Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail Account Conundrum

Mail Account Conundrum
ferg
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2011, 05:07 PM

Just recently I have been getting a password error from one of my pop email accounts. I have not changed any settings, and it has been receiving mail fine for ages, I even set up the account again and still no dice.

I can send via the SMTP server though and my other POP account receives fine.

I tried the webmail access for the ISP that provides the account and I cannot log into that either. Here is the kicker, the account works fine on my MBP, iPad and iPhone. I have contacted the ISp and there are no apparent issues.

I set up the account in Outlook and still no dice.

The only thing I can think that could be causing it, is an edit to the hosts file I had to make a week ago to access a client's dev server. I have since reverted that change and there is no difference. the only other problem I seem to be having is my development site on my MAMP server is not accessible through the browser at localhost suddenly, giving me a too many redirects error, but that could just be MAMP bugging out, I don't see how the two could be related. Otherwise the computer and all its networking(Time Capsule access, TwonkyMedia server, browsing, online gaming, etc) is running fine. It is a small problem, but driving me mad.

Running an iMac with 10.6.8, wracking my brains as to what I could have done to cause this and how I can fix it! Any ideas would be most welcome.

ibook_steve
Aug 23, 2011, 05:56 PM

If you can log in OK on a different machine, why don't you just try resetting the password and trying again on the problem machine?

If webmail works on one machine and not on another, something is messed up with the account itself or there is something wrong with your web browser. Have you tried a different browser? Emptied this browser's cache?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2011, 07:14 PM

Webmail works on all machines except the imac(just like the POP client), it seems the password is not being validated or something from just the one machine, I dont think resetting the password would make a difference. Webmail also returns an error in FF and Chrome on the imac. I have cleared all caches.

I will try setting up a new user on this imac and seeing if that works, although, I am not sure it would get me closer to a solution,just rule one thing out.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2011, 07:52 PM

Do you happen to have "Hands Off!" or "Little Snitch" or some other firewall running on just that iMac? Any other config differences regarding software?

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2011, 07:58 PM

Have you checked the smtp settings carefully -- port and encryption in particular?

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2011, 08:04 PM

Didn't look too closely at SMTP as I can send emails through that server fine. I can ping the server(mail server and webmail).

Booted in safe mode and same issue.

Had little snitch a while ago but I uninstalled it(over a year ago)

Cold Warrior
Aug 23, 2011, 09:40 PM

OK, I misread it as an smtp problem, I see now it's for pop.

On the machines it does work on, does webmail also work on those machines?

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2011, 04:16 PM

It seems there was a problem with the password, the ISP reset it and it seems to work fine now. No idea why it continued to work on the other machines. Puzzling indeed. Thanks for your help!

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ferg View Post
It seems there was a problem with the password, the ISP reset it and it seems to work fine now. No idea why it continued to work on the other machines. Puzzling indeed. Thanks for your help!
You probably had a cookie saved on those other machines.

ferg  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2011, 09:51 PM

Good point. I flushed everything on the iMac trying to sort out the mamp " too many redirects" error for the local host. Thats about when it started.

Forum Links
Forum Rules