Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Internal Zip 250

Internal Zip 250
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2000, 02:46 AM

Can I take the internal Zip 100 drive out of my Yikes! G4 and replace it with a Zip 250 drive? Iomega's web site only mentions Windows PCs on its internal Zip page.

If it is possible, how would I go about doing this?

Blakhawkg3
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2000, 01:21 PM

I guess you could techinically install a Zip 250 in the 100's place, but it would take a lot of time, effort, and frustration. I would just buy a USB Zip 250 (external). If you take the internal Zip 100 out of your G4, you can't do anything with it.

Actually, CD-RW drives are becoming quite popular and are getting faster every day. You might want to look into an 8X model.
-Blakhawkg3

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2000, 04:17 PM

I put a ATAPI 250 in my Blue G3 - USB is so slow and tiny I can't see using them. Maybe someone will give you $40 for your 100.

One caveat is that 100MB Zips are painfully slower in the 250 units.

I use 2nd ATA drive for backups, along with internal SCSI drives.

USB maxes out at 0.9Mbit per sec. - pulling teeth.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2000, 12:06 AM

Just how much slower are Zip 100 disks in Zip 250 drives?

Keda
Senior User
Jan 31, 2000, 11:19 AM

Gregory- Didi you have any problems with the drive functioning. I am also going to do this, it SHOULD work, but Im anxious about spending the money for nothing.

Keda
Senior User
Jan 31, 2000, 05:54 PM

It seems as if Iomega is dragging their feet on sw development for the Mac. It appears that the 250zip will work. And on AppleInsider Boards, there is a post about a ZipCD in a Mac: http://forum.appleinsider.com/ubb/Fo...ML/001125.html .

Both of these hw items work fine in a Mac, yet are listed as PeeCee only. Iguess they just havent done the drivers yet. Im going to put a 250Zip in anyways.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2000, 01:04 AM

The post on AppleInsider's board mentions using Toast to recognize the ZipCD drive. Does the internal Zip 250 drive work with Iomegaware or Apple's disk drivers?

I am not willing to buy Hard Disk Toolkit (or competing software) just to get a Zip Drive to work.

Keda
Senior User
Feb 2, 2000, 11:47 AM

I posted your question. But I am assumong that he is using Apples stuff. He said he played an audio CD. Toast is for burning CDs.

Go back and see if he answers.

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2000, 05:15 PM

I use Apple's OS 9 v. 6.0.6 driver on the internal 250 Zip and it is fine. Thankfully. I downloaded 2.1.1 but don't use it.

I have had no problems, reformatting a couple pre-formatted PC Zips to Mac HFS+.

i used the instructions that came with my Blue G3 and bought from OWC ($169 w/ one 250 cartridge). OWC supplies the face plate needed. Would have liked to have a set of instructions or find same on Iomega. Their "PeeCee Only" and lack of a pdf for installing.

Transfers are good, but 1/5th speed when copying to a 100 is my best guess. REAL noticeable.

Gregory

Daniel DeLisse
Feb 6, 2000, 03:12 AM

I have the 250 atapi internal in a G-4/350. Used to have a 100Mb Zip. There is NOT that big of a difference in the speed of a 100Mb disk in the 250 drive. It fits in perfectly and is recognized and works as advertised. Go for it and enjoy it. (my experience is to use Fuji disks, not the Iomega disks).

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2000, 11:41 AM

I never used a zip 100. Too small to be of much use for me. I use 4 and 9 GB HDDs for backups. And compared to zip 250 the 100 is VERY slow. I have verify writes on for both.

Greg

Forum Links
Forum Rules