Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Interesting loss of system preferences?

Interesting loss of system preferences?
danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 06:42 PM

I've got a DP G4 machine that has had 10.1 all the way up through 10.3 on the box. I recently discovered that one of my devices would not work with 10.3 and there was no option but to go back to 10.2. Of course I had not done an archival install...!

The 10.x version of the OS that shipped with the DP G4 did not offer the ability to do an archival install (it was missing the "option" button where you select the destination drive), so I used the OS that shipped with my 17 PB. It appears to have worked fine - relatively speaking. The OS went through its install routine and placed the 10.3 install user prefs in a "Previous System" folder - which is good because I had a ton of stuff on the desktop.

As far as I can tell the install seems to be working - the key applications that I use work well and I didn't have to reinstall any of them. The device (a Fuji Pictrography) that stopped working with 10.3 started working again things seems to be going well. I have done the various system and security updates and all that from the update software download - all the way through 10.2.8.

But... my system preferences seem to be gone! I hit the apple menu and select "Systems Preferences" and nothing happens. I've done this at least a dozen times and have rebooted - both warm and cold. Nothing.

Any suggestions on how to make my systems preferences come back?

thanks - danbrew

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2004, 07:30 PM

first step is always....try repair permissions (especially after installing lots of updates)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2004, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
first step is always....try repair permissions (especially after installing lots of updates)
Ah... how does one go about doing that?

thanks - danbrew

reader50
Administrator
Mar 13, 2004, 09:38 PM

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Select drive/partition to fix.
First Aid tab -> Repair Disk Permissions button.

Peter753
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2004, 11:20 PM

I've actually had the same problem, with the system preferences being gone from the apple menu bar when i was in 10.2.8. I could still access the system prefernces through, through the System Preferences thing in the applications folder. The problem fixed itself when i updated to 10.3.

danbrew  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2004, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

Select drive/partition to fix.
First Aid tab -> Repair Disk Permissions button.
hmmm... thanks. did that and it repaired a few files, but still no Apple Menu/System Preferences. It's really odd - I can click on the "Systems Preferences..." menu but nothing happens - even after reboot.

Any more ideas? Upgrading to 10.3 isn't an option - I'm in this boat because I was going the other way!!

thanks - danbrew

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2004, 03:42 PM

Check which version of Systems Preferences you currently have installed in your Applications/Utilities folder. I believe Jag should be version 2.1. Anything newer than that is probably the systems prefs from Panther, and I do not believe it will run under Jag.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules