Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google I/O 2015

Google I/O 2015 (Page 2)
starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I just want to understand the brand loyalty thing. Why do people feel emotionally attached to their Macs? They are neither rare nor underdoggy any longer. Are people emotionally attached to Walmart and Target?
Because they work and get the job done better than any other device. Consistently. For 30 years.
It's also the Apple philosophy.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
I provide criticism about Apple on an Apple site and criticize Android on an Android site, because doing the opposite is pointless (and possibly even counterproductive). Being a critic is a service, and a valuable one at that, it isn't about winning popularity contests. Interestingly enough, xda members seem to understand this much more readily than many people here, probably because of the (mostly) open nature of Android OS.
You weren't critical. You pulled an article out of your ass that had nothing to do with the topic at all.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Let's not get carried away with one's self-worth here. I find you to be contrarian fairly often and I have hard time believing that you don't enjoy doing it.
This.

So. Much. This.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
This.

So. Much. This.
Don't get too high and mighty. You're incredibly sanctimonious and incredulous about differences of opinion on even minor topics.

---

Anybody else want an eval?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 11:56 AM

Don't get too high and mighty. You're incredibly sanctimonious and incredulous about differences of opinion on even minor topics.

---

I disagree

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2015, 12:38 PM

reported.

lol
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 1, 2015, 02:36 PM

Because they work and get the job done better than any other device. Consistently. For 30 years.
"The job", being a narrow set of parameters that change depending on the Mac's current strengths, of course.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 1, 2015, 02:37 PM

Do me! Do me!
Why does everyone here hate me?? :-(

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 04:12 PM

So why do you need to defend Apple when somebody criticizes it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2015, 04:16 PM

Why do you have to question someone when they don't conform to your behavioral morals?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Do me! Do me!
Why does everyone here hate me?? :-(
Shit-stirring, internet detective sniper.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 05:25 PM

Why do you have to question someone when they don't conform to your behavioral morals?
It's not a right or wrong thing, nor a judgment thing. I would just like to understand this sort of perspective.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 05:41 PM

"The job", being a narrow set of parameters that change depending on the Mac's current strengths, of course.
Let's reverse that.

What CAN'T it do?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 05:42 PM

On an Apple message board?

GEE WHIZ LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 06:16 PM

On an Apple message board?

GEE WHIZ LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT.

Please do, because it isn't as obvious as you think. Who cares if somebody has critical comments of Apple?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 06:17 PM

Let's reverse that.

What CAN'T it do?
Seriously? You really think that there are no tasks that the Mac doesn't excel at? Sure, in a number of these cases this is simply because certain software doesn't happen to be available for the Mac, but still, it counts.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 1, 2015, 06:35 PM

Seriously? You really think that there are no tasks that the Mac doesn't excel at? Sure, in a number of these cases this is simply because certain software doesn't happen to be available for the Mac, but still, it counts.

Did you misread?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2015, 06:45 PM

It's not about the contradiction, its about the misrepresentation.
Huh?

Nope, but your contrarian style sure can be.
That's generally reserved for PWL, which shouldn't be compared to general lounge conversations.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2015, 06:47 PM

You weren't critical. You pulled an article out of your ass that had nothing to do with the topic at all.
It had nothing to do with trust and security? There's no way you're being serious right now.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2015, 06:49 PM

Please do, because it isn't as obvious as you think. Who cares if somebody has critical comments of Apple?
Cheerleaders and fanboys.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 03:09 AM

It had nothing to do with trust and security? There's no way you're being serious right now.
Not directly related to the article, no. What Apple does as a business has no direct bearing on my pictures in iCloud.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 04:57 AM

Teah... I'm not seeing how that doesn't fit this situation... Again, they sold out the security of all of their Chinese users without even batting an eye.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 06:59 AM

What CAN'T it do?
OS X : Many games.
OS X : Latest version of Excel.
iMacs : Add RAM/Upgrade graphics card/change disk at a later date in some hardware.
iOS : Allow addition of a SD card in phones.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
iMacs : Add RAM/Upgrade graphics card/change disk at a later date in some hardware.
Annnnnnnnnnnd......here we go again!

Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2015, 09:04 AM

Next thing we know, they'll be bankrupt.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Next thing we know, they'll be bankrupt.

What are we actually talking about here?

OS X/Apple doesn't do a lot of things, some of which mattyb has listed, but computing is a large enough space that no one platform needs to do everything in the first place.

The bottom line is Apple, like any other company, makes mistakes, and there needs to be pushback against these mistakes just like there should be for any company, especially the really large ones. Apple is long past its days where it benefited from a small loyal base of evangelists defending their mistakes or casting them in a certain light. Apple can deal with some very heavy criticism and weather it fine, it is not a fragile or frail company.

So, if somebody wants to trash Apple, who cares? You can agree or disagree, but you don't have to rush to Apple's defence. You can disagree without this being some sort of attack on your personal identity or making this some sort of personal affair like it seems to often feel like here.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
That's not a limitation of OS X itself, is it?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 01:03 PM

If anyone defends Apple, Google, or any other corporation the same way they would blindly defend their own family, then there's a serious problem with how they interpret their relationship with said companies.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2015, 03:17 PM

Games can be made for OS X, but they're not natively. OS X can support flexible and expandable hardware, but that's not the direction Apple is moving. MS Office is the de facto standard for business whether we like it or not. If 95% of businesses use it on Windows and something you've created on your Mac version of Office doesn't line up, it's your fault not theirs.

Whether or not these are specific limitations of OS X is irrelevant. When you buy a Mac, that's what you get. I thought most of us had moved past the petty Mac vs. PC and iOS vs. Android arguments but clearly that's not the case.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 03:45 PM

How is Linux limited?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
If anyone defends Apple, Google, or any other corporation the same way they would blindly defend their own family, then there's a serious problem with how they interpret their relationship with said companies.

Exactly.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2015, 04:07 PM

Games can be made for OS X, but they're not natively. OS X can support flexible and expandable hardware, but that's not the direction Apple is moving. MS Office is the de facto standard for business whether we like it or not. If 95% of businesses use it on Windows and something you've created on your Mac version of Office doesn't line up, it's your fault not theirs.

Whether or not these are specific limitations of OS X is irrelevant. When you buy a Mac, that's what you get. I thought most of us had moved past the petty Mac vs. PC and iOS vs. Android arguments but clearly that's not the case.

Agreed.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 04:27 PM

These companies provide products and services, if they're providing actual happiness... well, you have some issues to take care of.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2015, 04:42 PM

These companies provide products and services, if they're providing actual happiness... well, you have some issues to take care of.
Using a well designed tool can be a perfect source of happiness. I am happy every time I use my favourite chef's knife. I am happy every time I reach for one of my antique copper pans. I am happy every time I use my favorite camera, or drive an old Land Rover. Those are all things, but using them gives me pleasure. Same with a well designed laptop, phone or tablet.

You buy cars. If those purchases don't make you happy, just send the cash to me.

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2015, 05:43 PM

If 95% of businesses use it on Windows and something you've created on your Mac version of Office doesn't line up, it's your fault not theirs.
The next version of Office will be based off of a common code base for all platforms, Windows, OS X, Android and iOS. That means from the release on, there'll be feature parity across all platforms and this will be a non-issue.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Jun 2, 2015, 06:07 PM

but you'd trust Apple, who sold out all their Chinese customers to their gov't and bent over for them without even a whimper?
Maybe they did, but that article barely even alleges it. Show the source code? Most of it is open source anyway, as it's part of Darwin - and security by obscurity is a terrible policy anyway. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the NSA has had a peek. Show encryption keys? Highly unlikely, but even so, that doesn't give the Chinese your data. Remember when various US government figures were pissed about Apple's device encryption? Would they be pissed if they could have their secret court order Apple to decrypt it? No, they wouldn't. Apple designed iOS 8 to deliberately remove that possibility, which is why said US spooks were pissed about it. And install backdoors? Wouldn't those be pretty obvious to anyone else who wants to peek at the source code, like, say, the NSA? And even if they kept quiet, the world is full of security researchers doing nothing but looking for such things.

No. China would love to be able to hack encryptions (remember that India seriously tried to ban Blackberry because they couldn't crack their code?), but they're not stupid enough to ask for encryption keys and backdoors. They're worried that software from US companies include backdoors that the NSA put there and security holes that the NSA knows about, mostly because Snowden alleged it, and we have enough circumstantial evidence to show that NSA knew about the goto fail bug and didn't tell Apple. China wants to audit the code, and Apple is apparently fine with it. I guess they figure that that will make the NSA more likely to tell them about bugs they find, to make sure that the Chinese don't use them.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Using a well designed tool can be a perfect source of happiness. I am happy every time I use my favourite chef's knife. I am happy every time I reach for one of my antique copper pans. I am happy every time I use my favorite camera, or drive an old Land Rover. Those are all things, but using them gives me pleasure. Same with a well designed laptop, phone or tablet.

You buy cars. If those purchases don't make you happy, just send the cash to me.
Driving the cars makes me happy, the car companies; Ferrari, Porsche, etc. don't. They're business associates, not family or friends.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2015, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Maybe they did, but that article barely even alleges it. Show the source code? Most of it is open source anyway, as it's part of Darwin - and security by obscurity is a terrible policy anyway. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the NSA has had a peek. Show encryption keys? Highly unlikely, but even so, that doesn't give the Chinese your data. Remember when various US government figures were pissed about Apple's device encryption? Would they be pissed if they could have their secret court order Apple to decrypt it? No, they wouldn't. Apple designed iOS 8 to deliberately remove that possibility, which is why said US spooks were pissed about it. And install backdoors? Wouldn't those be pretty obvious to anyone else who wants to peek at the source code, like, say, the NSA? And even if they kept quiet, the world is full of security researchers doing nothing but looking for such things.

No. China would love to be able to hack encryptions (remember that India seriously tried to ban Blackberry because they couldn't crack their code?), but they're not stupid enough to ask for encryption keys and backdoors. They're worried that software from US companies include backdoors that the NSA put there and security holes that the NSA knows about, mostly because Snowden alleged it, and we have enough circumstantial evidence to show that NSA knew about the goto fail bug and didn't tell Apple. China wants to audit the code, and Apple is apparently fine with it. I guess they figure that that will make the NSA more likely to tell them about bugs they find, to make sure that the Chinese don't use them.
They handed over the keys without even a fight, that's pretty weak (and pathetic).

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2015, 09:52 AM

What if said company provided "favors", women (or men), alcohol and drugs? That makes a difference, right? I mean, right?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
What if said company provided "favors", women (or men), alcohol and drugs? That makes a difference, right? I mean, right?
Except of course they did no such thing.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2015, 09:58 AM

Of course.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2015, 11:33 AM

And then Tim Cook said this:

""Like many of you, we at Apple reject the idea that our customers should have to make tradeoffs between privacy and security," Cook opened. "We can, and we must provide both in equal measure. We believe that people have a fundamental right to privacy. The American people demands it, the constitution demands it, morality demands it."

I'm sure Tightpants will say he's lying....or something.
( Last edited by starman; Jun 3, 2015 at 12:56 PM. )

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I believe this belongs in the FIFA thread.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2015, 12:05 PM

And then Tim Cook said this:

""Like many of you, we at Apple reject the idea that our customers should have to make tradeoffs between privacy and security," Cook opened. "We can, and we must provide both in equal measure. We believe that people have a fundamental right to privacy. The American people demands it, the constitution demands it, morality demands it."

I'm cure Tightpants will say he's lying....or something.
Apple offered up information to the government too.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2015, 12:57 PM

And since we don't know the circumstances, let's just assume the worst, right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 01:00 PM

And since we don't know the circumstances, let's just assume the worst, right?
Considering the governments track record? Yes.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2015, 01:22 PM

Considering the governments track record? Yes.
Maybe you were one of them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 01:23 PM

One of what?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2015, 01:33 PM

One of what?
One of the people Apple give information on. I mean, if you're going to accuse Apple, who has said multiple times that privacy is important, and you're being flippant about 1000 people, then maybe you're one of the 1000.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 3, 2015, 01:37 PM

Ok?

Forum Links
Forum Rules