Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is the Applemenu tied to the current app?

Why is the Applemenu tied to the current app?
clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 03:53 PM

I don't know whether this is worth a thread - we'll see. I always knew that the Applemenu is dependent on the current application in some way... If an application hangs, the Applemenu dies with it.

Today I noticed a related bug that anyone who doesn't use English must encounter all the time. If I were to select French as my language of choice and then use Safari (which doesn't support French yet) the Applemenu will be French in the Finder and English in Safari.

This seems like a stupid design/coding mistake to me. The Applemenu contains no application-specific items and is supposed to be system-wide - so why is it not independent? It's the one UI element you want running if your apps hang.

Unrelated, I also noticed a Finder bug that if I activate Welsh/Cymraeg in OS X, the Finder tries to use a localisation that doesn't exist and so has blank text everywhere... Hopefully fixed soon as it prevents me making custom localisations for other apps without replacing the English. Both fixed in 10.3 I hope.

Chris

pat++
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 04:25 PM

This is a known issue with the Apple menu. I think it has been implemented as a quick hack in 10.1 and they didn't take time to implement it properly. Hopefully they will take time to solve these problems for 10.3.

ntsc
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 12:37 PM

It should be implamented in the Menu Items API, though keep its current location in the Menu bar, especially since the Force Quit option is in this menu.

I think your right pat, the Applemenu was a quick hack for 10.1 but i heard that they changed a lot of how the implamented it in 10.2, i wonder why they didn't fix this then.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2003, 12:44 PM

Would FruitMenu 3.0 solve any of these issues?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Would FruitMenu 3.0 solve any of these issues?
A third-party hack is not solving OS issues I think.

-

lookmark
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 04:28 PM

That's a great question.

It would be so much easier (and cooler) to teach users to use 'Force Quit..." if they didn't have to switch out of a hung app first.

As it is, I've just become accustomed to use the Dock to force-quit apps.

clebin  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by ntsc:
I think your right pat, the Applemenu was a quick hack for 10.1 but i heard that they changed a lot of how the implamented it in 10.2, i wonder why they didn't fix this then.
Do you mean 10.0? I didn't notice any changes in the Applemenu in 10.0, 10.1 or 10.2 to be honest. What did they change?

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules