Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Obama/Powell '08

Obama/Powell '08
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2008, 09:43 PM

For the life of me, I can not think of a better ticket. For this place, at this time. Forget race...they both transcend that. I'm talking about the men..I couldn't imagine a better pair of leaders. What a medicine that would be..just take 30 seconds to imagine that world. Its not so far away.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2008, 09:55 PM

It would require Powell to switch parties. Other than affirmative action I'm not sure there be much more they would have in common policy wise.
45/47

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
For the life of me, I can not think of a better ticket.
Obama/Kucinich would be a good assassination insurance policy for Obama.

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 12:22 AM

Powell proved himself a fool. I can't imagine a worse vice president. All the incompetent Bush officials should be out of government for life.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 03:09 AM

I think he's going to pick Huckabee.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 03:20 PM

As demonstrated by tie's comment, I don't think the left/antiwar wing of the party would tolerate a Powell selection, since many hold him responsible for his disastrous UN speech that laid out the (erroneous or downright mendacious) case for war.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 03:22 PM

As much as I think Powell's loyalty and sense of duty outweighed good judgment with regards to the Bush administration, I'd probably give him a second chance.

Edit: Yeah, I don't see the point of this ticket specifically, though, other than its obvious play towards the race card.
( Last edited by Dakar the Fourth; Feb 12, 2008 at 03:29 PM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2008, 03:28 PM

I see no logic in that ticket.

There's no way to say this delicately so I'll just be blunt, I think race would be a much larger issue if Powell joined the ticket. Then of course there's Powell's beliefs and being a republican - I don't any synergy or alignment to the democrat ideals. No it would weaken Obama's bid.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2008, 05:03 PM

Since Powell is a Republican, it would have a certain amount of appeal based upon Obama's advocation of "bringing people together" and working with people across the aisle. But it would be negated by there being two African-Americans on the ticket. I didn't think I would see an African-American with a viable shot at winning a major party nomination in my lifetime once Powell passed on a Republican bid. So now we have Obama who just might pull it off. And he just might win the Presidency (though I wonder what percentage of whites who support him publicly will abandon him in the voting booth). But adding Powell to the ticket would inject race into the mix in a dramatic fashion, which in and of itself is distressing because when two white guys run together it's not given a second though. But the reality is that in this day and age in America, two African-Americans running on the same ticket would be perceived quite differently.

OAW

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:44 AM

I think whatever respect Colin Powell once had has been irreparably tarnished by his time in the Bush Administration. I mean, come on, the guy made the "case" to the UN that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction and that military action was required. For Obama, who has been adamantly proud of his stance against the war from the beginning, to pick Powell as a potential running mate makes no sense.

If Obama does win the Democratic nomination, he'll likely pick a Washington outsider to reinforce his message of Change.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2008, 12:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picks someone with military credentials, though. Wes Clark?

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Obama picks someone with military credentials, though. Wes Clark?
I think that could be a good pick for him. Or Jim Webb - but you'd hate to see that senate seat vacated.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 01:23 PM

Obama is so dangerously ignorant about politics, Constitutional rights, the roles of the legislature and executive branhces, etc. etc. etc. that it would be downright dangerous to elect the man anything higher than dogcatcher.

Boston.com - Special reports - News

And that is from a LIBERAL paper that has already ENDORSED Obama.
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobat View Post
Obama is so dangerously ignorant about politics, Constitutional rights, the roles of the legislature and executive branhces, etc. etc. etc. that it would be downright dangerous to elect the man anything higher than dogcatcher.

Boston.com - Special reports - News

And that is from a LIBERAL paper that has already ENDORSED Obama.
Yeah, I'm sure that he, as a former constitutional law professor, is ignorant of the constitution.

What I see in that interview is an unwillingness to sign onto this bogus "unitary executive" (i.e., the president has the authority to be above the law and do anything he wants including unilaterally deciding to not follow the law and to disregard individual liberties).

You may disagree with the libertarian approach that he takes to civil liberties, but that says more about your view of the constitution than his.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 01:47 PM

The assertion that Barack Obama, a graduate of Harvard Law School, editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review, a former civil rights attorney and former constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago's school of law, is ignorant of the constitution and the power and rights thereunder is absurd. I just read through the interview and he seems to take a very retrained view of executive power as it relates to the president's role as commander in chief and in the arena of domestic affairs. He's correct in his references to the text of the constitution, constitutional case law, and statutory limitations as it concerns executive power. If there's an inverse relation between the power of government and civil liberties, I think liberals an libertarians should be happy. If he's for a smaller role for government, of which the executive and all its agencies are a part, I'd imagine conservatives should be happy too.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that he, as a former constitutional law professor, is ignorant of the constitution.

What I see in that interview is an unwillingness to sign onto this bogus "unitary executive" (i.e., the president has the authority to be above the law and do anything he wants including unilaterally deciding to not follow the law and to disregard individual liberties).

You may disagree with the libertarian approach that he takes to civil liberties, but that says more about your view of the constitution than his.

Then you reveal that you didn't READ the interview. He thinks only Congress can dissolve a treaty, he thinks that Congress can dictate troop movements and deployments, etc., etc., etc.

Your "Constitutional Professor" (btw - a lie, he lectured, didn't teach - BIG difference) doesn't even know what the document lays out as the powers to the branches of the government, yet he wants to be elected President.

He also feels that rights upheld for both the exective and legislative branhces by the SCOTUS are invalid.

Your "professor" is an ignoramus. Funny how Obama worshippers keep giving him more and more things that he hasn't done or earned.

Wikipedia entry:

Barack Hussein Obama (pronounced /bəˈɹɑːk huˈseɪn oʊˈbɑːmə/;[1] born August 4, 1961) is the junior United States Senator from Illinois and a leading candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2008 U.S. presidential election.[2][3]
Born to a black Kenyan father and a white American mother, he lived most of his childhood in Honolulu, Hawaii. From ages six to ten, he lived in Jakarta with his mother and Indonesian stepfather. A graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, Obama worked as a community organizer, university lecturer, and civil rights lawyer before running for public office and serving in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004. After an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, he announced his campaign for U.S. Senate in 2003.
The following year, while still an Illinois state legislator, Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.[4] He was elected to the U.S. Senate in November 2004 with 70% of the vote.[5] As a member of the Democratic minority in the 109th Congress, he co-sponsored bipartisan legislation for controlling conventional weapons and for promoting greater public accountability in the use of federal funds. He also made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In the current 110th Congress, he has sponsored legislation on lobbying and electoral fraud, climate change, nuclear terrorism, and care for returned U.S. military personnel.
Since announcing his presidential campaign in February 2007, Obama has emphasized ending the Iraq War while maintaining a a strong defense abroad, increasing energy independence, and providing universal health care as major priorities.[6] He married in 1992 and has two daughters. He has written two bestselling books: a memoir of his youth titled Dreams from My Father, and The Audacity of Hope, a personal commentary on U.S. politics.[7]
These are ALL things taught in middle school Civics classes.
( Last edited by Macrobat; Feb 13, 2008 at 02:06 PM. )
"That Others May Live"
On the ISG: "The nation's capital hasn't seen such concentrated wisdom in one place since Paris Hilton dined alone at the Hooters on Connecticut Avenue." - John Podhoretz

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
The assertion that Barack Obama, a graduate of Harvard Law School, editor-in-chief of the Harvard Law Review, a former civil rights attorney and former constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago's school of law, is ignorant of the constitution and the power and rights thereunder is absurd.
Yes, yes, that's all good you may say, but does he have the 9,000 years of experience (or whatever number she is currently claiming) that Hillary has?

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:24 PM

Then you reveal that you didn't READ the interview. He thinks only Congress can dissolve a treaty, he thinks that Congress can dictate troop movements and deployments, etc., etc., etc.
Under what circumstances, if any, is the president, when operating overseas as commander-in-chief, free to disregard international human rights treaties that the US Senate has ratified?

It is illegal and unwise for the President to disregard international human rights treaties that have been ratified by the United States Senate, including and especially the Geneva Conventions. The Commander-in-Chief power does not allow the President to defy those treaties.
Treaties ratified by the Senate have the same effect as federal law, by which even the President is bound and accordingly cannot unilaterally abrogate or withdraw from.

Does the Constitution empower the president to disregard a congressional statute limiting the deployment of troops -- either by capping the number of troops that may be deployed to a particular country or by setting minimum home-stays between deployments? In other words, is that level of deployment management beyond the constitutional power of Congress to regulate?

No, the President does not have that power. To date, several Congresses have imposed limitations on the number of US troops deployed in a given situation. As President, I will not assert a constitutional authority to deploy troops in a manner contrary to an express limit imposed by Congress and adopted into law.
Congress' power to impose limitations on commander in chief powers stems directly from the constitution, including (1) the calling forth clause (The Congress shall have power . . . To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions); (2) the war powers clause (The Congress shall have power . . . To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water); (3) power over the army and navy (The Congress shall have power . . . To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years; To provide and maintain a navy; To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces); and (4) the taxing and spending clause. In addition, statutory law, such as the War Powers Act of 1973, place further limitations on the commander in chief power.

Your "Constitutional Professor" (btw - a lie, he lectured, didn't teach - BIG difference) doesn't even know what the document lays out as the powers to the branches of the government, yet he wants to be elected President.
FYI, almost all law school courses are lecture classes, and constitutional law (usually taken as a 1L or 2L) is always a lecture course. Functionally, there is little difference between a lecturer, adjunct professor, or tenured professor in law schools other than for administrative purposes and they're all called "professor" for everyday purposes.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2008, 02:28 PM

macrobat, that interview shows that Obama takes a libertarian view of the government, in which the president doesn't have supreme power and does have to follow the law. You (apparently) take an authoritarian view of the powers of the government and the president. He has taught constitutional law, so the idea that he is ignorant at a grade school level of the constitution is truly absurd. You just disagree because you apparently believe in an all-powerful government and president, and he believes in limited government power.

BTW: you said "a lie, he lectured, didn't teach - BIG difference," but I think what you mean is that he wasn't a full time tenured or tenure-track professor. (There's no difference between lecturing and teaching.) That's fair enough, but he's still more knowledgeable than you or than an average grade-schooler on the constitution. You just differ with him on the amount of power the government can claim.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:31 PM

Wikipedia entry:

Barack Hussein Obama (pronounced /bəˈɹɑːk huˈseɪn oʊˈbɑːmə/;[1] born August 4, 1961) is the junior United States Senator from Illinois and a leading candidate for the Democratic nomination in the 2008 U.S. presidential election.[2][3]
Born to a black Kenyan father and a white American mother, he lived most of his childhood in Honolulu, Hawaii. From ages six to ten, he lived in Jakarta with his mother and Indonesian stepfather. A graduate of Columbia University and Harvard Law School, Obama worked as a community organizer, university lecturer, and civil rights lawyer before running for public office and serving in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004. After an unsuccessful bid for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives in 2000, he announced his campaign for U.S. Senate in 2003.
The following year, while still an Illinois state legislator, Obama delivered the keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.[4] He was elected to the U.S. Senate in November 2004 with 70% of the vote.[5] As a member of the Democratic minority in the 109th Congress, he co-sponsored bipartisan legislation for controlling conventional weapons and for promoting greater public accountability in the use of federal funds. He also made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In the current 110th Congress, he has sponsored legislation on lobbying and electoral fraud, climate change, nuclear terrorism, and care for returned U.S. military personnel.
Since announcing his presidential campaign in February 2007, Obama has emphasized ending the Iraq War while maintaining a a strong defense abroad, increasing energy independence, and providing universal health care as major priorities.[6] He married in 1992 and has two daughters. He has written two bestselling books: a memoir of his youth titled Dreams from My Father, and The Audacity of Hope, a personal commentary on U.S. politics.[7]

These are ALL things taught in middle school Civics classes.
Wait, what? They teach Barack Obama's wikipedia entry in middle school civics? Or do you mean how to wiki everything, since that's how kids seem to get through school nowadays?

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 13, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Yes, yes, that's all good you may say, but does he have the 9,000 years of experience (or whatever number she is currently claiming) that Hillary has?
Nah, but Hillary is a Yale Law School graduate and was a corporate attorney who served on the board of Walmart.

Monique
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 12:57 PM

You cannot have a president and vice-president from different parties. Because they would need to have the approbation for both parties and it is not likely to happen.

The fact is that the Republican like Obama because they know they can easily beat the crap out of him. They just need to challenge him a little and we will have to endure the Republicans in the White house.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
You cannot have a president and vice-president from different parties. Because they would need to have the approbation for both parties and it is not likely to happen.

The fact is that the Republican like Obama because they know they can easily beat the crap out of him. They just need to challenge him a little and we will have to endure the Republicans in the White house.
Before it was changed by the Twelfth amendment, second place in the Electoral College was VP, and were often from different parties.
( Last edited by Chongo; Feb 19, 2008 at 02:48 PM. )
45/47

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 01:44 PM

As a Canadian, what - exactly - is it that you have to "endure?"
"That Others May Live"

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2008, 02:10 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Monique
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2008, 02:14 PM

As a Canadian, what - exactly - is it that you have to "endure?"
Since your country control 80% of the Canadian economy, a lot of decisions your government take affect us.

Also, as a human being seeing the mess Bush has plunged your country into is very very sad.

ghostdawg
Feb 20, 2008, 06:55 AM

It doesn't matter which democrat win, the USA is not ready for a minority as president. Yes, women are considered a minority group.

So it looks like four more years of a republican president, McCain I assume now.
G4 Mini | 1.25mhz | 512mb | 40gb | OS X 10.3.9 | 19in Hanns G LCD

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 10:19 AM

Since your country control 80% of the Canadian economy, a lot of decisions your government take affect us.

Also, as a human being seeing the mess Bush has plunged your country into is very very sad.
Identify this "mess" please. And expand on how it has affected Canada to the point where you have to "endure" anything except the incessant whining from other Canadians and liberal Americans.

And no, Republicans like the prospect of running against Obama because he has no platform, whatsoever. He's all about "hope" and "change," with no substance.

Yet again - Obama supporters can name NOTHING he's done:

RedLasso - State Sen. Kirk Watson on Obama

Maybe doing nothing is a plus for Canadian politics - not so much here.

But HEY! We can get "change!"

YouTube - First Citiwide Change Bank
( Last edited by Macrobat; Feb 20, 2008 at 10:58 AM. )
"That Others May Live"

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 11:38 AM

That boston.com article is making it more likely for me to vote for him. I would be interested in Clinton and McCain's answers to the same questions....

Dork.
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 11:40 AM

And no, Republicans like the prospect of running against Obama because he has no platform, whatsoever. He's all about "hope" and "change," with no substance.
I actually think this is because Obama's platform and Hillary's platform are more similar than they care to admit. If Obama wins the nomination, I expect him to start explaining his differences with McCain more sharply.

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 03:13 PM

(btw - a lie, he lectured, didn't teach - BIG difference).
Okay, I'll bite. Please enlighten us. What is the difference?

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2008, 05:25 PM

Simple, Tie, he lectured -a grand total of twice, did not grade, his lectures CARRIED no grade. All he did was simply throw out his opinion, answer a few questions and blow out.
"That Others May Live"

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2008, 05:48 PM

You are claiming that he only gave two lectures? This is false. He also taught more than two different classes, according to quick Google searches. I don't know where you are getting your information, but it is incorrect.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2008, 07:20 PM

I was under the impression that he taught classes. If that's wrong, I'd also be interested in seeing it.

Macrobat
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2008, 09:28 AM

Twice as in two semesters. He held NO classes, did NOTHING that involved a grade for the students. IOn college, if you speak to students in an organized manner - you are "lecturing." Obama does not even possess a teaching credential. In other words, he did precisely what he does now - speechify. Even his own campaign only claims that he "lectured" at University of Chicago Law School "on Constitutional law." Judging from his LACK of knowledge which branches of the Federal government are responsible for WHAT as evidenced in the interview I posted, I bet that was a hoot.

This is the "ilk" of his lectures:

Sen. Barack Obama to speak tonight - Campus News

Show me these "quick Google searches," since you posted no links.

No claim has ever been made by him, his campaign, or even his Wikipedia entry that he taught classes. Only ones making those kinds of claims are the "Obama is Messiah" urban-legend-generating crowd.

Not even a nice try, Tie.
( Last edited by Macrobat; Feb 21, 2008 at 09:59 AM. )
"That Others May Live"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2008, 02:43 PM

Well, I just did a Google search, and here's what I could find.

Apparently, Obama started lecturing at U of Chicago in 1993:

University of Chicago Law School > Curriculum Vitae

He stopped teaching in 2003, which puts him on the faculty for ten years. Also, he appears to have been one of the most popular teachers at U of Chicago for some time.

Law students gave Obama big thumbs-up :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Barack Obama

More on Obama's teaching style:

Professor Obama was a listener, students say :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Elections

The faculty of the school tried to talk him into joining full-time on several occasions, but he declined:

The University of Chicago Law School Faculty Blog: Barack Obama

I think that if he were that popular a teacher for 10 years, he'd have to have done something more than just give speeches for two semesters, unless of course those two semesters lasted five years each.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Feb 21, 2008 at 02:50 PM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2008, 02:52 PM

Twice as in two semesters. He held NO classes, did NOTHING that involved a grade for the students. IOn college, if you speak to students in an organized manner - you are "lecturing." Obama does not even possess a teaching credential. In other words, he did precisely what he does now - speechify.
I call BS. Every other source indicates that he taught Constitutional Law classes. You're simply making stuff up and capitalizing it as if that makes it true.

And what's a "teaching credential?"

tie
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2008, 03:00 PM

Macrobat, in higher education lecturing is teaching. You may be right that he never graded himself and that he relied on teaching assistants to do the grading, but that probably means that he was teaching larger classes (which contradicts your main claim). (I'd be surprised if you were right on this, though, since everything else you've claimed has been wrong.) Teaching credentials are reserved for high-school teachers. Try to find anybody on the faculty of the U of Chicago law school with a teaching credential.

CharlesS gave you some links to check out. You still haven't shown us any. Googling Obama and law school will give you many more, or Obama teaching, anything along these lines. You'll find that he taught constitutional law as well as two other classes.

Originally Posted by Macrobat
Only ones making those kinds of claims are the "Obama is Messiah" urban-legend-generating crowd.
This is offensive. Please do a little amount of research before throwing out lies and then calling everyone else names.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 21, 2008, 03:41 PM

Macrobat, did you even go to college or law school? Almost no professor, in universities or law schools, have "teaching credentials," in the sense of B.A. or Ph.D in Higher Education or whatever. A professor of Molecular Biology might have "only" a Ph.D in Biology, and a law school professor need "only" have a J.D. from a (preferably ABA-accredited) law school. That fact that Obama graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School (no easy feat, since law schools are notoriously tough with grades and usually only the valedictorian graduates summa cum laude), Obama is either instant big firm, federal court law clerk, or academic material.

Moreover, as I noted above, law school courses, especially many taken in the 1L and 2L years, are predominantly lecture driven, with the Socratic method very popular among professors. There is little distinction between a lecturer, an adjunct professor, or tenure track or tenured professor, as they all typically teach in the same style. The only important difference is purely for administrative purposes. And while constitutional law courses are typically "graded," in the sense you get a grade that counts toward your grade point average, some top tier law schools do not give grades and merely issue pass/fail. Seminars in law school also may or may not be graded. It is also not uncommon for professors to take one or two semesters off from teaching for sabbatical, to do a visiting professorship, to work on an article or brief, or for whatever other reason, and then return to teaching.

Stop being ignorant and get your facts straight.
( Last edited by Oversoul; Feb 21, 2008 at 04:02 PM. )

Monique
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2008, 08:49 AM

Identify this "mess" please. And expand on how it has affected Canada to the point where you have to "endure" anything except the incessant whining from other Canadians and liberal Americans.

Yet again - Obama supporters can name NOTHING he's done:

RedLasso - State Sen. Kirk Watson on Obama

Maybe doing nothing is a plus for Canadian politics - not so much here.

But HEY! We can get "change!"

YouTube - First Citiwide Change Bank
First, I agree Obama is only fluff, nothing there. This is the reason why Republicans like him so much.

The mess is called Afghanistan.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2008, 08:58 AM

The mess is called Afghanistan.
That'd be Jimmy Carter that you need to thank - Afghanistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2008, 01:06 PM

If you want a winning ticket:

Barack Obama / General Wesley Clark
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2008, 03:04 PM

Obama blasts Cinton /Obama ticket
ABC News
45/47

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 08:12 PM

I resurrected this thread to provide some refreshing perspective from wonkette.com:

He Cheats With His Resume Enhancement: The Secret Shocking Truth About Barack Obama's Law School Teaching Experience!

Our tale starts way back on Monday, when Hillary Clinton's team released a statement saying "Sen. Obama consistently and falsely claims that he was a law professor." And then in response the University of Chicago Law School said this: "From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School."

It is nauseating that Barack Obama, having lied so horribly and blatantly about his so-called "professional experience," has now sucked one of the nation's best law schools into his Web of Untruth. Shame on you, Barack Obama!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

Actually, if he claimed he was a Law Professor, that would be a "mis characterization". A law professor can be just a lecturer (which he was).

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.
ebuddy

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 09:33 PM

Yes, the capitalization is important. Obama was not a Professor, and definitely not a Full Professor, but he was a professor. I love academics. (Look it up on wikipedia.)

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2008, 03:35 AM

Eh, I'm a Professor with a capital P and I hadn't heard that one before.

OreoCookie
Mar 29, 2008, 04:41 AM

Huh? That's also news to me.
The term professor is very much country specific. In England, they usually use lecturer, reader and professor instead of assistant professor, associate professor and full professor. The wikipedia page doesn't get it quite right either: in Austria (they are very, very special when it comes to titles), they use university professor, college professor and so on to distinguish yourself from a puny teacher at high school. In America, you usually become a professor when you teach, no prior academic experience is even necessary (e. g. famous authors or former politicians become professors).

So altogether, the article you've quoted, Dork, has got it wrong, the guy doesn't know squat about academia.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

lefty mclefty
Baninated
Mar 29, 2008, 07:18 AM

obama/oprah! she would tell both hillary and macrobat to "hush up"!

Forum Links
Forum Rules