Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo Parts

Pismo Parts
Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 08:33 AM

Many of you out there are Pismo owners who maybe are no longer Pismo USERS. If you have a broken pismo that isn't worth fixing, I need your help.

My pismo mouse button broke, so I opened it up to fix it. I fixed the button (superglue, baby), but in the process of reassembly, I damaged the actual pins and connector that are attached to the logic board for the trackpad. The plastic shell on the PCB pulled off and some of the pins pulled off and some stayed with the logic board.

Can anyone sell me a logic board cheap? Or does anyone know where I can get the connector pins for the logic board for the trackpad? (I have access to people with the soldering skills to make the repair). I just need the parts! (I know I can buy them on ebay, but I want to fix this on the cheap since it's not worth putting too much more money into.)

My second request is for ONE of the long silver screws that hold the top cover to the bottom. Mine is missing one and I determined it is the cause of some of the sound card problems I have been having. You can't easily buy these screws (that I know of) and if someone is willing to send me a screw or two in an envelope it will be no trouble. I can offer small payments via paypal for your trouble.

Anyone?
( Last edited by Eriamjh; Sep 14, 2006 at 10:47 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

dandare123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
Many of you out there are Pismo owners who maybe are no longer Pismo USERS. If you have a broken pismo that isn't worth fixing, I need your help.

My pismo mouse button broke, so I opened it up to fix it. I fixed the button (superglue, baby), but in the process of reassembly, I damaged the actual pins and connector that are attached to the logic board for the trackpad. The plastic shell on the PCB pulled off and some of the pins pulled off and some stayed with the logic board.

Can anyone sell me a logic board cheap? Or does anyone know where I can get the connector pins for the logic board for the trackpad? (I have access to people with the soldering skills to make the repair). I just need the parts! (I know I can buy them on ebay, but I want to fix this on the cheap since it's not worth putting too much more money into.)

My second request is for ONE of the long silver screws that hold the top cover to the bottom. Mine is missing one and I determined it is the cause of some of the sound card problems I have been having. You can't easily buy these screws (that I know of) and if someone is willing to send me a screw or two in an envelope it will be no trouble. I can offer small payments via paypal for your trouble.

Anyone?
I mght be able to help you - I am located in Tokyo and here I have access to low cost spare parts and entire dead/outdated hardware. I can look around here for you and see if I can locate the parts (no promises...), I can also see if I can get a replacement for your Pismo for cheap (in Akihabara, the so called 'Electric Town' you once in a while find old Mac notebooks labeled as 'Junk' for very little money). From what I read in your post I guss the easiest thing would be to find a matching 'junk' pair and send it to you. Best would be if you could send me the exact specs of the one you have - I can then try to see what is available here and will let you know the cost. You can email me at [email protected]

Eriamjh  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 10:47 AM

My Pismo is a 400MHz Model, but only the CPU is different compared to the 500MHz model.
All other parts are the same.

I can find spare Pismo parts everywhere, but not specific PCB parts separately (like caps, or actual hardware). I work in the PCB/automotive business to removing components, repairing and replacing is not outside of my skills. However, it is almost impossible to find any particular connector Apple uses in any notebook just by looking at a parts catalog. If I had an Apple component bill of materials/parts list, I could cross reference the connector and probably locate an equivalent.

A smashed logic board that doesn't work would likely have a reusable component on it for me. Anyone got one?

By the way, the logic board looks like this (As long as the ebay auction is up):
[oversize image removed --tooki]
( Last edited by tooki; Sep 14, 2006 at 11:52 AM. )

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules