Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > DVD Playback "Stuttering"

DVD Playback "Stuttering"
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 01:13 PM

I watched my first DVD (Moulin Rouge) on my iBook the other day. Every five minutes or so the playback would "stutter;" I believe that is the techie term for it.

Anyway, the playback would pause for a second or two and it sounds like the harddrive is working, then playback resumes normally.

"Sad Macs..." states that Apple considers some stuttering normal and that it is due to the DVD player switching to another dye layer on the DVD. The book goes on to suggest several possible fixes for more persistent stuttering such as disabling virtual memory, turning-off background apps, etc.

At any rate, is this stuttering normal, and, if so, am I overlooking anything in my attempts to reduce it?

ibook_steve
Apr 3, 2002, 02:13 PM

OS 9 or OS X? What other programs were running at the time? I've never seen stuttering in OS X, especially not every 5 minutes. I could believe it in OS 9 if you have a Microsoft program running or if you have your mail program set to check email every 5 minutes.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 02:37 PM

Running OS 9.2, with no other programs running including e-mail.

I have only played the one DVD, so it's possible it might be dirty, etc.

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: Mojo ]

OreoCookie
Apr 4, 2002, 10:59 AM

How about the energy prefs?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

whodisbe
Apr 4, 2002, 04:48 PM

I've had the same problem, but on OSX. Ever since I upgraded to the newest DVD player for OSX, my DVD playback is horrible, and I have no sound, and that's with no programs running.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2002, 02:50 AM

My Energy Saver settings are Better Performance/Faster Processor Speed. Unfortunately, I may have altered them since I ran that DVD.

DOH!

I'm going to try another DVD and see what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules