Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight doesn't search files it should

Spotlight doesn't search files it should
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2006, 09:35 AM

I know how much praise Spotlight gets, but a search facility that doesn't return a full set of results is useless to me.

If somebody can provide a fix/workaround then that would be great, but it doesn't excuse it. A search, like the Mac, should "just work".

I just searched a folder of plain text (PHP) files for the word "function". 12 files were returned. I know for a fact there's 40+ files in that hierarchy (max 3 levels deep) with 'function' in. There's no reason for Spotlight to choose them and ignore the rest.

I copy the folder to my Home folder. No results returned on that one. I open up one of the files and save it. Still no results, even on the directly enclosing folder. I try that with BBEdit and skedit. Still no results. So, I go back to searching in my text-editor - it's slow but it does the job it's supposed to.

I don't care about the clever stuff - if it can't do the basics, what good is it?

Chris
( Last edited by clebin; Mar 17, 2006 at 09:42 AM. )

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2006, 10:13 AM

Spotlight isn't very good, that is for sure. It borderlines between passable as a beta to awkwardly incompetent.

Try this app, it helps re-indexing and choosing what to index etc.

http://www.kelleycomputing.net:16080/spotlightindexer/

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

clbell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 01:10 PM

I wanted to recompress a bunch of jpg images to jpeg 2000 (.jp2) to save space on my MacBook. I discovered that Spotlight will not index metadata in .jp2 files. Great. I hope they add this in the next update to Spotlight. I always thought Apple was forward looking and seeing as jp2 will likely be the successor to jpg I figure they would have it covered as well.

Originally Posted by clebin
I know how much praise Spotlight gets, but a search facility that doesn't return a full set of results is useless to me.

If somebody can provide a fix/workaround then that would be great, but it doesn't excuse it. A search, like the Mac, should "just work".

I just searched a folder of plain text (PHP) files for the word "function". 12 files were returned. I know for a fact there's 40+ files in that hierarchy (max 3 levels deep) with 'function' in. There's no reason for Spotlight to choose them and ignore the rest.

I copy the folder to my Home folder. No results returned on that one. I open up one of the files and save it. Still no results, even on the directly enclosing folder. I try that with BBEdit and skedit. Still no results. So, I go back to searching in my text-editor - it's slow but it does the job it's supposed to.

I don't care about the clever stuff - if it can't do the basics, what good is it?

Chris

streetlightm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2006, 01:41 PM

butler owns spotlight (except for the part where spotlight can search inside files)

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?t...prache=english

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 19, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by streetlightm
butler owns spotlight (except for the part where spotlight can search inside files)

http://www.petermaurer.de/nasi.php?t...prache=english
Well that isn't really owning it at all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules