Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Canon Lide 80 + Leopard + GraphicConverter?

Canon Lide 80 + Leopard + GraphicConverter?
Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2008, 03:01 AM

Hey all;

So I have a Canon LideScan 80 that I haven't used for a while. I hooked it up to my MacBook, running 10.5.2, and tried running Photoshop Elements, which came with the scanner when I bought it a couple years ago. No go - the application went boom just about as soon as I opened it.

What I'd really like to do is use GraphicConverter to scan from this scanner. GC is cheap, and stable, and I'm used to it, and keeps updates coming.

So does anyone have any ideas on getting all this stuff to play nice with each other? Plugins I could use with GC? How would I install them? How would I use them?

Thanks everyone.

Railroader
Banned
May 13, 2008, 09:45 PM

My LiDe 80 scanner works well with Leopard. Go to Canon's site and redownload the drivers.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2008, 07:59 AM

^ What he said.

And Photoshop Elements 4 doesn't work on Leopard at all. The newest version, PE 6, works, but it's a horrifying Windows port - interface-wise, easily on a level with the legendary Microsoft Word 6.0.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 11:55 AM

Actually, I have no problems using PE4 on my macbook running Leopard. Works fine for me.
Mary

Nergol  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2008, 04:23 PM

So I went to Canon's website, downloaded the drivers, and... now what?

Photoshop Elements still crashes on startup, I dropped the Canon Plug In into GraphicConverter's Plug Ins folder, but it doesn't seem to know what to make of it, and I'm still kinda at square one.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 03:41 PM

Once you have installed Canon's drivers, you should be able to use Image Capture--or Canon's scanner utility [name?]--to scan. Not sure why you need PS or GC at all.

webraider
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2008, 11:32 PM

Presto PageManager from Newsoft. It's the one missing app with Canon, and Epson Printers (on the mac.. they include it on the PC). HP scanners include their own version. This program is to Scans what iPhoto is to photos. It lets you combine individual scans of documents and images to stacked documents which can be faxed, printed or saved as PDF. Nice for creating multi-page documents from single page scans. It also lets you adjust the tilt of scans, and cropping as well as other things. This is the one thing that's missing on Apple computers.. hopefully, they'll get these tools soon, but until then.. I like this program.

You can check it out from Welcome to NewSoft - Award-winning image, video, DVD and WLAN software!

Forum Links
Forum Rules