Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Has Apple actually referred to it as 10.2?

Has Apple actually referred to it as 10.2?
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 06:35 AM

I know this is a boring/old topic, but in the post-WWDC afterglow, I just wanted to know if version numbers have been specifically mentioned.

It's "Jaguar" or the "next major release" on the Apple site, and the same on all the news stories I've read. It's almost like they haven't decided themselves.

I'd pay �100 for it, anyway, but I'm sure there's enough OS X doubters to hold off charging a second time.

Chris

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 08:39 AM

I noticed that too

kennethmac2000
Senior User
May 7, 2002, 09:11 AM

I would guess marketing want it to be called 10.5, but Steve hasn't given final approval for that yet.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by clebin:
<STRONG>I'd pay �100 for it, anyway, but I'm sure there's enough OS X doubters to hold off charging a second time.

Chris</STRONG>
So what u'd not pay if it was entitled 10.2? Really, don't you having anything more important in your life other than moistening your panties over a computer systems version name?

Targon

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 11:53 AM

By the way, the updated Mach-O Runtime document from Apple Developer Connect mentions 10.2.

page 22:
* Weak binding, first introduced in mac OS X 10.2, is useful for selectively implementing features that may be available on some systems, but on others...
page 70:
Note: Dynamic code generation with PIC is new for GCC 3, the compiler shipped with Mac OS X 10.2. However, such executables will run on older versions of Mac OS X.
This does not rule out their changing it to 10.5 anytime they want, of course. I remember the betas of "Sonata", Mac OS 9.0, were labeled Mac OS 8.7 on the startup screen, until the last moment...

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
<STRONG>

So what u'd not pay if it was entitled 10.2? Really, don't you having anything more important in your life other than moistening your panties over a computer systems version name?

Targon </STRONG>
Don't roll your eyes at me, wanker! I just knew somebody would say it...because somebody ALWAYS says it.

How many releases does it take for a ****ing idiot like you to realise that you only pay for .0 and .5 releases?

8.0 - pay
8.1 - free
8.5 - pay
8.6 - free
9.0 - pay
9.1 - free
9.2 - free
10.0 - pay
10.1 - free

Just interested that's all. And while you're still posting childish crap to Macintosh forums I'll assume you have nothing better to do either.

Chris

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
<STRONG>This does not rule out their changing it to 10.5 anytime they want, of course. I remember the betas of "Sonata", Mac OS 9.0, were labeled Mac OS 8.7 on the startup screen, until the last moment...

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]</STRONG>
I remember that - this is a huge release compared with 8.6 -&gt; 9.0 for sure. Even I didn't buy OS 9 when it came out, and I'll buy anything!

Thanks for the link!

Chris

Rampico
May 7, 2002, 05:17 PM

Since we've been going with 10.x.x, my money is on 10.2, just so Apple has more time to figure out what naming convention to use next. Mac OS XI? Mac OS X 11.0?

It's all about marketing. . .
My first computer: Apple ][e, 128k, dual floppies, 80 column text, and a mouse!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by clebin:
<STRONG>

Don't roll your eyes at me, wanker! I just knew somebody would say it...because somebody ALWAYS says it.</STRONG>
Proves your just a troll eh

How many releases does it take for a ****ing idiot like you to realise that you only pay for .0 and .5 releases?

8.0 - pay
8.1 - free
8.5 - pay
8.6 - free
9.0 - pay
9.1 - free
9.2 - free
10.0 - pay
10.1 - free

Just interested that's all. And while you're still posting childish crap to Macintosh forums I'll assume you have nothing better to do either.

Even I didn't buy OS 9 when it came out, and I'll buy anything!

Chris[/qb]
Yeah well i didn't realize your too fuxin stupid to work out it will be a payable upgrade. WTF do you care anyways after this statement :

"Even I didn't buy OS 9 when it came out, and I'll buy anything!"

Do you need time to save up yer pocket money or somthing?

You take it up the ass bender boyee

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: Targon ]

mrtew
Professional Poster
May 7, 2002, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Targon:
<STRONG>

So what u'd not pay if it was entitled 10.2? Really, don't you having anything more important in your life other than moistening your panties over a computer systems version name? </STRONG>

You're one to talk!!! You don't have anything to do in your life but go around posting 'who cares about what you care about' after other people's postings and then a bunch of when someone calls you on it!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 04:28 PM

It's 10.2.

I'm going to be posting screen shots later tonight, Stay iTuned - er, Stay Tuned.

enjoy!
-GregM.

Northform
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 04:33 PM

Maybe they're going to try an entirely new versioning structure (like R1, R2). Sure if it were 10.2 and a pay upgrade we would all buy it, but many wouldn't unless it was at least a .5. Not all mac users are the elites of the compting world (remember Apple choosing OS 9 over 8.7).

JLL
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by 3dAnimation:
<STRONG>It's 10.2.

I'm going to be posting screen shots later tonight, Stay iTuned - er, Stay Tuned.

enjoy!
-GregM.</STRONG>
Remember that Mac OS 9 was still called Mac OS 8.7 in the late betas.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2002, 04:41 PM

Valid point, JLL. I don't know how I forgot about that.

Personally, I feel they will keep it as "10.2" As far as I can recall, not until RECENT years has Apple started a ".2" ie, 9.2. I think that will be their "new" strategy.

Hey, aren't there any NeXT wizzards around? What was the versioning structure of *that* OS?

enjoy!
GregM.

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2002, 04:45 PM

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2002, 07:27 PM

I hope that it's .2 although some how I'm not sure.
The idea of sticking all these new programs like Ink, and the rest of them into a . whatever release, I dono if they'll go for that, not to mention the fact that.

iMovie and iTunes OS 9
iPhoto and iDVD OS X

I'm thinking you'll have to pay before you're able to use iChat and the next iApp.
So... hmm with the speed impovements I'll find a way to get the cash... a few months after it's release.

But the thing is they're calling this a MAJOR release.
Did they call .1 a major release?
Not to mention... I could swear I read something about them having a minor upgrade before Jaguar.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 8, 2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
<STRONG> </STRONG>
That doesn't mean anything... 9.0 was called 8.7 in several pre-release versions.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2002, 11:41 PM

Can we just agree that for the moment it's 10.2 but marketing could still pull some **** a few days before the CD's goto press and make it "10.5", "11", "New Super Duper Bestest Mac OS EVER".
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 9, 2002, 08:09 AM

Incidentally, the system-wide Quartz antialiasing looks very nice. (comparing my jaggy System Profiler with sadness)

Oh, and zazou? You might not want your serial number and Apple Sales Number in that screenshot of either (1) your NDA-sealed copy, or (2) your illegally obtained copy.

[EDIT]: Oh, I see it's from that "mrbiggy" guy. Well, I guess he might not want it, but nothing for you or I to do about it...

[ 05-09-2002: Message edited by: Mithras ]

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2002, 08:17 AM

now listen very carefully and never forget this:

history has already been written.

http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

Forum Links