Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Uninstall OS 9 Classic on 17" PB

Uninstall OS 9 Classic on 17" PB
tritonus
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 07:44 AM

Dumb Switcher question:

How do I best uninstall OS 9 Classic. I don't need Classic, I prefer an OS X-only machine.

My guesses:
a) delete OS 9 folders in Finder
b) format machine, reinstall OS X from DVD
c) ?

Thanks for your advice.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Parky
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 02:12 PM

The best option is (b), rebuild the machine from the DVD installing OS X only.
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by tritonus:
Dumb Switcher question:

How do I best uninstall OS 9 Classic. I don't need Classic, I prefer an OS X-only machine.

My guesses:
a) delete OS 9 folders in Finder
b) format machine, reinstall OS X from DVD
c) ?

Thanks for your advice.
Obviously, option "b" is the ideal situation, but you can do option "a" as well if you don't want to format the machine. By the way, I believe there's a folder called "My documents" or some such thing that is for MacOS 9. Just make sure it doesn't have anything you want to keep in it. I assume you have no installers that require MacOS 9? Some older apps require MacOS 9 to install and then have a patch for OS X.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2003, 03:50 PM

Since OS 9 is completely self-contained in the System Folder, it's as easy as removing that folder (and the Documents and Applications (OS 9) folders if you want... these are both OS 9 specific) from the root level of your hard disk. There is really no need to wipe and do a restore off the CD. Since the Finder won't let you do it by dragging them to the trash, you'll just have to do it manually. In case you don't know how to do this:

1. Open Terminal
2. Type "sudo rm -rf " (note space after -rf) but DO NOT press return
3. Select and drag those three folders into the Terminal window
4. Press return and and enter your password

Easy!

Be careful with the sudo rm -rf command. It has the power to delete any folder without any warning whatsoever. Even your OS X system folder! So make sure you know what you're doing before you delete anything! I take no responsibility for anything you may accidentally delete by using this method.

Hope this helps!

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by spaced:
Since OS 9 is completely self-contained in the System Folder, it's as easy as removing that folder (and the Documents and Applications (OS 9) folders if you want... these are both OS 9 specific) from the root level of your hard disk. There is really no need to wipe and do a restore off the CD. Since the Finder won't let you do it by dragging them to the trash, you'll just have to do it manually. In case you don't know how to do this:

1. Open Terminal
2. Type "sudo rm -rf " (note space after -rf) but DO NOT press return
3. Select and drag those three folders into the Terminal window
4. Press return and and enter your password

Easy!

Be careful with the sudo rm -rf command. It has the power to delete any folder without any warning whatsoever. Even your OS X system folder! So make sure you know what you're doing before you delete anything! I take no responsibility for anything you may accidentally delete by using this method.

Hope this helps!
Thank you, excellent help!
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

tritonus  (op)
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:
Obviously, option "b" is the ideal situation
That's what I just did.
SwitCHerland, Europe

Forum Links
Forum Rules