Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need ANOTHER App Switcher Menu Extra

Need ANOTHER App Switcher Menu Extra
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 04:57 AM

Process Manager was one of the few control strip modules I found useful. This module put the icons of every active application in the control strip and allowed you to switch to another program by single-clicking on its icon.

I want a menu extra that will do the same thing under Mac OS X. Does something like this exist? (ASM does not fit this purpose as it only shows the frontmost application unless you click on its menu.)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2001, 09:27 AM

Theoretically, someone could re-implement the old standaby, TaskMenuBar, as a menu extra.

That's likely to take quite a bit of hacking, because of all the dynamic sizing that would have to be done. But for something like what you describe, it seems to be the best way.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hes Nikke
Nov 13, 2001, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>Process Manager was one of the few control strip modules I found useful. This module put the icons of every active application in the control strip and allowed you to switch to another program by single-clicking on its icon.

I want a menu extra that will do the same thing under Mac OS X. Does something like this exist? (ASM does not fit this purpose as it only shows the frontmost application unless you click on its menu.)</STRONG>
just make your dock realy small, pin it and put it on the side you want it. joke

if you don't mind yet another thing floating around your screen, DragThing can do this as a window, not a menu extra.
iMac, uMac, we all Mac for eMac!

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2001, 10:14 AM

No, I don't want it in a window. I want to reduce clutter, not add to it. So such a utility does not exist? Has anyone attempted to create something like this?

So why does Apple refuse to release the API for menu extras? Don't they see the demand?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2001, 02:33 PM

So why does Apple refuse to release the API for menu extras? Don't they see the demand?
They probably don't consider the API for it to be stable yet. Developers tend to get mad if you yank their API's out from under then and they have to rewrite constantly. So rather than do that, they've decided not to release the API's just yet.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules