Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Montoya en Monaco

Montoya en Monaco (Page 2)
Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by Thorin:
Thanks for posting the translation though, could you post a translation of the other article you posted earlier (the Lauda and DC one), I couldn't get babelfish to accept the URL.
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/formel1/0,1518,301113,00.html

The relevant quotes from Lauda and Coulthard:

The 35-year old Schumacher apparently did brake heavily to get the brakes of his car to the required temperature when the race starts again. For the ex-worlchampion Niki Lauda the case Schumacher against Montoya was clear: "Who drives into another from behind is always at fault. Montoya has to keep a large enough distance to always be able to break."

MacLaren-Mercedes pilot David Caultahrd saw it similarly: "Michael makes the speed, all the others have align to that. Therefore Montoya should have been punished."

(I assume that's not word for word what Coulthard said since it's now translated twice.)
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I'm really confused about which Villenueve/Schumacher incidents that you are referring to. I thought that Jerez was the only one when they came together and the other 'incidents' were simply Jacques overtaking Michael.
There have been many such incidents, but I don't remember one particular. Villeneuve is driving recklessly however. That's a fact.
I think there was one where Villeneuve crashed into Ralf and a track helping person came to death.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Thorin:
http://www.motorsportmediamulti.com/...er_montoya.mpg

In it you can clearly see, that Michael quite heavily locks his front left brake, Montoya closes very quickly on Michael, and jinks to the right to avoid hitting him, as they go into the next corner Michael turns to the right (to take his line) and squeezes JPM against the wall, clipping him as he does it.
Yeah, it looks like that's how it happend.
Anyway, it sucked that it happened.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
There have been many such incidents, but I don't remember one particular. Villeneuve is driving recklessly however. That's a fact.
I think there was one where Villeneuve crashed into Ralf and a track helping person came to death.
That is not fair. It isn't as if Jacques aimed his car in the air to kill the marshall.

When you race on ovals at over 200mph like Jacques did, you have to have respect for your fellow driver or else it will end in tears for everyone. Jacques is not a dirty driver, he does not drive into other people on purpose.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 24, 2004, 12:37 PM

Anyway, it sucked that it happened.
I know I shouldn't put gas on the fire...

It may not be nice, it may not be fair, but when Michael Schumacher's Ferrari appeared from the Monte Carlo tunnel having been punched firmly on the nose, the Media Centre raised a spontaneous cheer, a sign perhaps that Ferrari has done everything right in F1 in recent years, except to win hearts and minds
Jarno Trulli:
It is always interesting to see different people on top and I think so far this Monte Carlo race has been nice for me.
Jenson Button:
It is obviously good for the sport. This is a race that a lot of people watch and it has got to really help the sport to have a different winner.

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 12:42 PM

Yeah, that was at Australia '01. Graham Beveridge I think was the marshall's name . I think the crash probably was JV's fault, but he can hardly be blamed for the death of the marshall, which was a freak accident (he was standing in front of a gap in the catch netting. The hole was almost exactly the same size as the wheel that struck him in the chest ).

I'd say in general Ralf's driving is far more dangerous and unpredictable than JPM's and JV's put together. They're both exciting racers, and although they make mistakes, they're exciting to watch.

Thanks for posting the translations for me, it's interesting to read.

Don't be too sour about Michael getting bumped out of the race. He won the first five races at a canter, and he's got a fair chance of breaking the record for most wins in a season again this year. His 7th world title is almost assured!
12" Rev B PB

Thorin
Mac Enthusiast
May 24, 2004, 12:44 PM

When you race on ovals at over 200mph like Jacques did, you have to have respect for your fellow driver or else it will end in tears for everyone. Jacques is not a dirty driver, he does not drive into other people on purpose.
Interestingly, that's almost word for word what Patrick Head said about Montoya on UK TV after the race on Sunday
12" Rev B PB

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 08:44 AM

That is not fair. It isn't as if Jacques aimed his car in the air to kill the marshall.
I didn't say he intentionally killed the track helping person.

Villeneuve was saying such things as "Formula 1 is not dangerous enough." To say something in sports like parachuting where you risk your own life only is one thing. But in Formula 1 reckless driving is dangerous not only to yourself but also to fellow drivers and the track helping people, so that's something completely different. I found that irresponsible.

I haven't heard him say something like that since that accident though.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 08:59 AM

And at the N�rburgring Montoya drives into the other Schumacher.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
May 30, 2004, 12:06 PM

And at the N�rburgring Montoya drives into the other Schumacher.
I didn't watch the race. Waking up at 6:30AM to watch a Ferrari white wash and probably no racing is not my idea of fun. But I heard he was just overambitious and locked up going into the first corner, kind of like Michael Schumacher did in Malaysia 2003 and subsequently hit Trulli. There's nothing you do after you lock up since there is no longer any rotation in the tyres so even if you turn, the car really won't go anywhere.

These types of incidents are common at the new Nurburgring because of that stupid first corner with the kink and downhill and whatnot.

I heard he made quite a charge and had a hell of a battle with Christian Klein though. I'll probably download those highlight clips tomorrow.

I guess today's 1-2 finish is good for MS; bad for F1.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2004, 02:07 PM

I didn't watch the race...
Well, lets see what you missed:

- lots of red caps, not only from MS supportes but also from Toyota, Colonia is really near.

- Michael�s first seven laps were 'enough' to win the race.

- Another BAAAD McLaren day, both cars out.

- Another BAAAD Williams day, I could hear Marc Gen� comments on live.

- Alonso had problems with the steering power aid, running wide a couple of times. A F1 car is totally a different thing that a street car, with out steering power aid you can turn the stoped F1 without problems, but on high speeds, think about the downforce and go figure

- Another good BAR race... if only Sato had a little of brain. He tried to overtake Rubens at the first corner, on a so precipitated move, he broked the front spoiler, that is a driver�s failure and not the one between Juancho and 'Half' Schumacher. Later, Sato�s Honda engine blew (again) and he did a stupid move then, crossing from the left size of the track to the right one, imagine that in the largest, almost 1 kilometer, straigh if the circuit, phew.

- Very interesting and new camera�s view, RTL maybe?, a pity the did not use the pit�s rail camera to follow the start The one almost in the Toyotas brakes was superb

That was all, oh, a new rule, if the safety car is out, the incredibely nice SLK, the drivers CAN NOT GO INTO PITS TO REFUEL OR ANYTHING TAKING ADVANTAGE over others drivers.

And just curious, the Elf Renault pump gas man, Piero, was hurt last week on Monaco during Trulli celebrations, nothing serious, so he was replaced today by Nigel, a Briton, he did a great job as ussual.

Forum Links
Forum Rules