Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What the hell?!? No more VHS releases???

What the hell?!? No more VHS releases???
MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 27, 2002, 10:00 PM

I have yet to purchase a DVD system for my TV. I have a small VHS collection of original flicks. A "must have" movie is coming out next tuesday (A.I. Artificial Intelligence) and I can't seem to find any info on whether it's coming for VHS. WTF?!?!? I know lots of people are making the move (if they haven't already) to DVD's but I also know many more who still use a VCR.

There's no way in hell I'm investing in a DVD player for one friggin movie. Do they just not "announce" that movies are also coming out in VHS format? Does the lack of info (from scouring the web) mean it really will be DVD only?

Man this sucks

Mike

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 27, 2002, 10:04 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:41 PM. )

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2002, 10:09 PM

Didn't you know?

The plan is to migrate people away from VHS to DVD, so that you can't copy easily, and can only playback where they want you to playback- enforcable by US law. (DMCA and SSSCA legislation)
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 10:19 PM

yes, they are still being released on VHS (why, i don't know...spend $150 or less (or more for that matter) and buy a damn dvd player )...anyway, back to your quesstion...

these days, dvds are being released first, then vhs versions (not always, but sometimes)...mostly though they are released day and date with vhs.

in this case, its not...dvd is coming out first. however, other 'big' movies that are coming day and date include harry potter and oz: the complete first season.

(a quick scan of dreamworks site says it is coming out day and date with the dvd...where were you looking at? local store?)

it depends a lot on the studio putting out too...warner bros has been big in putting hit movie dvd's first, then vhs. looks like, in this case, universal feels the dvd sales will bring more than vhs sales.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2002, 11:03 PM

I myself use my computer for DVD playing since it really is the ultimate DVD player, in a way

I have a 'high definition widescreen' monitor fully digital, with digital signal straight from DVD's if i want.

And I hope apple soon puts an 'Import' button on their DVD player program too
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2002, 11:08 PM

It's about time VHS died. It's a terrible format. Cheap, yes, but next to DVD it looks horrible.

But just when you thought VHS was heading out for good, JVC is planning on releasing a new format, "D-VHS", for recording high-definition broadcasts.

Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2002, 11:19 PM

I used to work at a movie store till about a month ago when we went of business

About 20 - 30 % of rentals were DVD, rest were VHS. Mind you that alot of the people who rent DVD's were guro's. So I estimate that maybe 17 - 20 % actually had DVD players that they used, there are those who have em but did not use them, cus they could not get their system setup, or it is too dificult, wtf? Morons.

VHS is gonna be around for a while longer, no worries. BTW we bought about 4 VHS copies for every DVD copy of a movie.

Thank God AI is coming out!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for that one for so long, You have no ideAAA!! I never saw it in the theatres, and I am huge on movies, and especially on AI (I mean real AI like genetic algorithm and stuff like that). Didn't Stanley Kubric do part of it, then he died, and Spielberg finished it? If that is the case, it is going to be amazing, maybe not LOTR amazing, but still!!!!

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Feb 27, 2002, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by residentEvil:
(a quick scan of dreamworks site says it is coming out day and date with the dvd...where were you looking at? local store?)
I did check the Dreamworks site, I must have missed anything about a VHS release. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'd have checked my local "ball" buster (Blockbuster) video next week to see if it was in either way since I pass there on my way home from work.

I do realize that a DVD player wouldn't be incredibly expensive, but I'm going to want at least 7-10 "must own" movies to get started with as-well. Adding that to the cost of the player and it's not something I can just do at the drop of a hat (not right now anyway).

I also think that eventually they'll release DVD-R players for TV useage. Once that comes out then there really would be no point in owning a VCR at all.

(Not that there won't just be something better to replace that eventually as-well)

Mike

[ 02-27-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2002, 11:22 PM

For those who wish a quick death to VHS, I remind you that VHS is the only way we're legally permitted to record shows and copy tapes or dvds.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2002, 11:34 PM

Oh let VHS go already.

Once we get recordable DVDs, that is.

I rarely record anything, but when I do, I'm glad I can do it cheaply, easily, and legally.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2002, 11:43 PM

Hell...I still have my Laserdisk player....

One thing that I am planning on when I get a dvd-burning Mac is to transfer the entire Japanese series "Kaiketsu Lion Maru" from L.D. to DVD, although without the high-end package, I know it can only record something like an hour per DVD. Nonetheless, I know my LD player will eventually die, and it will be harder and harder to find a good replacement. And so far, the idea of spending at least another $400 to replace the LionMaru set is too much for me. On the other hand, it's going to take a crapload of blank DVDs to copy the 54 25 minute episodes. Damn.

Looking forward to an affordable DVD recorder for the home.

In the meantime, I haven't used my VHS much since I got both a DVD player for movies I want to own and an Ultimate TV setup for the satelite to record shows. I never liked buying original movies on tape anyway....never looked good and wore out anyway: a big waste of money.

Footy
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 12:45 AM

Hmmm, is the reason the movie store you worked at that went out of bussiness related to the fact that they bought 1 DVD for every 4 VHS tapes? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know BlockBuster has been carring DVDs for a few years in limited numbers but they are big on DVD rentals more the ever now. Had my DVD player for couple years now and love it. Can't wait for a recordable one that's affordable.

lloyd

"used to work at a movie store till about a month ago when we went of business "

jcadam
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 01:23 AM

My first VCR wasn't VHS , it was Beta. I bought it because I simply wanted to go with the the technically superior product. Beta has better image quality, etc.

Man, that sucked. I watched as the VHS section of the Blockbuster slowly devoured the Beta section (they started off about equal). Finally, Blockbuster sold off all of it's remaining stock of Beta movies for $5 a pop (this was back in the day when movies cost about $50-$60) , I snapped me up a bunch.

I'm on DVDs now
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2002, 01:37 AM

Why the F--- does anyone stick with VHS? It's SO old and SO bad and SO prone to rot. Besides, with VHS you're missing anywhere from 20-50% of the film frame anyway depending on how the movie was filmed.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2002, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by 11011001:
Thank God AI is coming out!!!!!!!! I have been waiting for that one for so long, You have no ideAAA!! I never saw it in the theatres, and I am huge on movies, and especially on AI (I mean real AI like genetic algorithm and stuff like that). Didn't Stanley Kubric do part of it, then he died, and Spielberg finished it? If that is the case, it is going to be amazing, maybe not LOTR amazing, but still!!!!
This is what I thought too. I had been looking forward to this movie for years. This movie has to be the second biggest movie let down ever (after Episode I). What a stinker. Anyway, that's just my opinion, so go watch it and form your own.

Anyway, Mike... You are going to have to buy a DVD player eventually, you might as well buy it now. Think back 10 years, let's say your favorite band was releasing their new album on CD first and you only had a cassette deck. You would be annoyed, because you want it on cassette... But looking back, you know you would be better off just getting it on CD and getting a CD player.

In 5 years, you will be smacking yourself because you are going to be stuck with the crappy VHS version.

EDIT - It looks like the VHS A.I. is coming out with the DVD... BUT, it's priced for rental only... meaning it's like $125 bucks. It should drop in a couple of months though... or maybe not. I think you're better off biting the bullet and going DVD.

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: ort888 ]

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 28, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Footy:
<STRONG>Hmmm, is the reason the movie store you worked at that went out of bussiness related to the fact that they bought 1 DVD for every 4 VHS tapes? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know BlockBuster has been carring DVDs for a few years in limited numbers but they are big on DVD rentals more the ever now. Had my DVD player for couple years now and love it. Can't wait for a recordable one that's affordable.

</STRONG>
IIRC, I read an article that Blockbuster is going to start or is already phasing out its VHS stock in favor of DVD. For popular commercial movies and shows, VHS is simply not worth it in terms of quality, searchability, and convenience.

One area that I am a little worried about is the availability of lower-demand, specialty shows. I love many of those on History, A&E, TLC, etc., and currently none of the ones I like are offered on DVD, only VHS. I am hoping that they will be offered on DVD as I don't like VHS quality and longevity. Otherwise, I will have to buy the tapes and transfer them to VCD or DVD (lousy options)

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 12:45 PM

maybe u can buy one of these and convert all the dvd's that is out there into VHS tapes for ur collections?
http://www.techtronics.com/uk/shop/8...converter.html

[ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: FulcrumPilot ]
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>Didn't you know?

The plan is to migrate people away from VHS to DVD, so that you can't copy easily, and can only playback where they want you to playback- enforcable by US law. (DMCA and SSSCA legislation)</STRONG>
Strange I have no problem whatsoever copying dvds with reckless abandon to any writable media at all (usually goes to my computer). I do the same with LaserDiscs and VHS tapes. I suppose I'm probably in violation of the DMCA (not to mention other copywrite laws...), but damnit, it's just easier.

LtKernelPanic
Mar 1, 2002, 01:54 AM

Even though I just bought a brand new VCR I'll never buy a prerecorded VHS movie again. The only reason I bought it was so i could record stuff off my camcorder and TV. DVD is much better quality. I see prerecorded VHS movies going the way of casettes within the next 2 years.

onefinger68
Banned
Mar 1, 2002, 02:20 AM

Good. VHS sucks. I hate having to fast forward through 10 minutes of bullshit. Plus the picture and sound quality suck. Give in and go buy a PS2.

- Ca$h

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 03:55 AM

As for the original question, AI is, indeed available in VHS format

Unfortunately, it's $108 which means that you could buy a (albeit cheap and nasty) DVD PLAYER as well as the DVD version of this movie for the same price.

Seriously, though, DVDs have a lot of other advantages. In addition to the better picture quality, there's the random access nature of the disk (i.e. skip directly to any scene in the movie rather than waiting for the tape to (re)wind), widescreen formats, surround sound. multiple sound tracks, subtitles, behind the scenes articles, multiple camera angle options, and, not least, the ability to play directly on your your Mac.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 05:41 AM

Ahhh, so it's one of those "priced for rental" video tapes. Wait a few months and Best Buy (or wherever you buy your videos) will sell it for $20.

Unless a movie is a huge success, the initial video release is intended only for rental - hence the high price. A few months later, the price is lowered to a reasonable level and sold at mainstream stores.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG>

I also think that eventually they'll release DVD-R players for TV useage. Once that comes out then there really would be no point in owning a VCR at all.
</STRONG>

Panasonic has one of these out right now. At $999.00USD its hardly cheap, but the prices will come down Check it
out.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2002, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by Footy:
<STRONG>Hmmm, is the reason the movie store you worked at that went out of bussiness related to the fact that they bought 1 DVD for every 4 VHS tapes? Sorry, couldn't resist.

lloyd

"used to work at a movie store till about a month ago when we went of business "</STRONG>
Lol. We were not getting that many DVD rentals. We got 2 DVDs for the popular movies, but we never got that many customers in the end, cus we had been sorrounded by rogers and block busters in all 4 directions, all within about 10 km of the store. Before these places came around we were making a good profit.

BLOCKBUSTER KILLED US! I HATE BLOCK BUSTER!!

I went in there today, to rent a movie, and I could not get over how stupid the guys who work there are, and how they spread the new releases over 2 fricken walls! WTF how is one to find a good new movie to watch! All the good ones were hidden in some corner, or at the bottom, between like 20 copies of Captain Correlli's Mandoline, or Disney's Atlantis. Arg... what a crappy place. When I worked at my place, at least I knew what I was talking about, and could tell people if a movie was good or bad, all these morons know how to do is open and close the cash regester.

Arg!!! I hate Blockbuster and Rogers the way I hate Walmart, and Microsnoft. That is a real insult coming from me btw.

I am sure there are a few smart people at these movie stores, but the setup does not allow for them to interact with the customers very much

Well, done ranting, and feel a little better.

I heard AI was pretty good, not as good as people had hoped, but regardless I will see it. I love AI (real AI that is), it is what I do in my free time, that and make games, with great AI of course

MikeM32  (op)
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Mar 2, 2002, 07:12 PM

My town used to have tons of privetely owned "mom n' pop" type video stores until the huge chains moved in. We had Palmer video which turned into WestCoast video and later went belly-up, we also got Blockbuster, and those bigger stores just killed the smaller ones. There's a Hollywood video here too, but I've never signed-up for membership for rentals yet. Now there's only Hollywood Video and Blockbuster, they literally drove the smaller businesses out.

I only have a membership for Blockbuster now, and I'm not sure if it's even valid anymore, which leads into the following little tid-bit about "Ball"-buster video......

......I'd rented out the movie "Gladiator" when it was released to video like over a year or two ago (I forget now). I'd had a late fee because I kept it for like 3 days past the due date. I returned the movie using the drop off slot, and just figured the next time I go to rent a movie I'd "settle-up" the late charge. This is what I'd normally do anyway, and there was never ever a problem with that. The thing is I wasn't renting movies alot, maybe once a month or less.

It had been a while since that rental (probably a month or more). These bastards actually reported my late fee to a credit collections agency for a late charge of something like $10.00 !!!!!!! I received some lame ass notice in the mail about the whole thing, I couldn't believe it. I haven't settled the fee since then, because quite frankly they pissed me off by doing that. Of course I also haven't been back to "Ballbuster" to try to rent anything on my card in like over a year now, but I have purchased a few movies from there (since no membership is required for that).

I still can't believe the audacity of getting a collection agency over a $10.00 late charge Had I not received that lame notice in the mail I'd have simply settled my late fee the next time I rented from them. In fact, it's because of that notice that I stopped renting movies and never settled-up the late fee with them. I found that to be personally offensive regardless of whether they were within thier "legal rights" to report it.

I used to rent movies like crazy and sort of slowed-down on it. I mainly rented alot when I was married because the ex was a huge video fanatic. So after the divorce I didn't rent as much anymore since I'm pretty picky about what movies even look worth renting or even seeing in theaters for that matter. My own personal "conspiracy theory" about the whole thing is that Blockbuster keeps tabs on frequent renters and non-frequent ones and that because my frequency of video rentals had dropped off dramatically they singled me out for my $10.00 late charge. If I was an extremely frequent renter they'd probably have looked the other way on the whole thing since I'm spending alot more money there. If I could prove that's how they conduct business I could probably win some big bucks.

That's why I refer to them as "Ballbuster Video".

Anyway, since I'll be getting a DVD unit for the TV eventually what make/model would you people recommend?

Mike

[ 03-02-2002: Message edited by: MikeM32 ]

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2002, 07:34 PM

Blockbuster also refuses to carry DVDs without a full-frame "pan& scan version" on the disc. They don't care about original aspect ratios there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules