Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Intel iMac: Long wake from sleep or problem?

Intel iMac: Long wake from sleep or problem?
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 09:24 AM

My Intel iMac seems to take forever to awaken from sleep. I hit the mouse, it lights up, but the display doesn't light up for at least 30 seconds.

I also get speaker popping and some screen flickering while waking, but I can ignore those.

Anyone else have this issue?

The machine is totally stock.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2006, 02:17 PM

I had this problem too when I only had the stock 512 RAM in there. Once I bumped it to 1.5 gigs, the problems disappeared.

gambo
Mar 6, 2006, 05:03 PM

Srry, i also have a stock intel imac and i do not have that issue.

BikerJonTN
Mar 6, 2006, 05:14 PM

I have had this problem. I believe that this behaviour is a symptom of only having 512MB of RAM. I have noticed a few other quirks and I believe they are also related to the low amount of memory.

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2006, 07:00 PM

Upgrading the RAM I will be doing... it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue if others have seen it and it went away.

One thing i did notice is is comes back if it hasn't been asleep as long. 15 minutes and it comes right up. 4 hours or more, 30 seconds before the display turns on.

Did I mention how quiet it is compared to my G4 DP800?
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Mar 6, 2006 at 08:05 PM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

jason98
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2006, 08:19 PM

I've been having an issue with my new iMac not waking. I recently upgraded it to 1.5GB, so the memory thing shouldn't be an issue. It only seems to not wake when it falls asleep on its own. I hear the audio pop, the hard drives spin up, but the screen never comes on, and I am unable to connect to it from my laptop (via SSH or AFS).

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks.

P.S. This is my second big issue with the intel side of things. VPN connections do not honor the "Send all traffic over the VPN connection" setting. It always does, regardless of the state of the checkbox.

Forum Links
Forum Rules