Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Angry customer regarding the midplane / logic board problem

Angry customer regarding the midplane / logic board problem (Page 2)
hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
I've never seen Apple not take care of something that was wrong. Ever.

They noticed the trend in the machines, and they took action, just not fast enough for some. Happy now?
You can still get that Dell, and then figure out what they are going to do with it when it breaks... can you take it to a Dell store and bitch? Nope... you gotta call some guy named "Johnny or Jeff" who's really in Dubai....

You guys crack me up.

Mate, you crack me up too, it took Crapple a year or so to correct it, and cost many customer money and time, and you still think they are as good as a company you are hoping??
You shouldn't be comparing with other companies either, its a problem and its the fact that Crapple cost us a lot of trouble and only just addressing it.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Aug 19, 2005, 12:26 AM

Dude, stop spreading FUD around. You are a liar, and a troll.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 12:28 AM

Dude, stop spreading FUD around. You are a liar, and a troll.

What is the lie?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 12:31 AM

If you are so unhappy, then. buy. a. Dell. See what they do for you... When it breaks you can take it in to get fixed, wait, strike that, you can't. You can always go and buy from one of those other companies you think are so much better than Apple right? Care to name a few?

The "crapple" thing is just too funny. It's what makes you a troll.

So, out with it. What company would you rather buy a computer from?

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 12:38 AM

If you are so unhappy, then. buy. a. Dell. See what they do for you... When it breaks you can take it in to get fixed, wait, strike that, you can't. You can always go and buy from one of those other companies you think are so much better than Apple right? Care to name a few?

The "crapple" thing is just too funny. It's what makes you a troll.

So, out with it. What company would you rather buy a computer from?

Mate...
You keep talking about Dell is crap, CrApple is good.... Is that makes you are troll too?
I still couldn't find the lie you were talking about.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 12:43 AM

This is a Mac forum dufus.

If you don't like your Mac, then sell it and get a Dell. The lie? You have yet to mention one company that is better than Apple. Can you? Troll....

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:18 AM

This is a Mac forum dufus.

If you don't like your Mac, then sell it and get a Dell. The lie? You have yet to mention one company that is better than Apple. Can you? Troll....

This forum suppose to talk about iMac, NOT about how good Apple is, nor about which company is better than Apple.
Besides, this is a discussion about angry customer regarding midplane problem and to share their experience. Not about happy customer.

If you want to be Steve's chum, go do so in Apple's official discussion board. Don't expect Angry Customer will kiss his bottom.

Here is for you:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 02:29 AM

Better yet, instead of acting like a little whiner, go buy a DELL. You have yet to tell me one company that is better than Apple, yet you continue your rediculous tirade.

I'm waiting. (Not really)

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 02:35 AM

RE: Neopolitan Nightmare? - Hood Hood
( Yesterday 2:36 am)

Its the classic the midplace / logic board problem mate!!

Check our this discussion that I've gathered a lot of informations:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=262088

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > Neopolitan Nightmare?
RE: Update on the midplane/capacitor issue - Hood Hood
( Aug 17, 2005 10:21 pm)

Did he say what has been changed exactly?
Can you take some photos for us when you get your iMac back?..

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > Update on the midplane/capacitor issue
RE: iMac G5 Screen - Serious hardware problem - Hood Hood
( Aug 16, 2005 8:56 pm)

Do a hardware test anyway, but you can arrange with Apple Service Provider for a repair at the same time, its the famous midplane logic board capacitor problem no doubt...
They will replace your logic board, takes about a month to get your computer back, depends on your local service...

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > iMac G5 Screen - Serious hardware problem
( Aug 15, 2005 9:06 pm)

The midplane problem seems so well known with iMac G5.

There is another interesting discussion about this:

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > iMac G5 Screen - Serious hardware problem
RE: Is my APPLE a LEMON !??!? Why does my iMac... - Hood Hood
( Aug 10, 2005 10:56 pm)

"Keep good records of what the problems are, have Apple repair and remain calm."
Apple will repair it again and again until you give up.

"Should you have additional problems be firm but polite and very clear on what you want."
I want a replacement with a more reliable machine, but Apple just couldn't commit it...

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > Is my APPLE a LEMON !??!? Why does my iMac...
RE: Is my APPLE a LEMON !??!? Why does my iMac... - Hood Hood
( Aug 8, 2005 10:35 pm)

You are not alone at all mate! The 2nd problem you are having is the classic midplane logic board problem...

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > Is my APPLE a LEMON !??!? Why does my iMac...
RE: Possible fix for iMac G5 video issues not midplane probl - Hood Hood
( Aug 1, 2005 10:12 am)

Its definitely the midplace / logic board problem mate!!

Check our this discussion that I've gathered a lot of informations:

I would suggest to take it to your Apple service provider as soon as possible before the warranty is void.

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > Possible fix for iMac G5 video issues not midplane problem
( Jul 29, 2005 10:10 pm)

You are so lucky that you got given a new machine. But watch out, it may actually be a refurblished one...

( Jul 29, 2005 9:07 am)

How can you be so happy for a machine that will break every so often?
Especially on this midplane logic board problem...

( Jul 20, 2005 10:56 pm)

The midplane problem seems so well known with iMac G5.

RE: iMac bad capacitors question - Hood Hood
( Jul 20, 2005 10:55 pm)

This is a known problem with iMac G5.

In: Apple - Discussions > iMac > iMac G5 > Displays > iMac bad capacitors question
RE: Display issue - Hood Hood
( Jul 12, 2005 12:29 am)

Its the midplane / logic board hardware problem. All u can do is to take it back to Apple Centre for repair and hope they will give u a board that won't won't have the same problem...
You are one weird dude. You mentioned this very thread over there SEVERAL times. "Interesting Discussion"... wow you are very unhappy.... (That was a nice way of saying, you are a Wacko)

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 02:47 AM

You are one weird dude. You mentioned this very thread over there SEVERAL times. "Interesting Discussion"... wow you are very unhappy.... (That was a nice way of saying, you are a Wacko)

Budster101, please talk about the midplane logic board problem and keep to the topic.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 03:07 AM

They [Apple] is going to fix it for you at no charge. "The midplane logic board problem".

Now maybe you could stop posting all over the internet like an idiot, over and over and over, how much you hate Apple, you've invented a new name for them "Crapple". This makes you a TROLL, which by the way is against the TOS of this MacNN Forum. Review the rules.

What else needs be said?

1. The problem has been identified by Apple as something they will honor through a series of computers that have serial numbers falling in this range at no charge.
2. You are free to purchase any other computer should you feel that Apple is not treating you as a valued customer. You have failed to mention any other company as per my request that would do this for you.
3. There is always a three. Why do you feel it necessary to bounce people from one board to another so you can bash Apple and gain some sort of following? A support group to help you push your way around. I'm not going to feed your dillusion that Apple has done something to you. Like I have stated. If you aren't happy, take your business to another company like Dell. I'm sure they would appreciate your business, and when their garbage of a computer fails you, you can (not take it in to be fixed) you would have to call their support center in DUBAI...

I think you are just one of those "I can never be satisfied" customers. No matter what you do for them, they will still bitch and moan. Is your computer under warranty? Get it fixed. Don't like the extended warranty? Guess what? When it runs out, then you have to pay for support...

I hear Dell has a great 90 day warranty. (Standard) You have to buy the 3 year plan for $189 for laptops...

I hope that was on topic enough for you?

RECAP:

Problem taken care of by Apple. It took a bit longer than expected, but they are taking care of those affected.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 03:38 AM

Crapple is a known term, do some googling and you will find out. Just because you know so little...

I don't hate apple, I only trying to gather Case Number and gather attentions, in the hope that Apple will get some good logic boards instead of dodgy one, fix the problem once and for all.
If the problem has been taken care of, why do they have to extend the warranty? Can't they just fix it once and for all? They are now willing to take the responsiblity, but machines still keep failing, costing us money and time (I said this many time).

Why you keep talking about Dell? This is a Mac forum as you mentioned.

Can I get Mac OSX on dell? If so, I will consider switching over.
We can only do business with OSX because Apple's monopoly, didn't you know that?

Why you make it sounds like its our fault that the Mac is failing?

discotronic
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by memory-minus
The $50 charge only applies if the machine is either (a) outside the 1 year hardware warranty or (b) the machine is within the 1 year hardware warranty AND the problem is NOT found to be a hardware failure. Now, who needs to do some research?
You must have had better luck than me. I tried calling Apple after the first 3 months and they didn't even want to talk to me until I paid the $50. That is all the research that needs to be done. Apple isn't the company it used to be.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
You must have had better luck than me. I tried calling Apple after the first 3 months and they didn't even want to talk to me until I paid the $50. That is all the research that needs to be done. Apple isn't the company it used to be.

For all those who doesn't yet know, Apple has decided to extend the repair for iMac G5 problem, hence finally admitting responsiblity to this well know, large scale problem.
Please check the link below:
http://www.apple.com/support/imac/re...ensionprogram/

tazforky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by discotronic
tazforky

Call Apple and tell them you want to speak to Customer Relations. Have all your case numbers handy. Demand a refund but be nice about it. Tell them about all the troubles you are having. I did this and got a PowerMac as a replacement.

The lemon that is next in line will be the PowerMac SP 1.8GHz that Apple replaced my iMac with. It is based on the same logic board as the iMac and it has been nothing but trouble from day one. I've owned many different Macs over the years. I've also owned many different PCs over the years. As far as hardware goes I've always had more problems out of my Macs than I have my PCs.
Thanks for the advice. I'm wary of starting the whole cycle over again with another POS replacement machine. The 4th motherboard is now working flawlessly for over 24 hours, yippee! Apple overnighted me a free Tiger upgrade ($129 value) for my troubles as I was still running Panther from when I bought in February. For me that was more valuable than playing Apple hardware lotto.

The story about the 2 year extended warranty you have to read Very Carefully. They only will honor the warranty replacement if THEY determine it was due to the known video or power problem. This also does not include any phone support when it does fail, only the parts and labor. Luckily I bought the 3 year AppleCare so at any time 2.5 years from now when my iMac has garnered the 30th onsite dispatch to my home for service, I can play the trump card and demand a new machine (whatever the latest one at that time is).

I've been considering becoming an Apple Authorized Service Provider as it seems to be very lucrative. Many customers get 2 or more dispatches for repair which is simply swapping out some boards, power supplies, or disk drives. The tech said you only have to take an online Apple course and pass a simple test to become one.

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2005, 10:05 AM

I can't remember if I heard it on the MacCast or Inside Mac Radio, but Apple just had the highest customer service rating. Beating out Dell.

I have a 20" iMac and have only had an issue one time where it the fan was running hard and I had to do a hard reset. Hopefully now that Apple has publicly announced they realize the issue, everyone with the problem can be taken care of.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

budster101
Baninated
Aug 19, 2005, 10:32 AM

Here is a more interesting thread on the topic.
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=267036

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 19, 2005, 02:35 PM

Here is an article about how highly Apple's customer service rating is: CLICKY
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

GMas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 06:37 PM

Budster,

I do not understand your position. You seem to be stating that Apple is a good company because it addressed the issue, while other companies in the same position would not. I don't think people in this thread care much about other companies. They seem to be rather peeved about [FONT=Arial Black]the amount of time[/FONT] it took Apple to act on this known issue.

Do you find it was an acceptable amount of time to wait to acknowledge the issue or not?

Apple also seems to be taking its sweet time in acknowledging the mac mini video problem for example. Now don't get me wrong, I prefer Mac to Dell, but that does not mean I have to take any subpar service from Macintosh. Furthermore, standards of quality should not be derived by comparison to other companies that you find inadequate from the get go. I deserve good service period, that is why I switched to Mac, and I expect better from them.

Gmas.

PS: accusing others of being trolls is never productive in my view. If you truly feel that someone is just writing to provoke, then it would probably be better to ignore them.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2005, 10:40 PM

Here is a comment from a friend of mine:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Two years! Not enough!

My system is in for repair yet again. This time - a new hard drive. How
much longer will Apple blow money on repairs that once you add parts and
labor cost more than replacing with a brand new second generation iMac G5?

This warranty extension is a very small step. But a step none the less.
Two years is a joke. AppleCare covers you for three. If the extension
was two years after warranty expires (i.e. 1 year factory warranty + 2
year extension, OR 3 year applecare warranty, + 2 year extension). I
think this scenario will be more fair. Why does Apple think that just
because a faulty cap doesn't blow within 2 years it never will?

I am sure you know what Apple did back in the day with the faulty logic
boards on the first PPC laptop. "Apple quickly stepped up to the plate
and addressed the problem pro-actively, offering a 7-year extended
service program (RMA) covering the several troubled areas (contrary to
popular belief, it wasn’t an overall warranty extension)."

http://www.macopinion.com/columns/roadwarrior/03/12/16/

mad_nasty_nizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 10:31 PM

How can people be complaining about Apple's tech support when on the 17th, Apple Hot News had this post: “U.S. consumers lambasted Dell Inc. for poor customer service in a survey conducted last quarter, sending the world’s largest PC vendor into a virtual tie with the rest of the PC market behind the industry-leading efforts of Apple Computer Inc. For the second year in a row, Apple received the best rating from PC buyers in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), said David Van Amburg, general manager of the ACSI.”
2002 12" iBook Dual USB 800MHz/30GB/640MB/Combo/AirPort
2003 3rd Gen iPod 10GB in BAD condition i need one of those spiffy new 20GB color screen ones :(
2004 iMac 1.25GHz/80GB/1GB RAM/SuperDrive/AirPort Extreme

budster101
Baninated
Aug 29, 2005, 10:43 PM

Mad Nasty Nizzle, yo bro, your siggy is too biggy.... yo.

only 200 x 50 pixels.

Word.

Peace/out.

sweetymac
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2005, 10:54 PM

My apple broke with the logic plane thingy going dead, but apple fixed it very fast. If i had this problem with my old compaq nobody would have fixed it for me. And if it breaks again apple will fix it so why should I be angry is my question? If i had any other computer I think i'd be so lost, i've seen best buy's warrantys and ive seen how many pissed off pc users go there with problems which they WON'T fix even if they have a manufacturers warranty. I felt so much more comfortable dealing with apple.

Now im crossing my fingers my mac won't break but if it does apple said they will fix it. If apple fixes broken macs then you can't really complain. I know other companies who would totally turn their heads away and be like screw you, with such bad after sale policies.

I know because I took my mac to best buy after i got it and they were so RUDE to me, not helping at all because I did not buy best buys warranty. Anyways here in my city the apple dealership took it and fixed it and they were so nice to me. If you don't like to call apple and your mac broke just go straight to the dealership or apple repair center they would be happy to help you. If your mac is under warranty they kind of have to fix it by law unless it is something you did yourself like threw it on the floor etc.

Wow if apple is giving certain people an extra 2 years that is A LOT! Not many companies would. I have used apple the first time, and its my favorite, you know when I had other computers I was in constant worry my whole head was filled with viruses and spyware because of my computer it would just get so bad countless hours wasted on that crap. And when my friends see the imac they are all so amazed...like they seen the most special computer ever.

My point is we should be happy they are FIXING IT because lots of companies when you buy an item will be like screw you and not look at your face twice. I've worked in retail for 7 years and I know how customer service is. If you phone apple and someone is rude to you maybe they are a bad employee it doesnt make every staff member rude...or the company rude if they are willing to fix it be happy and be glad you have a computer lots of the people in this world dont there are bigger problems out there trust me!!!

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2005, 02:48 AM

I have a Rev B 20" 2.0 Ghz iMac that I bought back in May. Now my screen looks like this periodically:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/...eenjumble4.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/...nstalldisk.jpg

I'll just be using it normally and suddenly... BAM! The screen looks like that for a few minutes, then it goes back to normal. Then it comes back, then goes away again. Etc. I have an APP and I'll be taking my iMac into the nearest Apple Store later this week... but still. Grr.

JoHoNew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 05:44 PM

Pikeman, I feel (or rather felt) your pain. Mine died about three weeks ago, having some very similar symptoms, but was fixed quickly by Apple. From the looks of the screen shots, it's the mid-plane logic board. Good luck...

phil_w
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by tazforky
Thanks for the advice. I'm wary of starting the whole cycle over again with another POS replacement machine. The 4th motherboard is now working flawlessly for over 24 hours, yippee! Apple overnighted me a free Tiger upgrade ($129 value) for my troubles as I was still running Panther from when I bought in February. For me that was more valuable than playing Apple hardware lotto.

The story about the 2 year extended warranty you have to read Very Carefully. They only will honor the warranty replacement if THEY determine it was due to the known video or power problem. This also does not include any phone support when it does fail, only the parts and labor. Luckily I bought the 3 year AppleCare so at any time 2.5 years from now when my iMac has garnered the 30th onsite dispatch to my home for service, I can play the trump card and demand a new machine (whatever the latest one at that time is).

I've been considering becoming an Apple Authorized Service Provider as it seems to be very lucrative. Many customers get 2 or more dispatches for repair which is simply swapping out some boards, power supplies, or disk drives. The tech said you only have to take an online Apple course and pass a simple test to become one.
Hey - don't start on the Service Providers - we work extremely hard to please the public AND keep our status as AASP. It's not JUST AN ONLINE APPLE COURSE. It takes skill, patience, knowledge and great investment from our companies to be AASPs. You try swapping the logic board in an iBook for example - lets see 1. How long it takes you, 2. How many screws you have left at the end, and 3. If the machine actually works when finished...

Less of your mis-informed comments please.

budster101
Baninated
Sep 2, 2005, 07:21 PM

Bravo.

Timmay
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pikeman
I have a Rev B 20" 2.0 Ghz iMac that I bought back in May. Now my screen looks like this periodically:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/...eenjumble4.jpg

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/t/...nstalldisk.jpg

I'll just be using it normally and suddenly... BAM! The screen looks like that for a few minutes, then it goes back to normal. Then it comes back, then goes away again. Etc. I have an APP and I'll be taking my iMac into the nearest Apple Store later this week... but still. Grr.
I had the exactly the same problem with my Revision B 20" 2ghz imac which I also bought in May. So I took it back to my local Apple store and they took it in and it took them a week to fix. They had some issue getting a replacement motherboard, so they gutted another new one!

I'm a little miffed that my machine started to die so early but as I understand it the main problem is with faulty capacitors which also affected other manufactures as well! Apple were just unlucky!

cbr600f4
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2005, 05:28 PM

Hoodmulti,

I am not sure exactly what your purpose is on this website. I understand that it can be frustrating to work with Apple on hardware issues. My Powerbook G4 went in for repairs multiple times before it worked correctly. However, I have owned about 8 Macs and that was the only one with a hardware issue.

It is really frustrating how you are on here and just blantantly bitching because you want to bitch. Apple replaced your board. Why do you have this campaign out for Apple right now?

As for comparison to other vendors, Apple has a reason for there procedures. A few years ago, I was fixing a friend's Dell, dealth with their horrible tech support and replaced a motherboard that was working fine because the tech rep on the phone was an idiot. Apple has neither the time nor the money to waste on repairs like this. This means sometimes it might take some time and convincing to get things fixed.

Your behavior on this board is ridiculous. While I understand your frustrations, you acting like you are and admin on this board with 24 posts is stupid. You are telling members with over 1,000 posts to stay on topic? Their opinion counts too.

That is all I have to say.

Nick

Tikas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 09:04 PM

I've heard that Apple in Europe is selling "new rev1 imacs g5 1.6-1.8" with delivery on September. Of course, they have to use all 30% repaired logic boards. But the other part of configuration is the old one, with smaller HD and 256Mb RAM, why not to put rev2 size disks and 512 RAM and sell a little bit cheaper? Also clearly stating that it was big Apple mistake and they accept it and apologize. And all necessary changes are made and these computers will work ok (i hope they really found and eliminated all problems already)
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz SD
iPod 20Gb 3G + Alpine
iPod shuffle 1Gb

serranot
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by phil_w
Hey - don't start on the Service Providers - we work extremely hard to please the public AND keep our status as AASP. It's not JUST AN ONLINE APPLE COURSE. It takes skill, patience, knowledge and great investment from our companies to be AASPs. You try swapping the logic board in an iBook for example - lets see 1. How long it takes you, 2. How many screws you have left at the end, and 3. If the machine actually works when finished...

As a side comment, I replaced the hard drive and optical drive in mine. I got it back together, no extra screws, and it works perfectly. But I sure didn't enjoy it as a novice, especially getting the case halves separated.
T-bob

Zang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by italiano
I've had my Imac 20" Revision 1 for 12 days now (Manager's Special at CompUSA) - yesterday the firewire ports died - also will not boot now from a CD or DVD - will be bringing it to Apple tomorrow after work - I was hoping I wouldn't be one of the 30% but alas...
Ever wonder why it might be a Manager's Special? While floor models, etc. are great deals, often they've been mishandled and mistreated.

I've heard of some problems with the iMacs, but this is the first I've heard of Apple rejecting someone. Is the machine still even under warranty? Are there visible signs of damage on the casing, or other things that could cause Apple to reject it?

Having worked retail before, people will try and return stuff in the worst shape, and try and fault the store or the manufacturer. When so many others have received replacement or repairs, I can't see why one person wouldn't, unless there were other circumstances of which we haven't heard.

Zang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by hoodmulti
Hi there SweetyMac,

My iMac is a Rev.A and I asked for a Rev.B if they are going to repair it, but I was rejected...
Umm, it doesn't work that way. You're asking for a newer product model in return for your old used one.

You can't buy an '05 BMW, have problems with it, then turn around and demand an '06 model. Companies are not obligated to give you any more than what you paid for. Now I see why this is so ridiculous. They're willing to repair your iMac, but not replace it with a newer model, as you're demanding. That is completely fair, and within their rights. If your warranty has expired, they don't have to do sweet FA.

If I were having SO many problems with an iMac, then I'd begin to question whether it was somethign *I* was doing. "Am I keeping the computer in a hot area of the house? Is there too much humidity in this room? Am I letting my cat sleep on it, thereby getting cat hair all on the inside?"

Repairing a product multiple times is not cost-effective. So either Apple engineers/repair techs are complete incompetant morons, or there just *may* be something else that's not being mentioned. Unfortunately, because the general populace understands the inner workings of computers about as much as they know how to build a proton accelerator, there's a tendency to blame the manufacturer once something goes wrong. I've heard of people dropping iPods, and Apple fixing them free of charge (even though damage caused by the user is not covered by warranty), so Apple's not adverse to "being nice" to users.

The more you speak, the more your argument is coming across as just ignorant and greedy. So really, stop complaining that Apple won't give you a newer product than the one you have. Suck it up, buttercup.
( Last edited by Zang; Sep 4, 2005 at 12:28 PM. )

WitchKing
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 04:25 PM

Quick question here: have you read the warranty papers or the licence you agreed to when you first turned on the computer? No? Who does? So you agreed to a contract you didn't read?

Apple is within their rights, and you agreed to play by their rules when you pressed the "accept" button.
[FONT=Georgia]Witch-King of Angmar[/FONT]

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 10:25 PM

Zang,

I was requesting for a newer board because I want to problem go away once and for all, I don't see any benefit from getting a rev. B upgrade at all. Please remember I was only asking for the logic board, not a bigger harddisk or faster CPU, nor a bigger display.
The problem lies with the logic board's capacitor.

I am a techie myself for the past 15 years, and I've been dealing with computers all day. I've never seen a computer breaks after only 6 months.

Besides, I am writing on this forum not because Apple refuse to give a replacement. It was all about they were ignoring the problem, they should have fixed the problem, not replacing another problem board. Many customers just getting another problem logic board. Going to the service center every few months. Costing us customer time and money.

Please don't make it sounds like we are some greedy bad dude trying to get somthing out of it, and Apple is the victim of all these.

Thanks for your input though.

Originally Posted by Zang
Umm, it doesn't work that way. You're asking for a newer product model in return for your old used one.

You can't buy an '05 BMW, have problems with it, then turn around and demand an '06 model. Companies are not obligated to give you any more than what you paid for. Now I see why this is so ridiculous. They're willing to repair your iMac, but not replace it with a newer model, as you're demanding. That is completely fair, and within their rights. If your warranty has expired, they don't have to do sweet FA.

If I were having SO many problems with an iMac, then I'd begin to question whether it was somethign *I* was doing. "Am I keeping the computer in a hot area of the house? Is there too much humidity in this room? Am I letting my cat sleep on it, thereby getting cat hair all on the inside?"

Repairing a product multiple times is not cost-effective. So either Apple engineers/repair techs are complete incompetant morons, or there just *may* be something else that's not being mentioned. Unfortunately, because the general populace understands the inner workings of computers about as much as they know how to build a proton accelerator, there's a tendency to blame the manufacturer once something goes wrong. I've heard of people dropping iPods, and Apple fixing them free of charge (even though damage caused by the user is not covered by warranty), so Apple's not adverse to "being nice" to users.

The more you speak, the more your argument is coming across as just ignorant and greedy. So really, stop complaining that Apple won't give you a newer product than the one you have. Suck it up, buttercup.
( Last edited by hoodmulti; Sep 5, 2005 at 11:23 AM. )

macimmortal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 03:29 AM

Dude,
Quitcherbitchin and go buy a Dull.
Macimmortal

Zang,

I was requesting for a newer board because I want to problem go away once and for all, I don't see any benefit from getting a rev. B upgrade at all. Please remember I was only asking for the logic board, not a bigger harddisk or faster CPU, nor a bigger display.
The problem lies with the logic board's capacitor.

I am a techie myself for the past 15 years, and I've been dealing with computers all day. I've never seen a computer breaks after only 6 months.

Besides, I am writing on this board not because Apple refuse to give a replacement. It was all about they were ignoring the problem, they should have fixed the problem, not replacing another problem board. Many customers just getting another problem logic board. Going to the service center every few months. Costing us customer time and money.

Please don't make it sounds like we are some greedy bad dude trying to get somthing out of it, and Apple is the victim of all these.

Thanks for your input though.

hoodmulti  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 10:12 AM

I really wish I could, but can't, since the design and printing industry are all dominated by Apple.
Its not for leisure, mate. We have to be compatible with vendors and use Mac.

Originally Posted by macimmortal
Dude,
Macimmortal
( Last edited by hoodmulti; Sep 5, 2005 at 10:19 AM. )

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by macimmortal
Dude,
Macimmortal
Well, I hope it happens to you and budster101 the day after your warranty runs out. Your machine dead because of an inherent, widespread defect in Apple's hardware design.

Then we can all say "Buy. A. Dell" and quote customer service figures like arrogant arses.

I have to admit, for the first time ever, I was hovering over the Report Abuse for budsters's attempts to destroy this thread.

Good luck hoodmulti.

macimmortal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 11:28 AM

I really wish I could, but can't, since the design and printing industry are all dominated by Apple.
Its not for leisure, mate. We have to be compatible with vendors and use Mac.
Um...keep trolling. This entire thread imho is just a big ad for PCs. I've used Macs for nearly 20 years and I've NEVER had Apple treat me badly. In fact, if you paid 1500.00 or more for a computer and you didn't buy Applecare, then YOU are the one that screwed up, not Apple. When I buy a computer, I ask myself, "Can I afford to plunk down another x dollars in 357 days for a computer if this one breaks?"

If you can't, you should have purchased Applecare. And as for your cries of incompatibility, which design apps only work on the Mac? As an administrator of over 500 PCs and Macs, I don't see these alleged applications that only work on the Mac, or don't generate cross platform files. Indesign, Quark, and others are totally cross platform. Go pick up this months issue of Consumer Reports if you want to see the TRUTH in this big troll-fest.

Apple LEADS THE INDUSTRY in customer satisfaction. NUFF SAID.

Lastly, I full well expect to see your sad attempts to get the last word once again after people have refuted EVERYTHING that you said time and time again.

Macimmortal

Oh...and clebin:

Arrogance has nothing to do with have a strong stance and defending facts. Arrogance has more to do with standing up for opinions that are rooted in a LACK OF FACTS. The facts are that Apple is repairing a ton of these machines FREE OF CHARGE. Period. This guy needs to lose the attitude and speak to customer service in a civil tone and I'm SURE that they will take care of his machine.

tazforky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 10:26 PM

My comments were not a rub against the Service Providers, but rather the apparent incompetence of the Apple hardware team. I kept hearing over the years that Apple has the most innovative and elite hardware designers. They catered to a niche market that only some would appreciate. The product I bought from Apple was crap out the door.

In reality all this chest thumping about service and support ratings means nothing if the hardware/software simply did at least the basic functionality, like stay powered on, give a legible video display, or not catch fire. The absolute best service and support is the one you don't have to call, ever. The fact that Apple is willing to dispatch a service provider to my home 3 times since owning the computer for 6 months is not really that impressive when the system still didn't work after repair. The tech would show up and install the new (refurbished) logic board after an hour of effort each time only to find the replacement DOA or partially functional. Absolutely no burn-in testing was done before shipping these boards out to customers. Poor design, followed by an even poorer refurbishment service. The 4th logic board does seem to be working so far though.

With respect to your comment about keeping track of screws, that's more of a personality thing than a learned thing. You can send people to school for years to get a medical degree and yet scissors and various other medical instruments get mistakenly left inside patients. I was building home grown PC's in the early 80's with no instruction manuals, training, and misplacing screws were the least of my worries, but I'd still get stable systems built using mismatched parts from a variety of vendors. Some people always lock keys in their car or run out of gas, others don't. Screw misplacement cannot be learned.

Before posting my original message, I seriously had looked at the Apple requirements:
http://www.apple.com/support/program.../#requirements

At that time they had some sample tests and training which seemed relatively simple. I had never seen a Mac before this year and I scored 80% correct on the sample test questions. Those links seem to be gone now and you have to register to get more info Anybody who has tried to interact with the "Authorized" Apple Service Provider of the local CompUSA hasn't yet experienced the pinnacle of incompetence. Mine didn't know the difference between an iMac and an iBook. I'm sure there are lots of good ones out there. The tech that came to my house several times was a great one and he was 19 years old just starting college. It was he that told me about the online training. I would say that checking Apple's own web site and testimony from a service tech seemed to be somewhat informed.

With over 30% of the iMac's failing in the field and requiring several service calls per machine, it seems business is good for AASP's. But then again, you'd have no job if the computers were well designed and lasted for 10 years without fail.

Originally Posted by phil_w

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2005, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by mad_nasty_nizzle
How can people be complaining about Apple's tech support when on the 17th, Apple Hot News had this post: “U.S. consumers lambasted Dell Inc. for poor customer service in a survey conducted last quarter, sending the world’s largest PC vendor into a virtual tie with the rest of the PC market behind the industry-leading efforts of Apple Computer Inc. For the second year in a row, Apple received the best rating from PC buyers in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI), said David Van Amburg, general manager of the ACSI.”

if you dont mind me asking after skimming through this thread is apple's customer service really that good in the states?Im not doubting it but after being treated like an idiot by apple on my last call to apple customer service and having to wait over 3 weeks for an onsite for my imac im stumpped why the service is so bad in Australia.
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Skeptik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 10:41 AM

Budster, I'm sure people are asking themselves just which part of Apple you work for. Your comments are far too intense to come from just a fanboy.
All I can say to you is that Apple products are not perfect, and if you shut out any criticism you 'don't like', how will things ever improve. You have your head in the sand.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 11:47 AM

Why did you post to such an old thread?
Agent69

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 01:29 PM

I had a bad Rev. A and did not have AppleCare... the help support offered me AppleCare at a reduced rate and then sent me a new midplane and free shipping to return the old one. That iMac is still running out in our living room (it's my wife's).
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Tuishimi
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tuishimi
I had a bad Rev. A and did not have AppleCare... the help support offered me AppleCare at a reduced rate and then sent me a new midplane and free shipping to return the old one. That iMac is still running out in our living room (it's my wife's).
I am talking about the original G5 iMac rev. A... just to be extra clear.
24 inch iMac 2.4, 320GB HD, 4 GB RAM
500 GB Ext FW Drv, 120 GB Ext FW Drv

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Why did you post to such an old thread?
I reported him. Posting to threads older than 6 months is against the rules.

cblake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 10:26 PM

My iMac display screen is black with faint windows in the background. The computer chimes and boots up fine. I can even type in my username and passord and I can see the "Antivirus" bold lettering within the black screen. I stopped using this computer a few months ago because of this problem.

I've been doing some research online. I am wondering how prevalent this problem is...including other models. I know that that recently Apple settled a class action lawsuit related to the display problems in the Apple Studio Display. Apparently, the inverter is the culprit there.

I note here that the iBook is showing problems with the display screen, too. There is a "Repair Extension Program" in effect (or was until July 2007) for certain iBooks.

How much does Apple know about this problem? How prevalent is it? Are all affected Apple customers being treated fairly? Are all affected Apple customers being supported when complaints are made? Does Apple have evidence of a widespread problem with the video display in several models of its computer base? How many formal customer complaints has it had to date?

How many inverter replacements have the authorized Apple repair centers done in the last few years? What has Apple been charging for these repairs?

My computer is just now 4 years old. I have not used it for many months now. I HAD the "Apple Care" and it was in effect until the last week in August of 2006. This problem cropped up just outside the "Apple Care Warranty" period.

I ask...is this fair? The computer was purchased new and stayed in one location for all this time. It was never used every day or for long periods of time. It was very well cared for and used by only one person.

My hope is that others will come foward and share their Apple computer video display problems. It is important to send Apple a CERTIFIED LETTER to formally notify it about the problem. Consumers should take nothing for granted and document everything. They should also use the internet to link with others who are similarly-affected. That way, the corporation cannot claim ignorance about the problems that surface.

Thank you for letting me know if you have had a similar problem to the one I describe.

Charlene Blake
[email protected]
[email protected]

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2007, 11:47 PM

Set an apointment with the genius bar at the Apple Store. You may be very surprised at what they do for you. Fixed me right up. No warranty. No applecare. Took about 30 minutes right in the store.

molarszbt18
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2007, 02:40 AM

yawn for me as well.

Its kinda funny becuause the amount of iMacs apple sells and the # of complains on here is still samll. Seems like a lot but the same people posting the same garbage it looks like a lot. Why not write down the user names and that list wont be so long. Also Apple does have a repair extension program for this iMac issue.

"iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for
Video and Power Issues - September 2005

Computer model: iMac G5, 17-inch and 20-inch

iMac Serial number range, first 5 digits:
W8435 - W8522 or
QP435 - QP522 or
CK435 - CK522 or
YD435 - YD522"

"Mac G5 Repair Extension Program for
Power Supply Issues - November 2006

Computer model: iMac G5, 20-inch

iMac EMC number: 2056"

For a company to do this I give a lot of respect for. If you complain on here and not seek apple to fix your unit your retarted. Apple gives you a 1year war. by default and you can buy APL Care, if you dont your loss. A 3yr coverage is really good considering most people by that time get a new computer anyways.

Forum Links
Forum Rules