Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hybrid HD in Mac laptop (oops, I mean notebook) possible?

Hybrid HD in Mac laptop (oops, I mean notebook) possible?
phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2006, 05:53 AM

Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate and other manufacturers are coming out with hybrid harddrives next year. Will our existing MBPs or MBs support these drives? I've read Vista will support them. So is this a hardware issue or software issue or both?

Welcome your insights. Thanks.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

bloodline
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2006, 12:44 PM

I'm not sure but I think you have to have file system support for the hybrid features of the drive... Unless the Drive simply uses the Flash as a cache, but Flash isn't suited to traditional caching methods... I really don't know, but I expect it's gonna need specific support from Apple.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by phantomo View Post
...manufacturers are coming out with hybrid harddrives next year. ...I've read Vista will support them.
Vista? Wasn't that due in 2004?

Every IT pro that I have spoken to or read on forums - 100%, which is unheard of - has said they have no intention of migrating to Vista in any forseeable time frame. MS is relying on coupons and such to hype Vista to dumb consumers.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2006, 06:03 PM

Yes, the Intel Macs will support hybrid drives... if OSX will take advantage of them in another matter. Intel is also going to offer Robson (flash memory attached to the chipset) in the upcoming Santa Rosa chipset, so Apple may decide to go that route instead. Or both.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2006, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Vista? Wasn't that due in 2004?

Every IT pro that I have spoken to or read on forums - 100%, which is unheard of - has said they have no intention of migrating to Vista in any forseeable time frame. MS is relying on coupons and such to hype Vista to dumb consumers.

-Allen Wicks
What the hell does this have to do with hybrid drives in Macs? Does anti-MS rhetoric ever stop?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2006, 06:41 PM

Asking what Apple will use in Macs is stupid. No one but Apple knows.

Anything is possible. Apple sometimes jumps on new technology and sometimes they sit back and take forever to adapt something (like USB2).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules