Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Dummy Powerbook Battery?

Dummy Powerbook Battery?
dslack70
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 28, 2006, 07:03 PM

Does anyone make a dummy battery to fit a current 15" Powerbook? I used to have one for an old old Apple Powerbook and it was great if you are not looking to use battery power and want to lighten the weight but still protect the battery compartment.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2006, 01:58 AM

I think no one makes one (correct me if I am wrong). If you take the battery out for too long, most PRAM settings will be gone. I tried it once and the date/time info need to be updated again.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2006, 11:44 AM

Plus, on some machines, if the battery is not installed, the processor runs at a reduced speed. And if the DC cable accidentally comes out, you're screwed.

Steve

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
Plus, on some machines, if the battery is not installed, the processor runs at a reduced speed. And if the DC cable accidentally comes out, you're screwed.

Steve
I didnt think about that! Expecially with the MagSafe connector! I think ill leave my batter in when I get my MBP
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 06:11 PM

While I don't really recommend this, for obvious reasons of danger, you can buy a dead battery and gut it (make sure the contacts are gone).

lars-man
Jun 30, 2006, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
And if the DC cable accidentally comes out, you're screwed.

Steve
But that might happen to desktop machines, too. And usually, they don't have a battery as well... ;-)

Kind regards, Lars

Crouching Donkey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 15, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by chipchen
While I don't really recommend this, for obvious reasons of danger, you can buy a dead battery and gut it (make sure the contacts are gone).
I think in the absence of a manufactured dummy battery, this is the next best idea. Of course, you have to be aware of the certain risks involved, and if you think it's not worth it, then don't do it. But, what's crossed my mind recently, largely prompted by the battery recalls is, G4 batteries (and power adapter for that matter) are gonna be increasingly difficult to get hold of in the future. I'd like to continue using my Powerbook for a good few years yet, even if it I do upgrade, and I can use it as a secondary laptop. It will limit it's range if the battery is completely dead, and I'll be screwed if the power adapter goes. So I'm planning to buy an extra battery and power adapter as a just in case.

I usually use my Powerbook at home, so I can plug in, as and when necessary. But in the meantime, my battery is getting charged and discharged and using up it's cycles. Does anyone know if having it plugged in all the time will reduce the cycles?
24" 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme iMac | Powerbook G4 12" 1.5Ghz 1.25GB RAM 160GB HD | 4G iPod photo 40GB | 5.5G iPod 80GB | 1G nano 4GB | 2G nano 4GB | 2G shuffle 1GB

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 09:39 AM

A given battery will only run for a certain number of cycles, true, but batteries that aren't cycled regularly tend to lose some of their capacity. A good rule of thumb I've encountered in my research is to try and go through at least one cycle a month. This doesn't have to be a full cycle -- running it down to 75% once a week counts. This is how the System Profiler (under the "power" tab) keeps track of how many cycles the battery has used: it totals up the battery power used across multiple sessions, and ten sessions of 10% usage is equal to one session of 100%.

There are companies that will "refurbish" your battery by taking out dying cells and replacing them with fresh cells. Often, since you're doing this three or four years after you initially bought the laptop, the battery is replaced with higher-capacity cells and you end up with more battery life than you did before! Li-Ion cells are not the easiest things to world to handle, but a trained technician can replace them with no problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules