Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DSL modem question

DSL modem question
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 06:32 AM

Well, I signed up for ADSL in the UK and got a great deal, which involves a modem trade-in. But my new Fujitsu FDX310 USB modem doesn't support OS X and drivers are not expcted till July (being cynical, I'm assuming 'sometime this year').

How generic are ADSL drivers for the Alcatel or Webshuttle USB modems?
Has anyone tried using these drivers with another modem?

I used my Pace modem set as an Apple 56k for ages before realising. I'm debating whether to fill in a form on Hermstedt's website to get the software, as I don't actually own their product!

I expect my XP owning flat-mate finds this all rather strange, including my mistaken belief that it would 'just work'. But right now it's OS 9 full-time for me...

Chris

Cipher13
Jun 20, 2002, 06:54 AM

If spending a little more money isn't an issue... perhaps you could connect the aDSL modem to a router. That'd bypass the whole OSX compatibility issue.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2002, 09:04 AM

I don't think this is possible, I think that when you were selecting Apple 56k on your old modem these were just modem scripts to optimise it's performance. The USB ADSL modems need proper drivers 'I think!'. Can't be entirely sure.

Assuming it's a USB modem, I don't think you can connect it up to a router either, as far as I know they work on ethernet and I don't see how you'd connect a USB modem to one.

Are you sure that they'll bring out drivers when they say they will? I have an Alcatel ADSL modem and i've been waiting months for an update to the existing drivers (which don't work properly under X), they were scheduled for May, so in the end I decided to get a router modem and avoid all the hassle.

If there's a PC near your mac you could install the modem drivers on that and route the connection to your mac by turning on internet sharing, if not I'd try to sell it and get a new one, but don't buy the green Alcatel Slug.

<small>[ 06-20-2002, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: CarpetFluff ]</small>
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

Cipher13
Jun 20, 2002, 09:13 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CarpetFluff:
<strong>I don't think this is possible, I think that when you were selecting Apple 56k on your old modem these were just modem scripts to optimise it's performance. The USB ADSL modems need proper drivers 'I think!'. Can't be entirely sure.

Assuming it's a USB modem, I don't think you can connect it up to a router either, as far as I know they work on ethernet and I don't see how you'd connect a USB modem to one.

Are you sure that they'll bring out drivers when they say they will? I have an Alcatel ADSL modem and i've been waiting months for an update to the existing drivers (which don't work properly under X), they were scheduled for May, so in the end I decided to get a router modem and avoid all the hassle.

If there's a PC near your mac you could install the modem drivers on that and route the connection to your mac by turning on internet sharing, if not I'd try to sell it and get a new one, but don't buy the green Alcatel Slug.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Oh right... it's USB. Damn.

I can't stand USB modems... don't suppose you can tell them you need an ethernet one?

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 09:20 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by clebin:
<strong>Well, I signed up for ADSL in the UK and got a great deal, which involves a modem trade-in. But my new Fujitsu FDX310 USB modem doesn't support OS X and drivers are not expcted till July (being cynical, I'm assuming 'sometime this year').

How generic are ADSL drivers for the Alcatel or Webshuttle USB modems?
Has anyone tried using these drivers with another modem?

I used my Pace modem set as an Apple 56k for ages before realising. I'm debating whether to fill in a form on Hermstedt's website to get the software, as I don't actually own their product!

I expect my XP owning flat-mate finds this all rather strange, including my mistaken belief that it would 'just work'. But right now it's OS 9 full-time for me...

Chris</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">See if you can trade in your modem in for one with an ethernet port. If you can your compatibility issues should go away. Then all you have to do is to go into preferences and set it to show built in ethernet using DHCP.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 09:34 AM

If money was no object, I'd definitely get an ADSL modem/ethernet router. It's tempting as I could be on the net the same time as my flatmate.

Like I say I'm not really expecting those drivers to come out next month as scheduled, and the worst thing is I'm not going to be able to stop myself from checking the site every day to find out!

Atleast I'll be checking the site at 50-odd k/sec I suppose. And I'm definitely enjoying OS 9's turn of speed, too!

Chris

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2002, 09:34 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> See if you can trade in your modem in for one with an ethernet port. If you can your compatibility issues should go away. Then all you have to do is to go into preferences and set it to show built in ethernet using DHCP </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Indeed, which is what I ended up doing a much nicer solution and you can plug any number of machines into it through a hub, a USB modem also slows down the machine.

Highly recommended just a little more pricey!
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 10:50 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CarpetFluff:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> See if you can trade in your modem in for one with an ethernet port. If you can your compatibility issues should go away. Then all you have to do is to go into preferences and set it to show built in ethernet using DHCP </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Indeed, which is what I ended up doing a much nicer solution and you can plug any number of machines into it through a hub, a USB modem also slows down the machine.

Highly recommended just a little more pricey!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Any recommendations for a good one? I've seen them for about �250-300, but I've heard they can be as cheap as �150.

Chris

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 01:02 PM

Highly recommended just a little more pricey![/qb][/QUOTE]Any recommendations for a good one? I've seen them for about �250-300, but I've heard they can be as cheap as �150.

Chris[/QB][/QUOTE]

You have any number of choices. US Robotics makes one you probably could pick up for about $138.00. There are also others (Best, ADC, Zyxel and 3Com). However, I would make contact with the carrier and see if they would make a recommendation. I personally use a cable modem and I have many choices that can range from about $50.00 to $150.00.

rohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2002, 02:10 PM

I don't know whether I wrote on another of your threads??? Anyway, if you go to <a href="http://www.seg.co.uk" target="_blank">www.seg.co.uk</a> you will find the AR601 which is the cheapest ethernet modem/router (whatever) one I could find. They say they aren't in stock at the moment but you can try them by email....

They are �129 and you can set them up via telnet. Judging by the trade in comment, you are probably with Pipex? Should you decide to get one, drop me a line at [email protected] and I can tell you how to set it up. I could only find an OS9 telnet program but after setting up the router I just restarted in X and it has worked fine ever since. The device also has NAT which is a must for multiple computers with PIPEX.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Rohan

rohan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2002, 02:12 PM

OK, second message.... For �159 at <a href="http://www.seg.co.uk," target="_blank">www.seg.co.uk,</a> you can get the Vigor2200USB router which allows you to plug a USB modem into it, and from there to your mac. It is compatible with the Fujitsu which is mentioned in the product description.

kangolo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2002, 02:20 PM

If they claim to support Win95 tell them that is what you had, with the exception of the last OEM release 95 did not support USB, so they'd have to give you an ethernet modem.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2002, 07:45 PM

<a href="http://www.dslsource.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.dslsource.co.uk/</a>
<a href="http://www.solwise.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://www.solwise.co.uk/</a>
<a href="http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=376" target="_blank">http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=376</a>

All the above dealers/websites are good places to get an Ethernet adsl modem from in the UK. Dabs have the cheapest, starting at a mere �71 inc vat! or �82 for a 4 port model. USB adsl modems are virtually useless.. And I would avoid them like the plague. Plus they are no good if you ever intend to run Apples Airport system. The Alcatel USB modem was always losing it's connection for me, and crashed my Mac regularly. It even locked up OS X at least twice (The only time X has crashed for me). Ethernet modems are a world apart! way better, and worth the minimal cost.
I'm not sure what the dabs ones are like to set up on a Mac tho. But the ones from solwise are still very cheap, and are apparantly easy enough to set up on a Mac. I got an Alcatel 510 4 port from dslsource, wasnt cheap at �230, but it works extremely well. I run 3 Macs from it, including an iBook via Airport.
Another good resourse for UK adsl users is here.. <a href="http://www.adslguide.org/" target="_blank">http://www.adslguide.org/</a>

PS, I dont know why some people call adsl modems "Routers". Cos it's wrong! If you were to order a router, thats exactly what you will get. And you would still need to add an adsl modem to it, to get online. However, many adsl modems do have routers built in.

PS II, I am also on Pipex. And if you complain at them enough (I had to do it by fax 4 times before I got a reply!) They will agree to refund you the money you paid for the USB frog modem.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2002, 06:16 AM

Thanks all for your advice.

Grr - I'm also with Pipex, but as far as getting money back on the modem is concerned, I took advantage of an offer where you trade in an old dial-up modem and get the Fujitsu FDX310 for free. It's a superb deal, particularly as you can pick up a dial-up modem for about �12.

So, I'll probably sell the Fujitsu if I can and aim to get more than �12 for it! I'd rather do this and get a modem/router than plug the Fujitsu into a router..

What I really need is one that I can configure totally from OS X...

Chris

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2002, 06:52 AM

I don't think there's a router that simply plugs into your phone line and has a dsl modem built in.

Most are made so that you plug the modem into the router's wan port, then run a program from there to configure it :-\

When I had AOL PLUS and was stuck with a usb modem, i used vpc to connect and got half decent rates (60k/sec download) with it, though that's about 1/3 of what I get straight on with my trusty ethernet modem :-D
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2002, 08:11 AM

Mac Zealot, yes there are.. And quite a few too. I am using an Alcatel 510 right now. Which is an ethernt adsl modem with a built in 4 port router. <a href="http://www.dslsource.co.uk/home_sharing.asp" target="_blank">http://www.dslsource.co.uk/home_sharing.asp</a>

clebin, most adsl modems are configurable via a web browser. Which is by far the easiest way to set them up. And of course it means they can be set up on any type of computer with any OS. Just so long as it has a browser. All you do is point the browser in the direction of the modem/routers address. You can certainly do this on the Alcatel ones. And the single port versions start at about �100.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2002, 08:36 AM

I was hoping you'd say something like that.. A modem with built-in web-server. That's cool stuff.

The Alcatel looks very good - I won't hold their USB drivers against them. I'm looking forward to a little bit of bartering in Tottenham Court Road on the weekend...!

Cheers,
Chris

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2002, 09:41 AM

As far as I am aware, All the Alcatel modems are great. Apart from the USB ones of course. Any of the Alcatel adsl modems with Ethernet should suit your needs. I think DSL source has some "Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro's" in stock for �99 plus vat. Plus the cost of microfilters. But you might have those already?
All the best!

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2002, 10:39 AM

We have an Alcatel Speed Touch Home, an ethernet ADSL modem, and it works perfectly and is completely compatible with OS X - a good solution they are.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2002, 10:54 PM

I already sent my first DSL "modem" (an Alcatel Speedtouch Home) to a friend in the UK suffering from the UK's USB only policy! It was the only one I had to pay for (early PacBell DSL adopter), and when I switched to Earthlink they sent me one free. In fact they sent me 2 by mistake. Now I have swithched to Speakeasy so I got another free DSL box! The Earthlink ones are ENI Speedstream 5667 or something dual USB/Ethernet, the Speakeasy one is an Ethernet only Xyzel. The Xyzel took a while to arrive (UPS!) so I got impatient and plugged in my old Earthlink Speedstream and it worked fine.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I'll sell you a Speedstream for $50 plus shipping! It's this one... <a href="http://www.efficient.com/products/dual.html" target="_blank">http://www.efficient.com/products/dual.html</a> . Or you could look on Ebay, they give the darn things away with packets of cornflakes over here so ther's always loads on Ebay.

You would need to get a UK AC/DC power brick, but that should only cost a tenner or less.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2002, 02:15 PM

Well, I went out and got myself a Router/ADSL modem... I paid more than �100 - �150, infact, but it's a great piece of kit, and I like the process of going shopping more than getting a box in the post

It's a NetGear DG814. It's got 4 10/100 ports, firewall/VPN/DMZ stuff, and it comes with a microfilter and ethernet cable which is nice if not essential. Web-based configuration too.

So I'm back in OS X, my flat-mates on the net as I write this, and I'm happy!

Chris

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2002, 07:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by clebin:
<strong>Well, I went out and got myself a Router/ADSL modem... I paid more than �100 - �150, infact, but it's a great piece of kit, and I like the process of going shopping more than getting a box in the post

It's a NetGear DG814. It's got 4 10/100 ports, firewall/VPN/DMZ stuff, and it comes with a microfilter and ethernet cable which is nice if not essential. Web-based configuration too.

So I'm back in OS X, my flat-mates on the net as I write this, and I'm happy!

Chris</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Your welcome.

Forum Links
Forum Rules