Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > What happened to Disable Smilies in this Post?

What happened to Disable Smilies in this Post?
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2007, 01:33 AM

The forums used to have a check box to disable all smilies in a post. Now, I don't see it again.

For an example of why this is needed, look here:

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...a/#post3302935

Some other examples of when this feature is handy:

tell application "Finder"
     get info for file "Macintosh HD:Users:meesktopicture 1.png"
end tell

[[NSImage alloc] initWithDataicData];

Please give us this ability back, so MacNN can be useful for actual technical discussions and not just arguing about crap in the Lounge.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Feb 15, 2007 at 01:34 AM. Reason: ok, why doesn't the code tag work anymore?)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Kevin
Baninated
Feb 16, 2007, 10:35 AM

Seconded.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2007, 12:50 PM

you mean the option under Miscellaneous options?:

that's under the advanced. would be handy to have with the post quick reply though

-a

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
you mean the option under Miscellaneous options?:
<snip>

that's under the advanced. would be handy to have with the post quick reply though

-a
Looks like this from here:

I notice you're using Firefox, so thinking that could have something to do with it, I gave it a try in FF. Same result:

What's going on? How come you see that option and I don't? Also, why is the spacing messed up between the check boxes in your pic?

edit: okay, I figured it out. I checked my User CP, and my editor was set to "basic editor" instead of "standard editor", and the basic editor is missing the disable smilies option. However, I like the basic editor as it doesn't bog down the browser with all those animated smilies, so I guess my request has now changed: please put the Disable Smilies option back into the basic editor! I'm fairly positive it was there before the redesign.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Feb 17, 2007 at 01:09 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 01:36 AM

re: spacing

i have my monitor about an arm and 1/2 away from + me having semi bad eye sight = me enlarging my font for easier reading

-a

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
re: spacing

i have my monitor about an arm and 1/2 away from + me having semi bad eye sight = me enlarging my font for easier reading

-a
No, I was referring to the fact that there's some vertical space between all the other checkboxes, but not between the "Disable smilies" checkbox and the one above it. Now that I changed my editor over to Standard Editor, I'm seeing the same thing too (along with a lot of really annoying animated smileys), whether using enlarged fonts or not. It looks to be a bug in the new theme.

Forum Links
Forum Rules