *whom* this **** was pandering to. You *do* realize that you're just watching an extension of Simon Fuller's "Deutschland sucht den Superstar" ("........... Idol") money-printing engine, don't you?

Same guy, same marketing department, same BMG contracts (Daniel K�blb�ck is from "Superstar", and I'll bet that Costa Cordalis is on BMG, as well, along with any other guests active in the music scene on the German show).

I do agree that production budget is not at all indicative of quality, but cheap shows and expensive international franchising have made Simon Fuller (inventor and marketer of the Spice Girls) tens of millions of pounds.

-s*

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 12:40 PM

I think Ginger is hot, so

"Deutschland sucht den Superstar" is schei�e, but if there are idiots who are calling/voting or buying the CDs I let them. So what's the problem if this Mr. Fuller is making money with this, as long as it's not our money?

I wonder what you would consider quality television.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2004, 12:55 PM

I wonder what you would consider quality television.
effgee's assessment above is pretty much dead-on.
Most (> 99.9%) German entertainment TV, as in quiz shows, talk shows, soaps, dramas, etc. sucks so bad that two minutes into watching any show of that kind, your toe nails will begin to curl and you'll feel hives breaking out all over your body. They are so bad, it's not even remotely funny. (Anyone remember the radio commercial about the German comedian ... "I just flew in from Germany - my arms still hurt"? Sort of like that). There are very, very, very few good shows within the entertainment category.

But, and here I have to stand up for the good Krautsmen, as far as documentaries, political reporting and news are concerned, they are among the very best out there.
I'd add to that much of 3sat's and arte's programming.

Harald Schmidt was great "entertainment" TV, Stefan Raab has his moments every once in a while, and "Quatsch Comedy Club" is pretty much the only mainstream comedy show that is at least occasionally funny, IMO.

-s*

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Harald Schmidt was great "entertainment" TV

Harald Schmidt was television nihilism. He coqueted with him finding the medium crap and yet being able to make a load of money with it, and did - nothing. That was funny for some time, but it was obvious that it couldn't last forever.
3sat/arte is "meta culture". Just because there is lots of talking about it, doesn't mean that it is art itself. At the end, no real content is transported either.

Katie Price bathing after her trial yesterday
( Last edited by Developer; Jan 27, 2004 at 03:44 PM. )

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 09:46 PM

death has gagged

reality tv is awful

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2004, 09:53 PM

It's not a BBC show - it's ITV. But you can get it in Germany (with the right gear), for sure - ITV carries UK coverage of the grands prix and a couple of guys I know stationed in Germany watch it on that channel.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 06:43 PM

The second season is running currently. I love "Dr. Bob" the physician that explains all the trials.

Very very unfortunately the viewers voted out Heydi Nunez Gomez.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 07:02 PM

AWESOME!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
AWESOME!
Can you explain to me why people call for this guy, but not for Nunez Gomez?

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by TETENAL:
Can you explain to me why people call for this guy, but not for Nunez Gomez?
errrr...because she's pretty much a lifeless ho and jimmy hartwig RAWKS!!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
errrr...because she's pretty much a lifeless ho and jimmy hartwig RAWKS!!!
She is gorgeous! And she's not lifeless. Looking at her is wonderful already.

I believe the majority of people calling are women without a clue.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 07:57 PM

didn't read this last time around, sorry:

Harald Schmidt was television nihilism. He coqueted with him finding the medium crap and yet being able to make a load of money with it, and did - nothing. That was funny for some time, but it was obvious that it couldn't last forever.
Actually, his nihilistic moments were the best.

However, if you had watched him somewhat regularly, you would have realized a structure in the madness.

And someone who re-enacts the crucial scenes of Homer's "Odyssey" with playmobil figures on television is beyond reproach in my book.

He also did some great, off-the-wall shows - several were set in theatres and entirely scripted, and such.
3sat/arte is "meta culture". Just because there is lots of talking about it, doesn't mean that it is art itself. At the end, no real content is transported either.

I'll have to disagree.

Have you ever seen "Mit offenen Karten" on arte? Absolutely brilliant geopolitical/historical background to current events.

Just one example.

Music shows on 3sat and arte and the others, including the live concerts, are another.

-s*

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Actually, his nihilistic moments were the best.
They were his best moments, but it couldn't last forever. He was great when deconstructing television, but eventually that was deconstructing his own show. There were bright moments at the end of his show like the one you mentioned, but it was starting to get boring. He picked the right moment to quit.

We will have to see how his new show on ARD is going to be. I don't think he can start where he stopped. As I think it was unfair to expect that from his successor. You can not begin a show with a nihilistic attitude. Incidentally Anke Engelke showed some of this kind of beloved sarcasm when where show was canceled (sort of forced), and she was great then. They should have give her more time to develop.
I'll have to disagree.
I'm not so sure what I meant by that. Probably that 3sat and arte isn't culture just because it talks a lot about culture (Literatisches Quartett, Kulturreport, Ingeborg-Bachmann Litature-Boredom etc.) I'd prefer television to make culture, not just report about it.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2004, 09:23 PM

They were his best moments, but it couldn't last forever. He was great when deconstructing television, but eventually that was deconstructing his own show. There were bright moments at the end of his show like the one you mentioned, but it was starting to get boring. He picked the right moment to quit.

We will have to see how his new show on ARD is going to be. I don't think he can start where he stopped. As I think it was unfair to expect that from his successor. You can not begin a show with a nihilistic attitude. Incidentally Anke Engelke showed some of this kind of beloved sarcasm when where show was canceled (sort of forced), and she was great then. They should have give her more time to develop.
Agreed on all counts.
I'm not so sure what I meant by that. Probably that 3sat and arte isn't culture just because it talks a lot about culture (Literatisches Quartett, Kulturreport, Ingeborg-Bachmann Litature-Boredom etc.) I'd prefer television to make culture, not just report about it.
I see what you mean, though I'm not sure I agree. I'll watch with that in mind and think about it, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules