Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > the Deadly eMac!!!!

the Deadly eMac!!!!
kaz7777
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 01:03 PM

MY GIRLFRIENDS EMAC ELECTRICUTED ME. Somehow, the rivets all around the eMac have current running through them. I was trying to move it for her, and Got electricuted. What gives??? She is a switcher from PC, and I was driving force in getting her to go Mac; I feel pretty stupid forcing her to get a computer that is now physically dangerous to operate. She has got 6 monthes left on her 1 year warrenty. I am going to take it into the apple store this weekend. It really irks me though; If I was the sueing kind, apple could really burned on this one. I feel like they owe her big, maybe an upgrade to newer machine or something. This is a BIG snafu on their part. Any Thoughts???

Kaz

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2003, 06:14 PM

is your outlet grounded? Many wall outlets are wired backwards too in places.

Sosa
Senior User
Oct 13, 2003, 06:33 PM

"electricuted" or as it is better known, electrocuted means: (according to Sherlock)

1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity.

Thus kaz7777, it is not possible you were "electricuted' (sic) as you lived to post about it afterwards! Apparently you were electrically shocked by most likely improper grounding of an electrical device, i.e. your eMac.

While it is always possible to be shocked by electronic devices, chances are increased when such devices are not grounded or there is faulty wiring discharging electrical current, or when attempting to disassemble such devices without first unplugging them from their power source.
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

kaz7777  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2003, 07:42 PM

Despite my inadequacies when it comes to spelling, The outlets are grounded.

Originally posted by Sosa:
"electricuted" or as it is better known, electrocuted means: (according to Sherlock)

1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity.

Thus kaz7777, it is not possible you were "electricuted' (sic) as you lived to post about it afterwards! Apparently you were electrically shocked by most likely improper grounding of an electrical device, i.e. your eMac.

While it is always possible to be shocked by electronic devices, chances are increased when such devices are not grounded or there is faulty wiring discharging electrical current, or when attempting to disassemble such devices without first unplugging them from their power source.

joe
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by kaz7777:
Despite my inadequacies when it comes to spelling, The outlets are grounded.

I've run into a problem where an outlet was properly grounded but the hot and nuetral were reversed. I didn't get electrocuted since I wasn't touching anything metal. But the stereo hummed quite a lot until I rewired it. If you've already tested the outlet and know it's wired properly then just ignore the rest of my post.

There are cheap plug-in type testers you can get at Home Depot or Lowes in case you're not handy with a DVM. They're generally slightly larger than a 3 prong -> 2 prong adapter and have 3 LEDs on them. They also have a sticker on the back that explains the error codes (revered, open neutral, etc). You just plug them into any active 3 prong outlet and you get the results immediately. If the problem is the eMac you're well within the warranty period to have it fixed for free. Good luck whatever it turns out to be. regards....joe

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 15, 2003, 05:29 PM

*looks at his eMac* *runs away*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 15, 2003, 11:24 PM

The screws on the eMac are only grounded. If you're getting shocked from them, it means that the outlet is DANGEROUSLY miswired!

Go and get an outlet tester, and when it tells you it's faulty, get an electrician to fix it (and test the remaining outlets in the house).

tooki

Link
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 03:35 AM

Simple? Grab an outlet tester, test it. If it shows a problem, go to circuit breaker, turn off power to house (just if you're really unsure.. everything)

Now plug something in and test. Nothing? Should be rather safe... don't take my word for it.. but be careful anyway.

Take the new outlet and note the wiring,. black to black, white to white, etc. start with the grounding wire, transfer that to the new outlet, then transfer the other 2 one by one (this way you lessen the chance of accidentally having 2 wires in your hand at the same time.. even if the power is off.. extra safety precaution).

Switch those over, screw the outlet into the wall, try power.. test it with the tester, and if all's well that's a $1 fix.

Just.. be careful. If you don't trust your own skills at using a screwdriver then call an electrician
Aloha

Forum Links
Forum Rules