Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any chance I can get Applecare to repair this..

Any chance I can get Applecare to repair this..
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2004, 10:44 PM

...when I have my Powerbook's display down and the latch is closed, the display isn't completely flush with the keyboard. Another way to put it is those little pads at the top of the display, which are supposed to cushion the display from the keyboard base when the display is closed, well, those pads aren't even flush with the keyboard. There is a noticeable bend to the display too.

Take a look at these pics. You can clearly see the warp and how far away the pads are from the keyboard base.

I don't care that much about the warp, but sometimes when I pick up the Powerbook when the display is closed, the pressure from my hands on the latch causes the computer to wake from sleep, with the display still closed. The latch is getting fooled into thinking the display has opened and wakes up the machine. And the latch rattles when the laptop is being moved--since the pads are so far away from the keyboard base they aren't absorbing the impact and I hear the latch rattling.

I believe this was caused by an accidental impact when the Powerbook was in its padded sleeve and in my shoulder bag. The bag slipped off a chair and landed on the floor. Certainly when I first got the Powerbook it didn't look like this.

ANYWAY, I was wondering what you guys think are my chances of getting this repaired by Applecare. I could claim the Powerbook developed this sleep problem and display warp over time? Or should I come up with a better reason that will fool them into replacing the display?
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Mar 7, 2004, 11:02 PM

Mine was like that out of the box but only on the right side. The left side is flush when closed. I've not checked into getting it repaired since everything else is fine.

nate_02
Senior User
Mar 8, 2004, 12:46 AM

I had the exact same problem with mine. Mine came out of the box like that. They did replace it under AppleCare BUT...

My screen had illumination problems and my latch didn't always work properly, so they kinda put in the warped screen along with the other repairs. Since you have latch problems, they might replace it, but make sure you point out to them how warped it is.

I wouldn't even tell them about your case. I would just tell them the problems you are having and they should fix it. My guess is your PB came with the warped screen like mine did.
-nate

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 01:00 AM

Phat, if you have the Applecare Protection Plan or if you are still under warranty then I would definitely send it in to Apple. Just tell them what is wrong with it. There's no reason for admission of any mistreatment on your part such as damage caused by it falling to the floor. Let Apple determine what's wrong with it. In most cases they will fix or replace it especially if you purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan.
The Apple Care Protection Plan is like your Trump Card. Apple will bend over backwards if you already have it when you send in your product for repair. Even if your Mac is still under the manufacturer's warranty Apple will go the extra mile when they see you have the Apple Care 3 year warranty.
Take care.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 01:16 AM

I'd try either way, sometimes if you're insistent enough, they'll replace just about anything.
Heck, if the first guy you talk too won't get it fixed, call again later

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2004, 08:42 AM

They won't fix it if you don't try.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 08:51 AM

I thought it was that way be design... To keep the display off of the keyboard so that you don't get those nasty marks all over your display.
jesse ;-)

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2004, 09:35 AM

Agree! Say it is a manifacture fault! You WANT it fixed!

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
...when I have my Powerbook's display down and the latch is closed, the display isn't completely flush with the keyboard. Another way to put it is those little pads at the top of the display, which are supposed to cushion the display from the keyboard base when the display is closed, well, those pads aren't even flush with the keyboard. There is a noticeable bend to the display too.

Take a look at these pics. You can clearly see the warp and how far away the pads are from the keyboard base.

I don't care that much about the warp, but sometimes when I pick up the Powerbook when the display is closed, the pressure from my hands on the latch causes the computer to wake from sleep, with the display still closed. The latch is getting fooled into thinking the display has opened and wakes up the machine. And the latch rattles when the laptop is being moved--since the pads are so far away from the keyboard base they aren't absorbing the impact and I hear the latch rattling.

I believe this was caused by an accidental impact when the Powerbook was in its padded sleeve and in my shoulder bag. The bag slipped off a chair and landed on the floor. Certainly when I first got the Powerbook it didn't look like this.

ANYWAY, I was wondering what you guys think are my chances of getting this repaired by Applecare. I could claim the Powerbook developed this sleep problem and display warp over time? Or should I come up with a better reason that will fool them into replacing the display?
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2004, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys, looks like everyone is pretty much unanimous in thinking Apple will repair it as long as I don't say I caused the warp. I'll give it a shot and I'll let you all know how it goes!
Black iPod nano 4GB

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2004, 12:43 PM

Just wanted to update everyone who helped and those who have the same "warping" issue as I did. Applecare fixed it, no questions asked. They replaced the LCD and display. My PB is perfect now, as good as new! All I had to say to the service depot was a description of the problem, and they didn't ask how it happened. They just fixed it once Apple said ok.

SWEET!

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Thanks for the opinions guys, looks like everyone is pretty much unanimous in thinking Apple will repair it as long as I don't say I caused the warp. I'll give it a shot and I'll let you all know how it goes!
Black iPod nano 4GB

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2004, 01:12 PM

hmmm. my 15 incher is the same way. it started out fairly flush, but the warp has gotten pretty bad. i also have some illumination and white spot issues, so i will probably get it replaced regardless.
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 06:03 PM

That certainly sounds like a good idea...they should repair it no questions asked.

Originally posted by EdipisReks:
hmmm. my 15 incher is the same way. it started out fairly flush, but the warp has gotten pretty bad. i also have some illumination and white spot issues, so i will probably get it replaced regardless.
Black iPod nano 4GB

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2004, 11:59 PM

Yeah my 12" has started to have the same problem - near perfect when I got it, but I bring it back and forth to work everyday in a sleeve bag, and now the lid doesn't quite close perfectly...hmm I really need to get applecare before the year is up...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules