Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > webSavant - Any Good?

webSavant - Any Good?
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 05:46 PM

I took two Web Design courses during my last semester of college. I enjoyed making Web Sites more than my major and have decided to get a career in this field.

Before I do this, I'd like to learn more. I am experienced in Dreamweaver and GoLive and have some knowledge of HTML and Flash. Not enough. I want a more impressive r�sum�.

webSavant looks like something that might be helpful. I say might because it seems like this guide looks somewhat dated. Specifically, the Web Site makes no mention of relatively recent additions to the Web such as layers, CSS, and XML.

So I ask you, experienced Web Designers, is webSavant worth the money or is too dated to be useful? If it is dated, what alternatives are available and which one do you reccomend?

Raman
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2002, 07:34 PM

1. Go to Barnes and Noble
2. Get a large cup of tea
3. Read
4. Take some notes

It's free.

Lastly, there's enough documentation on the internet that everything any company says will be redundant.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2002, 05:09 AM

I don't care about the money. webSavant's price seems fair. What I want to know is if it is any good or if it is too dated to be useful.

I was planning on reading books - and paying for them too. They're good for reference. However, a set of four CD-ROMs with eleven hours of QuickTime movies is better for teaching.

So I ask you once again, is webSavant worth my time or is it too dated to be useful? If it's too dated, what's a good alternative (besides taking notes at the book store and looking at guides on the Web)?

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2002, 03:59 PM

I recommend webSavant to everyone looking to get into HTML development. It's an excellent teaching and reference tool and well worth the cost. It is getting a little long in the tooth, but I think there's still a lot of pertinent info in there.

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 06:19 AM

Thanks. It's nice to know that someone understands that money isn't always the most important thing.

Anyway, I ordered a webSavant/BBEdit bundle and five of those handy Visual QuickStart Guide books (HTML 4, XML, DHTML and CSS, Javascript, and Perl and CGI). In a few weeks, my Web design skills will be just as strong my page design skills - at least on paper.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Adam Silver ]

bipto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2002, 03:09 PM

You're following the same path I did. Good luck![/LIST]

Forum Links
Forum Rules