Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PPP Dials Randomly

PPP Dials Randomly
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2002, 06:57 AM

This has been driving me crazy. From time to time, my computer will attempt to connect to the Internet for no apparent reason. This is annoying and a waste of money.

Other than disabling autodialing (which is only supposed to happen when I'm using an Internet app) or PPP altogether, how do I prevent this from happening?

Quadroclops
Feb 28, 2002, 07:37 AM

This may seem obvious, but if you leave mail on, & in the mail preferences you've got it set to automatically check for mail every so often, & to connect automatically when using tcp/ip applications (system preferences; network;ppp applications) it'll do this...
"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way " -Juan Ramon Jiminez

Boondoggle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2002, 07:04 PM

This has nothing to do with Mail. This is one of the many totally irritating PPP bugs in OSX.

I think that the Finder decides at some point that it needs a TCP/IP fix and just starts dialing.

Totally blows, I had to turn auto connect off.

bd
1.25GHz PowerBook

i vostri seni sono spettacolari

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2002, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Quadroclops:
<STRONG>This may seem obvious, but if you leave mail on, & in the mail preferences you've got it set to automatically check for mail every so often, & to connect automatically when using tcp/ip applications (system preferences; network;ppp applications) it'll do this...</STRONG>
No, it isn't Mail, at least not in my case. I went from using Outlook Express for Classic to Entourage X; I haven't touched Mail in months.

So why is Apple continually adding features to Mac OS X and ignoring major bugs, hardware support, and performance issues? Apple's priorities need to change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules