Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Surround Sound software

Surround Sound software
Jbroad572
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2004, 12:31 PM

Is there any for Mac? I have seen several for PC users. This would be great if they did. Please share the info, if there is any.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 05:52 PM

I don't quite know what you mean by "surround sound software." I can only assume you mean software that uses surround sound.

First of all, for surround sound software to be any good, I would imagine you'd first need some surround sound hardware.

The G5 towers have an optical S/PDIF out, and you can buy cards (PCI for towers, or FireWire/USB ones for 'Books) that have analogue surround sound and/or S/PDIF digital outs on them. M-Audio is a popular maker of such devices.

As for software that actually uses >2 channel sound, I think the Panther DVD player does... maybe a game or two, but not very many support it, if any do at all. AFAIK, there's no standard/easy way to do it on Mac, so support is somewhat limited.

I hope that answers you question...
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Jbroad572  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2004, 12:36 AM

I have and try many players like winamp5 pro(+plug-in), jetaudio 6 Premiere ... and so on, but Cyberlink PowerDVD XP 5 Deluxe specialy with headphones pleased me the most.

Here is the modes of PowerDVD for headphones:
- Stereo
- Dolby surround compatible Down mix (great with DJ stuff)
- Dolby hd
- TruSurroundXT hd
- CyberLink hd

and with this audio channel expander
- CLMEI
- Dolby Pro Logic II

I meant a software program with such features as those, especially for headphones. I would kill (not literally) for something like that for Apple.
17" Apple Powerbook 1.33ghz

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Feb 8, 2004, 04:05 AM

I wish FCP would allow you to mix in 5.1 or any other surround matrix. Kind of frustrating to have 5.1 capability built into DVD Studio Pro for authoring, but not be able to use FCP to actually CREATE 5.1 files.

* sigh *

Forum Links
Forum Rules