Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where do the paint flakers live?

Where do the paint flakers live?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2003, 11:34 AM

Just wondering where the TiBook owners with flaking paint live.

I note that down in the humid hot climes, paint in general flakes a lot more than up here in Canada. I wonder if this is at all related to the TiBook paint flaking on older units.

My hasn't flaked, but then again I've only had it since December.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 11:44 AM

Eug,

While asking this question, you might want to also ask that respondents note which of the four generations of TiBook they use. They do differ in the finish.

You could even use a number code, if that's easier:

#1 Rev.A : 400MHz/500Mhz
#2 Rev.B : 550MHz/667MHz VGA (regardless of optical drive type)
#3 Rev.C : 667MHz/800MHz DVI
#4 Rev.D : 867MHz/1GHz

While I'm here, the summers in Japan are brutally hot & humid and I rarely use A/C. Even so, the finish on my Rev.A TiBook is fine.

Other trivia...I haven't heard of an owner of #4 (Rev.D) with a paint problem yet. It also didn't seem to affect #1 (Rev.A) units either, or it was rare. I suspect most people who have experienced this will own #2 (Rev.B) or #3 (Rev.C) units.

euphras
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 11:53 AM

Rev. C 667/may 2002 (9 months)/ Germany / until now no paint issues (related to "peeling")

Pat
( Last edited by euphras; Jan 29, 2003 at 12:56 PM. )

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 12:19 PM

Rev C / Cincinnati, OH / Started peeling about 3 months after purcahse

Goes to Apple this week to get fixed.

Jean-Loup
Jan 29, 2003, 12:25 PM

Rev C 800 (1 month)/ Montreal, Canada. No flacking here although this is a new computer. It was a demo unit though so it was on in the store for about 3 weeks before I bought it. I guess it's been used in all about a month.

Vanquish
Jan 29, 2003, 12:38 PM

Rev D / 1 month and a few days / Belgium, Europe / no problems, perfect Titanium skin

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 02:33 PM

I did notice when I compared the loaner machine (a Rev C 667MHz model - with some paint pealing off) with my Rev D machine (1GHz Superdrive) that the rim around the edges did look diffrent.

The edges on the newer machine (i.e. Rev D) has a "whiter", less metallic, color compared to the Rev C model.

Perhaps this is a way for Apple to deal with the paint pealing off? Since the Rev D models are so new yet I asume it'll take a while before we can hear a verdict, but if they've changed paint maybe we might not hear anything at all. Who knows!
/Petra

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2003, 02:47 PM

I've had three TiBooks.
RevA400 No Flaking. Paint still perfect after 2 years
RevB667 Flaking bad.
RevD1GZ No probs yet.

I live in Detroit. Hot and humid in the summer and cold and dry in the winter. Air conditioned most of the time though.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

SuperGroove
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 02:54 PM

My dorm room is VERY humid. I recently had to move out because mold grew on the walls while I was on break. The mold was due to steam entering my room and lingering.

Well anyways, it's bubbling on the outer part(white border). Now that I've an external keyboard, I see that not happening as much.

Oily hands are bad for TiBooks, mmmkay

edit: I live in Boulder, and I've a 667DVI.
Please could you stay awhile to share my grief, for its such a lovely day to have to always feel this way.
-Portishead

butter71
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 03:49 PM

rev a 500 / northern california / no problems

rev c 800 / northern california / no problems

i have a friend with a rev b 550 that had a few problems here and then it got much worse when he moved to mexico.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2003, 04:31 PM

rev c 800 DVI Bay Area, CA
i had my laptop since oct 2002 & there are no flaking & still new as ever...
( Last edited by RMXO; Jan 29, 2003 at 07:52 PM. )
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2003, 04:41 PM

Northern California - nice and arid, perfect climate. No chipping. Anyone here from Houston or Atlanta care to share?

Burn
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2003, 06:56 PM

Rev B - West Coast Canada. Minimal flaking on the Carbon Fibre chassis.

Why are people who have machines that are not flaking responding? I guess english isn't everyone'e first language.

torifile
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 07:10 PM

Rev. B. 10 months. Some chipping/flaking since about 3 months in. Got it replaced about 4 months ago and it's started again.

I live in North Carolina and my hands get a little sweaty when I got hot. :/

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 07:49 PM

RevA 500 - Northern CA, major flakes around the hinge and some small ones on the corners - about 2 years old

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2003, 08:39 PM

Rev.C : 667MHz DVI/ Texas/ since Oct.2002/ no paint chip or flaking so far.

P.S. People without paint flaking also respond to give an overall viewpoint.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2003, 08:45 PM

Rev. B. New England coast. It showed some flaking and bubbly paint on the carbon fiber parts at 12 months. But I still love it!

caseygittings
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2003, 09:05 PM

No flaking here in 15 degree baltimore. I have a Rev.D /1ghz and no problems as of yet. i did notice however there is a little bit of shiny silver showing on the left side of the right hinge from the inside this maybe that it was not hit with paint from the factory.
Casey Gittings

nycdunz
Senior User
Jan 29, 2003, 11:53 PM

houston tx here, rev c 667 dvi powerbook got last may, started noticing bubbling on da left hand side on the outer edge white part, its starting to bubble there...

n_lim
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 12:50 AM

rev. b 667/ nyc/ one of the rare rev. b's with no flaking it seems

Rick the Chemist
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 12:52 AM

Rev A. 400. NO flaking whatsoever. I bet the paint is frozen on the way that it's been cold around here.

My location, listed <---.

Cheers,

RtC
EnvyNews Mac Reporter, and loving it...
EnvyNews : Quality Gadgets for Hardware Zealots

Cellery
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2003, 04:22 AM

Chicago, IL- Rev. B 667, flaking everywhere the light paint is, including the hinges, the border around the middle of the machine, and around the vents and optical drive/PCMCIA slots. On the other hand, the 1GHz TiBook is still flake-free and looking great next to its shoddily produced brother.

tiborg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2003, 11:52 PM

Rev.B 550 bought in November 2001, started flaking all along the carbon after about 6 months in Tokyo.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 12:04 AM

Rev C 667 (DVI), bought in May 2002, started flaking above the optical drive after about six months of use in Massachusetts. Apart from that spot, no problem. Went back to Apple earlier this month, it looks like they replaced the bottom of the case as well as the frame. Looks as good as new and I hope it stays this way...

superfoo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2003, 12:11 AM

Phoenix AZ, I have an 867MHz - no flaking or bubbling at all... I also have 3 co-workers who have PBs; two with 667MHz DVI models, and another with a rev. A 500MHz... none of these guys have any paint problems either...

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2003, 03:51 AM

550/Southern California/Dec 2001 Purchase

I've noticed some flaking near the upper edge of the optical drive, but I would personally account that more to the living hell I've put this 'Book through.

I personally do not see the peeling as a defect, I see the machine's continued stability as the true defining feature.

Mr Ti
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2003, 09:57 AM

Rev B, 10 months heavy mobile use, and more peeled than a satuma in a juice factory.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2003, 10:09 AM

PB 800 and PB 500 on the same place loosing paint.
between computer and screen. We also have an other PB so I just replaced the part that is loosing paint. Now everything works perfectly.

Stupid paint problems. Apple should have released it without paint. Finger prints is less annoying than paint/no paint...

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2003, 12:07 AM

Rev. C 667 DVI. Paint started bubbling and chipping after about five months of use, in dry climate of mountains of Colorado. It's getting continually worse. At 10 months now, preparing to return it to Apple for warranty repair before it's too late.

hughs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2003, 09:48 AM

Rev C. Started chipping about a week after I received it. Getting bad where my left wrist rests. Also bubbling a little where my right wrist rests. Not happy abou it either. Phoning Apple about it tomorrow to see if they'll replace it.

Is there anyone out there who has managed to get Apple to replace their white plastic border that has paint chips?

Goodbye.

sjdownes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2003, 12:20 PM

Rev A 400. Had it for a little over two years. No flaking at all in hot, humid Atlanta.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 12:27 PM

Like the visa commerical, "Anywhere you want it to be"

Anyway I've owned four PBG4's 500,667,800,1GHZ. Only the 800 had it (Apple fixed after some prodding) and they all lived in the same place under similar conditions.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by Karim:
Like the visa commerical, "Anywhere you want it to be"

Anyway I've owned four PBG4's 500,667,800,1GHZ. Only the 800 had it (Apple fixed after some prodding) and they all lived in the same place under similar conditions.
But how long did you keep each of them?
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 03:01 PM

Glad to see this thread is still alive.

For what it's worth, I've had my GigaBook SD for 3 months now, with no flaking whatsoever. Winter months in Toronto, mostly within a relatively dry house (forced air heating, at ~20-21 Celcius). I guess time will tell...

The reason I originally posted this thread was partially because of my trip to Kauai last year. Everything there seems to corrode beyond belief very quickly, presumably because of the salt, heat, and the humidity.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 04:47 PM

bleah....I'm not buying the 15" until the paint is completely done away with.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

urrl5201
Mar 17, 2003, 05:06 PM

Ft Laud, Florida, my 667 DVI began flaking at 8 months old, just like my previous 500 Mhz Ti. Got the bezel replaced and got it back with a broken USB port. Got it back again with a hideous scratch on the top of the lid, like someone worked on it with a Ti screw under it. Got it back the 5th time like new AND PROMPTLY SOLD IT. Now I miss it... then decided 17" or wait for alum 15". We'll see...when I get it I will definitely subscribe to Juno ISP at $10 per month. Glad it's finally out for Macs!!! Always use it for my PC laptop.

CommonSense
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 11:55 PM

Suburban NJ (toward the NYC side), with a couple of week-long trips to Silicon Valley and a week-long Christmas trip to Greensboro, NC. Revision D GigaBook, now about three months old. Not a single chip, bubble, or anything of the kind. But I tend to baby it.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Patcarla:
But how long did you keep each of them?
Good question! I should have provided that sort of info.

PBG4/500 11 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB
PBG4/667 5 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB
PBG4/800 5 MONTHS - PAINT PEEL
PBG4/1000 4 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB

The PBG4/800 developed problems quickly, I mean in weeks, not months. I didn't get it fixed until prior to selling. It showed heaving bubbling along the outer keyboard bezel and paint chipping around the edge of the bezel and paint scrapes on the left screen hinge.

No similar issues with the other three.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by hughs:
Rev C. Started chipping about a week after I received it. Getting bad where my left wrist rests. Also bubbling a little where my right wrist rests. Not happy abou it either. Phoning Apple about it tomorrow to see if they'll replace it.

Is there anyone out there who has managed to get Apple to replace their white plastic border that has paint chips?

Goodbye.
Yeah, me. Rev. C, 667. Bought June 2002, paint chips (very small) started appearing January 2003, on the white frame. Talked to Apple, sent for local repair, turnover time of 18 hours, got it back, realized serial number tag is missing. Called back the local store, too late. Top and bottom frame replaced, and that stupid creaking sound when I rested my palms was gone.

It was a free repair, and explanation was recorded as "Customer Satisfaction" on the job sheet.

Montreal is very humid, all year around. We also have three seasons, autumn, winter and summer, of those winter lasts a good five months. But most places are A/C or Central Heating.

FWIW, one of the things the Apple rep asked on the phone was "Do you take your wrist watch off while typing?". Yes, I do.

Rev.C and D model owners: make sure you get your serial number tag (which is inside the battery compartment) back when you get your top case replaced.

Karim
Senior User
Mar 18, 2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by Musti:
Rev.C and D model owners: make sure you get your serial number tag (which is inside the battery compartment) back when you get your top case replaced.
When my 800 had the paint problems they were on the outer keyboard bezel (the whitish part) and it was replaced.

Even if you don't get your serial # label back, your serial # is still available through Apple System Profiler as a last resort.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Karim:
Good question! I should have provided that sort of info.

PBG4/500 11 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB
PBG4/667 5 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB
PBG4/800 5 MONTHS - PAINT PEEL
PBG4/1000 4 MONTHS - NO PAINT PROB

The PBG4/800 developed problems quickly, I mean in weeks, not months. I didn't get it fixed until prior to selling. It showed heaving bubbling along the outer keyboard bezel and paint chipping around the edge of the bezel and paint scrapes on the left screen hinge.

No similar issues with the other three.
Thanks for the answer. A friend of mine had the same problems with her 667 (DVI), started bubbling and peeling off within weeks!! Even the case was bent!! When I saw that, I was shocked!! The paint process seems definitely improved in the latest Tibook version (mine..) Got it since 2 month now, so far, so good...

Macrat
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 11:01 AM

Rev.C 667 DVI, ordered the day they were announced. Only some very small microscopic flaking right now, it hardly ever leaves my desk. It's pretty humid in Houston, but my Ti stays inside with the ac on. What a baby it is.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Macrat:
Rev.C 667 DVI, ordered the day they were announced. Only some very small microscopic flaking right now, it hardly ever leaves my desk. It's pretty humid in Houston, but my Ti stays inside with the ac on. What a baby it is.
Yes indeed. I guess that some batch were more well finished than others...

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2003, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Rev C / Cincinnati, OH / Started peeling about 3 months after purcahse

Goes to Apple this week to get fixed.
1. How did you convince apple to fix it?
2. Are they simply going to 'fix' it, or are they giving you a new one?

Forum Links
Forum Rules