Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple Care Protection Plan for Macbook pro

Apple Care Protection Plan for Macbook pro
AustinAW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2011, 02:31 AM

I have wanted a Macbook pro for a few years now and have only recently got a chance to buy one so im not quite sure if i should get the protection plan. do you guys think its worth the money, how many of you have actually used it? i was thinking i should probably get it just for the assurance but its few extra hundred dollars.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2011, 08:09 AM

Its great to have if you need, big waste of cash if you don't. Personally, I'd shop around for third party warranty or insurance products. Often cheaper and you can cover loss, theft or accident which Apple won't.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2011, 08:36 AM

Comprehensive discussion here:

http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...care-worth-it/

(the forum search only works if you have an account and are logged in, so that's probably why you didn't find it)

AustinAW  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Comprehensive discussion here:

http://forums.macnn.com/58/imac-emac...care-worth-it/

(the forum search only works if you have an account and are logged in, so that's probably why you didn't find it)
thanks for the link

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2011, 07:56 AM

I have typically gone with AppleCare for laptops because of the higher cost of repairs associated with laptops, especially Mac laptops. I think of it as insurance, really. As such, I agree with Waragainstsleep that third-party insurance/warranty products are a good choice as well.

I think Spheric Harlot's linked thread is golden. And it applies to all AppleCare questions, regardless of which hardware you're talking about.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2011, 04:34 PM

AppleCare is cost ineffective. If you must waste your money, do so after 11 months. The exception is if th extra phone support is of major value to you and no Apple Store is available.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2011, 04:57 PM

Insurance whether it is from Apple or from a third party can be useful.

My personal experience is that I have had to use AppleCare 5 times on just 2 computers and so for me it was really worth it. Because of this experience I do not buy any major technical item without extended warranty.
this sig intentionally left blank

KenJJ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2011, 08:50 AM

I bought a MacBook Pro in Sept of 08 along with the AppleCare protection. After 2 years and 5 months it finally came in handy a few days ago.

The power adapter stopped working and got it replaced. It would have only cost me $61 had I not had AppleCare but when you're spending over $3000 for computer you want the security because you never know.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2011, 02:47 PM

If you decide to get it (I always buy AC and I NEVER buy extended warranties...) then check L.A. Computer Company. It usually has the lowest AC prices available from an authorized Apple retailer.

Stay away from eBay sellers unless you like getting ripped-off...

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2011, 02:48 PM

If you decide to get it (I always buy AC and I NEVER buy extended warranties...) then check L.A. Computer Company. It usually has the lowest AC prices available from an authorized Apple retailer.

Stay away from eBay sellers unless you like getting ripped-off...

Forum Links
Forum Rules