Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > RAM for a new PB (in Toronto, Canada)

RAM for a new PB (in Toronto, Canada)
veras
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 04:18 PM

Hey! I'm about to take the dive and order a 15" 1.5 alubook, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to buy either 512mb or 1gb of RAM for a good price, preferably purchased either locally or on a Canadian online store. I'm not sure exactly what specifications are necessary for PB ram nowadays and what brands people have the least trouble with. I don't want to pay a mint (cough, buying ram from Apple) but more importantly I do want a trouble free experience.

Thanks in advance

(reposted because the first post seems to be messed up for some reason, feel free to nuke that one!)

Cheetah223
Forum Regular
May 4, 2005, 04:20 PM

Not a canadian site...But here's one for a gig. http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...155-111&depa=0
Have:
30GB 5G iPod
Want:
15" 2.16GHz MBP - 20" Cinema Display

alimunnik
May 4, 2005, 08:37 PM

The sad truth is that cheap RAM retailers in Canada are far fewer than in the U.S. , although Toronto may be an exception because of its large market. You will need a SODIMM PC2700 which works only in the 15 and 17 inch PB and the old G4 iMac, so the market for this chip is somewhat limited. eBay might be your best option if price is the big issue. I bought a Kingston 512 chip in Victoria, B.C. for $240 which is no bargain. I actually had to buy two of them in order to boost my RAM from 512 to 1G because Apple had installed a 256 chip in each of the two slots. Luckily for you, Apple became more humane this year and I understand that PB now come shipped with a single 512 chip in the lower slot, leaving the upper slot free for your upgrade.

ViewSonic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 10:09 PM

my favourite place is canada computers.

http://canadacomputers.com/cc/index....=pl&id=RAM.187

right now, 1GB DDR333 is $213 +tax, 512MB is $84. Check the indivudual store inventory on the website for stock.

veras  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the great link! Why is the 1gb of PC4300 so much cheaper? Will it be incompatible, or does overly fast RAM run okay in a slower slot like it typically does in a PC?

And do people generally have good experiences with Kingmax RAM and Powerbooks?

GreatWhiteNorth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 11:00 AM

If you're looking locally you try Carbon Computing (www.carbonation.com) or CPUsed (www.cpused.com). They carry all the RAM that shouldn't cause any trouble with your Mac.

Personally, even though I'm in Toronto, I still prefer to order my RAM from Crucial. It gives me the performance and the stuff just works. Never any problems.
I went to the Apple Store and all I got was this lousy t-shirt.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 03:38 PM

I and many of my friends have purchased Kingmax RAM from Canada Computers and no one has ever had a problem. It's cheap, good RAM.

As long as you have no problem with horrible customer service at Canada Computers, they always have the best prices on pretty much anything. But don't ask them the price of something because they often lie--look at their price list online, print it out, and show it to them in person.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 5, 2005, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard
I and many of my friends have purchased Kingmax RAM from Canada Computers and no one has ever had a problem. It's cheap, good RAM.

As long as you have no problem with horrible customer service at Canada Computers, they always have the best prices on pretty much anything. But don't ask them the price of something because they often lie--look at their price list online, print it out, and show it to them in person.
Yeah, don't go there for advice. You have to know what you're buying in advance. If so, then you're OK.

BTW, for mail order there's always NCIX.

drprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 05:47 PM

just thought i should add that i too purchased my ram from canada computers about a year ago... kingmax 512mb... no problems at all... great place to shop if you know exactly what you want...

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2005, 07:39 PM

I bought a 1GB stick from Canada Computers no problems, your best to bring your powerbook into the store so they can test it right there. The only weird thing that happened is that my 12inch decided it would try to net boot after I installed the new memory if you see the net boo icon (looks like a globe) just wait it out your powerbook will continue to boot normally after netboot gives up
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules