Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DAVE Printing Problems

DAVE Printing Problems
Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2001, 12:24 PM

Ok here is a tough problem for you guys.

I have a DAVE network set up between my Powerbook G4 and my desktop PC over my Airport network. File sharing works great, but I can't seem to get printer sharing to work. The printer I'm trying to use is hooked up to my PC. It's a HP Deskjet 720C. There are a couple of issues surrounding using this printer with a Mac/DAVE:

1. I can't even find drivers to use this printer with my Mac at all and it doesn't help if the printer is parallel and my Powerbook doesn't have a parallel connection.
2. The printer isn't a Postscript printer and DAVE claims not to work with non-Postscript printers.

There must be a way around these problems though! Is there a way to print to non-Postscript printers using DAVE even though it claims not to be able to? Has anyone created their own workaround solution? Does the fact that my printer doesn't even have Mac drivers make trying to get it work with DAVE a moot point?

Thanks for your help in advance.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

-Q-
Aug 7, 2001, 02:57 PM

Sorry PB, I believe you're SOL. If the printer doesn't have drivers for your Mac, you won't be able to print to it using Dave...

Sorry I can't be more help...

-Q-
Aug 7, 2001, 08:27 PM

Trying to of more help.

Instead of using Dave on your Mac, you might want to check out PC MacLan. Never used it but it looks like it offers access to non-postscript printers...

Phat Bastard  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2001, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Q: I looked at that site and it looks interesting. But they recommend using Ghostscript to utilize a non-Postscript printer attached to a PC...why can't I use Ghostscript with DAVE?

Does anyone know how to use Ghostscript? I downloaded it but I can't figure it out. Can it automatically intercept jobs sent to my PC printer from my Mac?

Help!!!!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules