Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > wanna buy PeeCee's without windoze?

wanna buy PeeCee's without windoze?
FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 06:44 PM

here u go. Interesting approach to sell PC's
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2002, 06:58 PM

who would have figured wal mart would lead such a change in how peecees were sold?

fobside
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 07:17 PM

i dont think any fewer people will be running windows on those machines. i think fewer people will be paying for those versions of windows though. just because a computer doesnt come with windows installed doesnt make it more likely that the person purchasing the box will install linux, unix or something other alternative to windows.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 02:48 AM

I don't see much point. The average user needs Windows for exclusive apps and/or ease of use. Someone who prefers UNIX, Linux, BSD, BeOS, or another alternative operating system is likely to build his own computer or start up from another disk and get a refund for returning Windows.

Despite what a few geeks say, there is no viable alternative to Windows on Intel-compatible hardware.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 03:10 AM

Not so fast.

I priced the parts of those WalMart units and you cannot save any money building it yourself. You can return it for exchange/refund easily, as well.

Not that you would build one that way yourself - but $400 for a disposable PC is hard to beat.

Finding a copy of Windows is pretty much a no-brainer. Linux is free. I'd suspect most folks will not be buying an OS at all.

I'm curious to see if there's a market for a PC that boots to a "missing command interpretor error" - right outta the box.
*empty space*

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 03:47 AM

Whaaat? $500 for a non-XP Athlon 1.4 on a el-shite �grab-bag-brand� Mobo with ultra-crap integrated/shared video and sound... 5400RPM HD, only 2 available PCI slots� no CD-RW?

I price all the above as follows: CPU $95 Mobo: $45 CD-ROM: $17 Hard Drive: $62 Floppy drive: $7 RAM: $40 Case w Power: $40

Total: $306� leaving roughly $200 that one could use toward getting better components (like a real mobo and real vid/sound cards).

One would have to be drunk, high, and unconscious not to be able to build a better system than that for $500.

And who cares how bad a rip-off the rest of that Intel junk is anyway.

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 04:17 AM

I know the hardware is shit.

Yeah, if you want to scour Pricewatch for the lowest prices and you can manage to get most everything from one or two online retailers - and the order gets shipped correctly - and the $20 shipping on the case doesn't kill you - and everything arrives in a timely manner - and you get it all screwed together - you'll have a much better computer than the one that took you 6 minutes to purchase, fully assembled, from WalMart. With a one year warranty.

What about the folks who lack the skill or time to build their own PC? Wouldn't they be willing to spend $400 for $300 worth of hardware - fully assembled?

No doubt, if you want it done right you'll need to do it yourself.

[advertisement]If you do it yourself and you're looking for a unique case for your homebuilt puter - I'm selling bare cases (w/o PS) for $200.

Get a $399 WalMart special and a stick the guts in a $200 copper case...$600 suddenly seems to be a bargain.[/advertisement]

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3
*empty space*

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 26, 2002, 04:23 AM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>
[advertisement]If you do it yourself and you're looking for a unique case for your homebuilt puter - I'm selling bare cases (w/o PS) for $200.

Get a $399 WalMart special and a stick the guts in a $200 copper case...$600 suddenly seems to be a bargain.[/advertisement]

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3</STRONG>
Holy crap that's ugly

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 05:06 AM

[QB]I know the hardware is shit.

Yeah, if you want to scour Pricewatch for the lowest prices and you can manage to get most everything from one or two online retailers - and the order gets shipped correctly - and the $20 shipping on the case doesn't kill you - and everything arrives in a timely manner - and you get it all screwed together
None of this is unreasonable. Start with a decent barebones package from a choice of literally thousands of places if you don't want to piece everything together specifically. There's nothing at all new about barebones computers without an OS. Better still, anyone who lives in a major city where they have regular computer shows-- it’s the only way to buy hardware of any kind.

you'll have a much better computer than the one that took you 6 minutes to purchase, fully assembled, from WalMart. With a one year warranty.
Keywords; a much better system. The time 'saved' in the purchase will be squandered many times over in time spent wrestling with a half-assed system. Every part you buy from anyone in a build-your-own set up should have its own warranty. Thing is, with the crap parts a WalMart comp has (how ridiculous is the concept of a WalMart PC anyway?) one will probably be guaranteed to NEED their warranty; sooner, as well as later.

What about the folks who lack the skill or time to build their own PC? Wouldn't they be willing to spend $400 for $300 worth of hardware - fully assembled?
True. Actually people are willing to spend $800, $900, $1200-$2000 on up for $300-$500 worth of parts. If they weren't Crateitaway, Comcrap and others wouldn't have a business! And obviously, WalMart wouldn't be peddling these things!

No doubt, if you want it done right you'll need to do it yourself.
No doubt. That holds true for just about anything. You're right though, lots of people may think these things are some sort of a deal, but my point was more along the lines of what Adam said, that anyone who actually knows what they are doing (IE: which I would expect of most people who are running Linux or other non-Windows OSes) wouldn't go within ten miles of the stench from these so-called 'deals'.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 01:21 PM

ya but what sort of average hayseed wal mart patron is even going to know what linux is? or how to pirate a version of windows? or that they could possibly build a better box on their own by going to pricewatch? thats the most interesting part.

itomato
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 03:53 PM

The point is that A: Somebody is selling systems without Windows, and specifically mentioning the opportunity for alternate OS's. and B: That it's Wal-Mart.

Makes me wonder if M$ struck up a little deal with "America's Most Wholesome Mega-Retailer" to provide systems that satisfy the DOJ..

zdnet ran a little story on this, as does c|net.

What I want to know is, who is this Microtel, and why can't I find out anything about the company? Everything I've read leads me to believe that it's a division of Wal-Mart & Company..
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2002, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by I Have Questions:
<STRONG>

Holy crap that's ugly </STRONG>
I agree, why does every pc user think the lab of frankenstein is an attractive model to gun for?

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 26, 2002, 07:08 PM

Ugly is a charitable word for it
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2002, 07:20 PM

I hope he didn't pay the plumber to much for that case......

Those PCs suck balls, anyone that doesn't want Windows or even knows what an operating system is would opt for pre-installed OS machines or simpy build their own

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 12:28 AM

My case may be ugly - but it's never been called 'limpwristed' like the iMac.

Keep your molded plastic in those fruity colors...and keep making fun of beige colored plastic.

muahahaha

edited to add:

[ 02-26-2002: Message edited by: TNproud2b ]
*empty space*

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 01:04 AM

Your pile-O-pipe looks like it's limpwristed d
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 01:31 AM

At least I can drop my computer out the window and it will survive... a fall onto cement from 30ft.

Pentium 3 xeon? talk about crap.. even the cheapest coolermaster that's 20 years old looks better than that case.

I'd hate to see it next year.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
<STRONG>

I agree, why does every pc user think the lab of frankenstein is an attractive model to gun for?</STRONG>
Not every PC user. Sony computers are just as cool as Apple computers. I should know; I own a Power Mac G4 and a VAIO MX.

People who own Apple computers are cool. People who own Sony computers are cool. People who own Dell computers are boring. People who build their own computers are nerds. No one is cooler than people who own both Apple and Sony computers (i.e. me).

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>At least I can drop my computer out the window and it will survive... a fall onto cement from 30ft.

Pentium 3 xeon? talk about crap.. even the cheapest coolermaster that's 20 years old looks better than that case.

I'd hate to see it next year.</STRONG>

Yup, gotta luv that plastic.
*empty space*

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>At least I can drop my computer out the window and it will survive... a fall onto cement from 30ft.
</STRONG>
have you tested this? what sort of argument is this?

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
<STRONG>

have you tested this? what sort of argument is this?</STRONG>
Only one he had?

*shrugs*
*empty space*

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 09:11 PM

<STRONG>

Only one he had?

*shrugs*</STRONG>
i have no idea why i even bothered asking him.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 01:20 PM

It reminds me when Walmart was the ONLY retailer that would carry OS/2 software.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Forum Links
Forum Rules