Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Font Problem...

Font Problem...
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2005, 12:58 PM

uhhh... I loaded a ton of fonts in the system - just kind goofing off. Now it literally takes minutes to crank up my applications as they are "optimizing font menu performance" or something along those lines. I'd like to kill them, but I don't know which are required system fonts. Is there any way to nuke all of the fonts in the font directory - except the ones that come standard with the OS?

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 10:47 AM

If you put them in your UserName/Library/Fonts folder, you can safely trash everything in that Font folder.

If however you put them in the main Library/Fonts folder or the System/Library/Fonts folder you have to be a bit more careful.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 10:56 AM

If you have Tiger (you didn't say), you can create Smart Font libraries, activating certain fonts for certain applications, then they deactivate when the application is quit.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by MacDog
If you put them in your UserName/Library/Fonts folder, you can safely trash everything in that Font folder.

If however you put them in the main Library/Fonts folder or the System/Library/Fonts folder you have to be a bit more careful.
dude, you rock! thank you. of course dumb luck on my part to have put them in the user folder. that would'a be a real pain in the ass.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
If you have Tiger (you didn't say), you can create Smart Font libraries, activating certain fonts for certain applications, then they deactivate when the application is quit.
I do have Tiger. Hmmm... how to create a smart font library?

MarkDouma™
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by danbrew
I do have Tiger. Hmmm... how to create a smart font library?
Actually, you can't create a true smart font collection. That feature was available in earlier builds of Font Book 2.0 but was removed from the final shipping version. Much of the code is still in the actual executable, but it isn't made accessible. These smart collections were like normal collections, except that you created them by specifying certain criteria that a font must meet, like foundry, name, etc.

There is (was) even a mention of this new feature somewhere on Apple's site. Apparently someone didn't get the memo that that feature was dropped.

Forum Links
Forum Rules