Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My Macbook Pro Crashes Very Day Or So.

My Macbook Pro Crashes Very Day Or So.
robert_hiester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 10:00 PM

So, I bought this computer, because I love the apps and OSX, but it crashes every couple days, and it is really starting to piss me off. It is only two weeks old. I ran a hardware test, it came up clean! I've noticed it usually likes to crash when Itunes is running/performing a task, and sometimes when I am downloading updates for my software. Anyone have similar problems, or suggestions of what is causing this?

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by robert_hiester
So, I bought this computer, because I love the apps and OSX, but it crashes every couple days, and it is really starting to piss me off. It is only two weeks old. I ran a hardware test, it came up clean! I've noticed it usually likes to crash when Itunes is running/performing a task, and sometimes when I am downloading updates for my software. Anyone have similar problems, or suggestions of what is causing this?
Isn't that all computers do?! That sucks, if there is no panic or anything like that it's kinda hard to tell if it's hardware or software, read around one of the many threads of negative macbook talk, as you can see, there are many options as to what it can be.

Good luck.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

robert_hiester  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 07:47 PM

It does give that emergency message, "You must shut down computer and restart." WTF could be wrong with it?

Arju
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 09:45 PM

Try a reinstall of OSX... beyond that it may as well be defective.
Notebook: MacBook White 2.0Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HD | Superdrive
HTPC: AMD 3800X2 | Asus A8N-SLI Premium | 2GB RAM | Asus N7800GT | 900+ GB of Storage | Sony 60" Grand WEGA
iPod Video 80GB

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2006, 09:53 PM

Daily panics are probably a sign of defective hardware, if a OS X reinstall doesn't fix it.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 10:52 PM

purchased a macbook pro had the same problem like you sent it to apple, test confirmed faulty hardware was exchanged im happy

robert_hiester  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2006, 11:56 PM

Thanks for the advice, but after reinstalling OSX, do I need to reinstall all my software?

marissa
Aug 2, 2006, 11:59 PM

yes you do. =[
macbook.

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2006, 05:02 AM

Wait... did you buy some 3rd party RAM? If so, try remove them and run your computer a while to see if that's the curprit.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

ibook_steve
Aug 3, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by marissa
yes you do. =[

No you don't. Why would you need to reinstall apps unless you were to completely format the hard disk?

Steve

QueenOfSwords
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by robert_hiester
There's a known issue with some MBPs and the Airport cards that causes kernel panics when the card is doing some heavier traffic. That's what it sounds like to me. If you take it into Apple mention that is is panicing when you download a lot of data.

Forum Links
Forum Rules