Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Xbox: What do you think?

Xbox: What do you think?
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2000, 11:43 PM

The GAMECUBE topic has gotten some interesting responses. I'm wondering what people here think about the Xbox, Microsoft's upcoming game console.

Personally, I'm curious but probably won't buy one. The specs are impressive, but so are those for the PS2 and GAMECUBE. (Do you really think you'll be able to tell the difference between the PS2 and Xbox versions of Metal Gear Solid 2?) The number of developers is also impressive, but most of them are also committed to PS2 and/or computer games. (And how many of them will actually get around to releasing a game for Xbox?) Also, SquareSoft, makers of the Final Fantasy series and other incredible RPG's, is not (yet) listed as an Xbox developer.

For now, my plan is to get a PS2 when the price goes down to $200 or when Final Fantasy X is released (whichever comes first). At this very moment, Final Fantasy X is a PS2 exclusive, so I have to get a PS2.

So what do you think?

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2000, 12:47 AM

Xbox =

�Piece Of sh!t .
�Waste Of Time.
�Piece Of M$ Propaganda.
�Waste Of Money.
�Object With No Real Potential.
�Something No One Will Ever Buy Because Nobody Likes Microsoft.
�A Platform Microsoft Is Forcing Developers To Develop For By Swinging Large Wads Of Money In Their Faces And Buying Them Out.

I think all you people catch my drift.

------------------
Be Happy.

[This message has been edited by mac freak (edited 12-10-2000).]
Be happy.

rupee68
Banned
Dec 11, 2000, 12:51 AM

I catch your drift, but I think its unrealistic and highly biased. I'm looking forward to the Xbox. It should have more power than anything ever imagined. Get this, ok, you saw in MGS that the shadows were really cool right? Well, in the Xbox, characters do shadows on themselves. EX: Lets say Britney Spears raises her arm above the light source. Her arms shadow would be cast across her glorious round perky yet not too perky tan breasts.

Anyway, thats just one effect that I've never seen in a game, and considering how much $$$ microsoft has, it's going to be a surefire winner.

Ca$h

Ruddigger
Senior User
Dec 11, 2000, 01:04 AM

Halo's gonna be the only good game for the X-Box, unless they buy out some other companies too.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

Solishu
Dec 11, 2000, 01:13 AM

Microsoft came to my university and did a demo of the x-box technology, and it was frickin incredible. And any game being developed for windows will easily be able to be ported. This is going to seriously kick ass. All you Microsoft haters are gonna be singing a different tune with this bitch hits the market.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2000, 02:13 AM

Solishu, I don't think that easy porting of Windows games to Xbox is a big advantage over the other consoles. Console gamers and computer gamers are not the same. This is why most computer games never become console games and why most console games never become computer games. (And when this does happen, the results and/or sales figures are usually terrible.)

If Microsoft is betting on ports of Windows games to make the Xbox a success, it is in trouble. Fortunately, it looks like this is not the case. Microsoft has signed plenty of console developes to work on Xbox games. Unfortunately, SquareSoft is not one of them (yet).

Until Microsoft can get some major RPG developers (SquareSoft, Enix, Working Designs) to make games for the Xbox, I'm getting a PS2 and only a PS2.

rupee68
Banned
Dec 11, 2000, 03:16 AM

I think the only real difference between console gamers and PC gamers is the size of their wallets. Considering how much punch the Xbox packs, I'm pretty sure it will be a HUGE hit, as it will have PC power at console pricing and simplicity, which is all anyone wants in the first place.

Ca$h

Cipher13
Dec 11, 2000, 04:45 AM

XBox = PC with keyboard and mouse sold seperately.
Crappy one at that.

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 12-11-2000).]

Ruddigger
Senior User
Dec 11, 2000, 05:04 PM

Amen to that brother!

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?

Tristan
Dec 11, 2000, 05:42 PM

OK, I want that Britney Spears game *now.*

bluesea
Dec 12, 2000, 12:15 PM

It could be awesome. It could really take off if both computer and console games were developed for X-Box. It's specs and such were anounced so far in advance�they could easily change. I expect it to come out a bit faster in the processor and 3D acceleration.

How is the X-Box MS propaganda?

X-Box=PC? Yes and no. Intel, yes. Windows, no.

Jsnuff1
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 02:17 PM

i dont like this move with micro$oft into the hardware market, next thing youll know it will be selling comps

and xbox will never sell, now one will buy a gameing cousil developed by a software company over ps2 or game cube, which have been in the gaming busness for years.

[This message has been edited by Jsnuff1 (edited 12-12-2000).]

Ruddigger
Senior User
Dec 12, 2000, 05:43 PM

Psssst, hey Ca$h, you should edit your last post and change the word "combany" to "company" before you criticize other people's spelling.

Sorry, just had to do it.

------------------
-Ruddigger
------------------
Have you had your
gigaflop today?

[This message has been edited by Ruddigger (edited 12-12-2000).]

DaveSaint
Dec 12, 2000, 06:06 PM

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now THAT is funny.

Or, should I say phunnie?

Learn how to spell..........huh. <shaking my head>

Huked on foniks is the bestest!

And so is X-Box!

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2000, 07:12 PM

While we're all being objective and critical of hardware that's more than a year off, I'm going to say that the PowerPC G5 is going to suck big time. What's that you say? It can't? Why not? Because Apple's using it?

I rest my case.

bizzare
Dec 12, 2000, 08:16 PM

btw, Square is developing for Xbox.

------------------

DaveSaint
Dec 12, 2000, 09:28 PM

<looking this way, looking that way>

Hey.......what th--wher--where did Cash's post go?

Oh no..........don't tell me yet ANOTHER screen-name got the axe!

Dave

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2000, 01:40 AM

Bizzare, while there have been some rumors that SquareSoft is secretly developing Final Fantasy XI for Xbox, nothing is official (yet). These rumors may or may not be true.

The official list of Xbox developer is here. The list is a few months old. As far as I can tell, the only major developer that has signed up since then is Electronic Arts.

Cipher13
Dec 13, 2000, 03:20 AM

Originally posted by Jsnuff1:
i dont like this move with micro$oft into the hardware market, next thing youll know it will be selling comps

and xbox will never sell, now one will buy a gameing cousil developed by a software company over ps2 or game cube, which have been in the gaming busness for years.

[This message has been edited by Jsnuff1 (edited 12-12-2000).]
People bought PSX over Nintendo and Sega... and Sony hadn't been in the game at all.

Cipher13

mac freak
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2000, 11:49 PM

Ok, quick question, for everyone:

How many of your friends have any interest in buying an XBox?

For me? 1. And that's just because he buys every gaming console the second it's released (he has all those failed Sega CD systems, and weird other things too... and dammit, he has a PS2!)

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

quedrivessuck
Banned
Dec 14, 2000, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
People bought PSX over Nintendo and Sega... and Sony hadn't been in the game at all.

Cipher13
Thats exactly what i said already, but for some unknown reason, my post was deleted. What the hell Misha? I'm not breaking any rules by providing an opinion! .......

>getting pissed<

Ca$h

Archangel
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2000, 04:19 AM

Consoles blow. Nuff said.

Forum Links
Forum Rules