Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic Apple Menu-like Menu Extra

Classic Apple Menu-like Menu Extra
Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2001, 04:58 AM

Apple never should have removed the ability to add programs/documents/folders to the Apple menu. I have been using Classic Menu to get around this. This is not ideal. It is a pain to toggle back and forth between Classic Menu and the real Apple menu.

Is there a menu extra that does the same thing as the Classic Apple menu? That would solve my problem. (And don't suggest putting a folder in the Dock.)

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Adam Silver ]

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 02:55 AM

So no one knows of such a utility? I can't be the only person who wants this.

o0o Mac Guy o0o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2001, 09:09 PM

I dont know of one. I dont really want it because of the dock. And have you thought of putting a folder in the dock?

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2001, 09:35 PM

I hope you're joking. I specifically stated in my first post:

<STRONG>And don't suggest putting a folder in the Dock.</STRONG>

Borborygmi
Nov 27, 2001, 03:40 AM

I would like a customizable Apple menu, or what about something like "TaskMenu Bar" in OS 9? Once Apple publishes (if?) the API's for those little menu additions (like the one the monitor, PPP, sound etc use), I bet there will be something similar to a launcher type application that you can put Apps, folders, etc in.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 04:48 AM

hey, check out X-Assist. it's not spot on but it may get ya pretty close. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pli/x-assist/

good luck!

Mike
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Adam Price
Nov 29, 2001, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Adam Silver:
<STRONG>I hope you're joking. I specifically stated in my first post:

[qb]And don't suggest putting a folder in the Dock.</STRONG>[/QB]
Because, like me, you want the folder to be in the same place all the time. The dock moves as you add things to it, which means any navigational folders move with it, which makes it very poor. I know my apple menu so well, I don't even have to look at it to open things. So far, there is no good solution. This and the lack of HotKeys are the two biggest problems with the interface. Spring loaded folders and window shade are numbers three and four.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Adam Price ]

Adam Silver  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 04:42 PM

Adam, you can get your hotkeys back with Keyboard Maestro. You can get your collapse box (windowshade) back with WindowShade X. And, as I mentioned in my first post, you can get the old Apple menu back with Classic Menu as long as you don't mind doing more to get to the real Apple menu (which is why I want a menu extra to do this).

Forum Links
Forum Rules