Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Renamed home folder - Everything gone - PLEASE HELP!

Renamed home folder - Everything gone - PLEASE HELP!
Mongoos150
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 10:51 PM

Big problem but I feel like there's an easy fix. Earlier today, because I cannot rename my 'short name' under my account, under the finder I renamed my home folder (the name next to the house icon in the finder). This turned out to be a mistake - when I restarted my computer the folder renamed itself back to its original name, but all of my preferences, keychains, even desktop files were all gone. Nothing shows up under iTunes. It's as if my computer was just shipped to me. If I click on the Macintosh HD and go to users, the home folder that I changed the name to is there with all of my desktop files, keychains etc... How do I "reload" my computer to use the original library files, desktop files, etc...? I'd like to completely get rid of all 'preferences' in the computer except the original library/files on my computer before I changed the name of my home folder. There are no other accounts or users on this machine. Thank you!
24" iMac 2.16GHz C2D

kick52
Baninated
Dec 31, 2006, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoos150 View Post
Big problem but I feel like there's an easy fix. Earlier today, because I cannot rename my 'short name' under my account, under the finder I renamed my home folder (the name next to the house icon in the finder). This turned out to be a mistake - when I restarted my computer the folder renamed itself back to its original name, but all of my preferences, keychains, even desktop files were all gone. Nothing shows up under iTunes. It's as if my computer was just shipped to me. If I click on the Macintosh HD and go to users, the home folder that I changed the name to is there with all of my desktop files, keychains etc... How do I "reload" my computer to use the original library files, desktop files, etc...? I'd like to completely get rid of all 'preferences' in the computer except the original library/files on my computer before I changed the name of my home folder. There are no other accounts or users on this machine. Thank you!
well, i'm not sure how OS X deals with this.. it depends on if it creates new prefs.. or moves the old ones, etc.

i'm quite sure you can just rename your home folder back, and just reboot your computer...

jgcan
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2006, 11:09 PM

If you have accidentally changed the name of your Home folder and your desktop looks different or you cannot find your files, you need to change the name back to the original name.

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jan 1, 2007, 02:08 AM

I did that once, it's still there so don't panic. Just rename it back
iMac G4 / Macbook

Mongoos150  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2007, 05:35 AM

My original files are in a folder under what I renamed the folder... the original name is still used and everything is gone. When I try to rename the folder the new name I originally tried, the folder with all the data, I get a message saying "This name is taken." What do I do?!
24" iMac 2.16GHz C2D

JKT
Professional Poster
Jan 1, 2007, 07:58 AM

First of all - back up the data in your old renamed home folder (especially the Library folder as this is where all your preferences etc will be stored).
Second, move the newly created Home folder (the one with the house icon) to the Trash but don't delete it (you won't be able to at the moment anyway).
You will now be able to re-title your old home folder to its original name again.

Log out and back in. Hopefully the situation will have been recovered and you can now delete the Home folder in the trash.

Forum Links
Forum Rules