Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > A very odd problem with my Powerbook display

A very odd problem with my Powerbook display
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2003, 06:23 PM

This is very distressing. I hope someone here can help me out with this problem.

My PBG4-400 completely hangs (no black screen of death or anything at all) when I open my display to approximately 100 degrees away from the horizontal. Also, if I reboot the system with my monitor in a certain orientation the display just won't work. Obviously there's something wrong with the monitor connections in the hinges, but has anyone else come across this before??

This is happening to me at a bad time also, the computer is up for sale to support my purchase of a 12" AluBook...help!!

Thanks in advance for anyone's insights.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2003, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
This is happening to me at a bad time also, the computer is up for sale to support my purchase of a 12" AluBook...help!!
Ouch! Talk about bad timing! It does sound like a connection is being shorted or something when you open the screen in that manner.

I assume you don't have warranty/Applecare left. You might want to just tell the prospective buyers what the problem is and take the hit in the price you are likely to get. It would likely be cheaper than trying to get it repaired.

I am just praying that my Pismo doesn't crap out now...

photoeditor
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 07:12 PM

Then again, if you're out of warranty, maybe a call to Apple would be in order. I'm pretty sure that where mechanical failure is involved rather than physical damage, Apple uses a flat fee for out of warranty repairs. For an LCD/logic board issue, this would be a good thing.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 17, 2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by photoeditor:
Then again, if you're out of warranty, maybe a call to Apple would be in order. I'm pretty sure that where mechanical failure is involved rather than physical damage, Apple uses a flat fee for out of warranty repairs. For an LCD/logic board issue, this would be a good thing.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to ask, to find out what his options are, but I'm guessing it would cost at least a few hundred to fix, which on a 400mhz Tibook is a huge chunk of its resale value.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2003, 08:25 PM

It sounds like you have the same problem as me maybe. Could be. Have you ever seen hairy lines all over the screen? Here's my thread...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=140130

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2003, 11:16 AM

No mrtew, I don't see any hairy lines..

Today the problem seems better. I've moved it quite a few times today and so far no stalls...I'm beginning to suspect there is another issue with the computer besides the monitor connections--it could be a complete fluke that the computer stalled exactly when I was moving the monitor. I'm going to run a disk utility software (Drive 10 is all I have that I trust), maybe this will fix the crashing thing..

Thanks for the input guys, but I don't want to spend hundreds of $$$ for Apple to fix it. Hopefully this is just a software thing and I can fix it myself. That would be a relief!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules