Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Mel Gibson: Anti-Semite

Mel Gibson: Anti-Semite (Page 2)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell
How can someone possibly provoke those kinds of comments? I don't believe those kinds of comments could ever come out of most people's mouths, no matter what happened. Nothing can "provoke" those kinds of comments. They're either in you or they're not.

And he wasn't even that drunk. His BAC was .12, which is maybe 4 beers. That's not out-of-control drunk.

Eh, it's probably a publicity stunt for his new movie.
The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I agree with you in that nothing could possibly provoke those comments out of the clear blue like that. In order for someone to say that, they'd have to be walking/driving around all the time, thinking, "Man, I hate Jews. Jews SUCK! Filthy Jews!"

Mel might be a little twitchy, but I seriously doubt that he sits around all day thinking about all the reasons that he dislikes Jews.

Something seems fishy about the whole thing, but evidently he confessed to it - which makes it really weird.

Publicity stunt extraordinaire.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 12:41 PM

There is a reason they call alcohol "spirits"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:01 PM

This reminds me of MJ.

People were suspicious about his anti-Semetism when he said "Jew me" and "k*ke me" in a song. But his PR people deflected the charges and everyone forgot about it.

Then:

"...they're like leeches…I'm so tired of it…They start out the most popular person in the world, make a lot of money, big house, cars and everything. End up penniless. It is a conspiracy. The Jews do it on purpose.""

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 30, 2006, 01:18 PM

Yes the Jews made him molest kids.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
spacefreak: Go to TMZ.com and read the handwritten report.

As far as someone blaming Jews for their problems it's not the first time and it won't be the last and it's well known that Gibson's father, who is a supposedly very devout Catholic, is extremely anti-Semetic. When Passion of the Christ was released his father made similar comments and when Mel Gibson was asked about his personal feelings relative to his father's he maintained that he was not anti-Semetic and that his movie was not intended to be anti-Semetic.

Well, now we all know different.

Mel Gibson is just another loser who blames others' for his own problems.
Well if he made those comments, knowing this from his father could explain why the drunk outburst. He might have picked up lots of that stuff as a kid, I would only call him Anti-Semite if he acted that way sober. Like I said before drunk people are totally different people. 1984 he managed to crash into some one drunk in Toronto so he has hurt some one in the past drinking and driving.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo
http://cdn.digitalcity.com/tmz_docum...ocs_072806.pdf

Could that *be* in lower resolution?? What kind of crap site is the TMZ? Never heard of it, but they sure like to post them low-low res pdfs!

V
looks like it might have come as a fax

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Well if he made those comments, knowing this from his father could explain why the drunk outburst. He might have picked up lots of that stuff as a kid, I would only call him Anti-Semite if he acted that way sober. Like I said before drunk people are totally different people. 1984 he managed to crash into some one drunk in Toronto so he has hurt some one in the past drinking and driving.
If the .12 BAC is correct, he wasn't even drunk. He was technically over the legal limit for driving in most (all?) US states, but 4 beers is not what most people would consider to be really drunk.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy
While we're on the subject of anti-semitism...

Athens: Go have a read of this.
Very good article I like it

New, but not anti-Semitism
Steven Zipperstein, professor of Jewish Culture and History at Stanford University, argues that Jews have a tendency to see the Jewish state as "more vulnerable, less powerful, and less culpable, as victim and not as an actor" because they were very recently themselves "the quintessential victims." He writes that Jews were "all but wiped out" in much of Europe and yet "within the blink of an eye ... became masters of their own state ..." [17] He writes: "We were mostly undefended and overwhelmingly friendless, and this trauma continues to haunt and perhaps at times to distort our sense of the world around us now. When we encounter antagonism — especially outsized, disproportionate antagonism — the memories of horrible times, whether personally experienced or imbibed secondhand, elicit reactions that are often sincere, acute, and disorienting." [18]

Zipperstein writes that, increasingly, a belief in the State of Israel's responsibility for the Arab-Israeli conflict is considered to be "part of what a reasonably informed, progressive, decent person thinks." [19] He argues that a disproportionate criticism of Israel is not the result of new anti-Semitism, or even classical anti-Semitism, but is rather a "by-product of the wildly disproportionate responses that mark the post-September 11 world." [20] Referencing Earl Raab, Zipperstein distinguishes between the phenomena of "anti-Semitism" and "anti-Israelism", arguing that the latter is shaped by "a much distorted, simplistic, but this-worldly political analysis devoid of anti-Jewish bias". He adds that "[s]uch prejudice against Israel is not the same as antisemitism, although undoubtedly the two can and at times do coexist".[17]

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I agree with you in that nothing could possibly provoke those comments out of the clear blue like that. In order for someone to say that, they'd have to be walking/driving around all the time, thinking, "Man, I hate Jews. Jews SUCK! Filthy Jews!"

Mel might be a little twitchy, but I seriously doubt that he sits around all day thinking about all the reasons that he dislikes Jews.

Something seems fishy about the whole thing, but evidently he confessed to it - which makes it really weird.

Publicity stunt extraordinaire.
If his parents used words like that all the time, when mad I can see how it could easily jump out while drunk. When my mom was drunk she would use a lot of language that my Grandpa used all the time.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes the JOOOOOOOOOOOOOS made him molest kids. Aiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!
Fixed.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

HowEver
Jul 30, 2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
He was drunk, drunk people say things they wouldnt when sober. I'm just brushing his comments off.
How are your sigs allowed???

Originally Posted by hey!_Zeus
Didn't the Jews kill Jesus. I guess someone will have to re-write parts of the bible.
Already answered, but gosh! A little education is a dangerous thing. In this case, very little.

Originally Posted by voodoo
Mel Gibson is one of my biggest role-models. He's a cool guy and a good Christian. He is no anti-semite. Some people wish he was apparently

Other role models of mine include Harrison Ford (half-Jewish), Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen (all Jewish).

V
Why not read the Bible, old and new testaments, and then see The Passion of the Christ, and report back to us?

btw, you can like people for what they do, no matter what a prick they are.

It doesn't make them or anyone else less of a prick if they can write a classic song or produce a crappy movie.

Gibson also gave a famous *qualified* apology. He didn't apologize for the specific things he admitted to.

So in this case we have an anti-Semitic prick who made an anti-Semitic movie.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:44 PM

Athens

Well if he made those comments, knowing this from his father could explain why the drunk outburst. He might have picked up lots of that stuff as a kid, I would only call him Anti-Semite if he acted that way sober.
It doesn't matter, Athens.

If someone runs over a kid on a bike because he was legally drunk and the kid was dead, he'll still go to jail even if his argument is, "Well, my dad was a drunk and I learned it from him."

The point is that people are liable for their actions whether drunk or high - or sober.

Had to edit to say to HowEver:

So in this case we have an anti-Semitic prick who made an anti-Semitic movie.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:45 PM

Athens & Mel Gibson = Togetha4Eva?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:55 PM

Athens has a "thing" for SMell Gibson, perhaps?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:56 PM

Athens has a "thing" for SMell Gibson, perhaps?

Ah no, I dont even like the guy, he is a Iraq war supporter and a red neck.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2006, 01:56 PM

If the .12 BAC is correct, he wasn't even drunk.
And that's probably the most interesting fact of all: that it only took a few beers to turn Mel into a raving anti-semite. Whaddya think he's like on a bender?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 01:58 PM

It doesn't matter, Athens.

If someone runs over a kid on a bike because he was legally drunk and the kid was dead, he'll still go to jail even if his argument is, "Well, my dad was a drunk and I learned it from him."

The point is that people are liable for their actions whether drunk or high - or sober.

Had to edit to say to HowEver:

So are we talking about the drunk driving or the words that came out of his mouth? Because the last several posts seem to be related to the Anti Jew comments, not the drunk driving.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:03 PM

saddino

And that's probably the most interesting fact of all: that it only took a few beers to turn Mel into a raving anti-semite. Whaddya think he's like on a bender?
He's like this guy (Link)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:06 PM

I dont follow you

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:07 PM

Do you need flashcards?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Do you need flashcards?
sure, I still dont follow how the Seattle thing relates to Gibson. Was she trying to say he was on his way to some Jewish center to kill people?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:11 PM

If Mel Gibson + 4 beers = Raging anti-semetism, then

Mel Gibson + a night of binge drinking = Deadly anti-semetism

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by HowEver
Why not read the Bible, old and new testaments, and then see The Passion of the Christ, and report back to us?

Why don't you express yourself coherently?

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:17 PM

So what your saying is even before he was pulled over he was a raging Anti-semetism. Bet you it wasen't even a thought on his mind and what came out when he was pulled over was just foul language learned as a kid from his parents and nothing more.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 02:18 PM

Cody,

I love how you jump on the worst version of the news and take it as fact. I've yet to see one reputable source reference an anti-semitic outburst as FACT. His BAC was 1.2 which is legally drunk. Also, they didn't pull him over because he looked drunk, but because he was speeding. Before I crucify Gibson, I like hearing the full story from reputable sources.

ALSO, the Jews did not kill Christ... the masses of people killed christ (or more to the point, did not save christ when Pilate gave them the choice)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 02:20 PM

Yah, someone that's pulled over and arguably says some anti-semitic comments is like someone that commits hate crimes [murder]. Wow Cody... why am I not surprised.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:23 PM

mitchell_pgh:

Is this "Attack Cody Day?"

First of all, it's on EVERY single major newspaper page all over the world. I do take it as "FACT" because HE SAID THOSE THINGS THAT ARE TERRIBLE. Got it? He ADMITTED it. Are you going to now argue that he didn't make an apology - therefore admitting it?

Secondly, I never said that the "Jews killed Christ." (You are inferring that I did with trying to tell ME that the "Jews did not kill Christ.")

*I* am the one who FIRST said (in this thread) that the Jews did not kill Christ.

Go back and re-read and stop making comments about my posts that are not logical.

Oh, and Kerrigan, those are great flash cards.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 02:24 PM

I hope that's a joke...

mitchell_pgh + 4 beers = downloading mp3s

mitchell_pgh + a night of binge drinking = grand theft auto

OKEDOKEY!

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:25 PM

mitchell_pgh:

First of all, it's on EVERY single major newspaper page all over the world. I do take it as "FACT" because HE SAID THOSE THINGS THAT ARE TERRIBLE. Got it? He ADMITTED it. Are you going to now argue that he didn't make an apology - therefore admitting it?

Secondly, I never said that the "Jews killed Christ." (You are inferring that I did with trying to tell ME that the "Jews did not kill Christ.")

*I* am the one who FIRST said (in this thread) that the Jews did not kill Christ.

Go back and re-read and stop making comments about my posts that are not logical.

Ever going to explain what you ment with that post to Seattle?

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:27 PM

No.

If you don't "get it" then there's no use explaining it.

Kerrigan understands (and maybe some others) and since they understand facetious humor that's all that matters.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:29 PM

No.

If you don't "get it" then there's no use explaining it.

Kerrigan understands (and maybe some others) and since they understand facetious humor that's all that matters.
Oh I do get it, your Jewishness has been threatened and now you must totally destroy a man because of it. A little Israel you are?

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2006, 02:37 PM

mitchell_pgh:

nope, you just continue spouting unsubstantiated information as fact.

Ugh... this is where you start weaving fact with what I like to call "Cody facts." I'm not saying he didn't say those things, but ONE website has come out indicating that he said anti-Semitic slurs... and all the other news sources are reporting on that... but they ALL say "alleged" because it's not confirmed (or they say it is fact because they want to spin the news).

"Hollywood gossip website TMZ.com posted four pages of what it alleges is a copy of the police report." <-- that's how all the real news sources are referencing the situation.

I wasn't referencing you at that point in my message... sorry if you misread my comment.

Not logical... how about you stop spreading false information. Again, I'm not saying he did or did not say those things... I simply get tired of you speaking from your moral high ground in regards to alleged activities.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:37 PM

Athens:

Oh I do get it, your Jewishness has been threatened and now you must totally destroy a man because of it. A little Israel you are?
That's either very stupid and/or very funny. Maybe both.

Go back to your mirror, Athens, and have some fun with yourself.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:40 PM

That's either very stupid and/or very funny. Maybe both.

Go back to your mirror, Athens, and have some fun with yourself.

why dont you come back down to earth, I think you are drinking to much again.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:40 PM

mitchell, what the heck are you trying to argue about? or is this something personal between you and cody?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:41 PM

oh that was a good one athens

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:45 PM

Yeah, I'm "drinking" again.

Green tea, that is, since I'm pregnant.

I think I mentioned once that I had had two glasses of wine over four hours (last holiday season) and Athens thinks that that constitutes a drunk.

Oh, and mitchell is on my ignore list because his logic is just so damned weird - I give up.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I'm "drinking" again.

Green tea, that is, since I'm pregnant.

I think I mentioned once that I had had two glasses of wine over four hours (last holiday season) and Athens thinks that that constitutes a drunk.

Oh, and mitchell is on my ignore list because his logic is just so damned weird - I give up.

good memory lol that is what I was thinking of lol. You where pretty tipsy on ichat from those 2 drinks.

And mitchells logic seems fine to me, he made a good point that didnt fit in your warped veiws.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:50 PM

Athens:

You're a good guy. I like you. But...

I was also in a GOOD MOOD from that dinner...I got a $2500 Christmas bonus from a client that I'd done some work for so I was pretty happy that night because I never, ever, expected it. (In fact, until the check cleared I thought it might have been a mistake.)

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 02:51 PM

Athens:

You're a good guy. I like you. But...

I was also in a GOOD MOOD from that dinner...I got a $2500 Christmas bonus from a client that I'd done some work for so I was pretty happy that night because I never, ever, expected it. (In fact, until the check cleared I thought it might have been a mistake.)

you where tipsy

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 06:42 PM

Cody, I did read the report. I still don't see any transcript of the whole conversation.

How can someone possibly provoke those kinds of comments? I don't believe those kinds of comments could ever come out of most people's mouths, no matter what happened. Nothing can "provoke" those kinds of comments. They're either in you or they're not.
What - that "the Jews are responsible for all the world wars?" I hear and read plenty of people voice similar opinions. They have been involved in wars. That does't mean it's racist or anti-semitical. As for the "f---ing jews" thing, I'd really have to hear how it was said to convict the guy. Doesn't sound good, though. But then he asks "Are you a Jew?". Was that asked in a mean way, or was it a genuine question?

I want to know what was said to Mel before he responded. It makes a huge difference to know what was said, and how it was said. There are some recordings of this episode. That's was I want to hear, or at least transcribed before branding the man an anti-semite. Everyone sure as hell wanted to know what was said to Zidane before he attacked an opposing player in the World Cup final, and I want to know here.

And this anti-semite stuff is slung around way too much. I've heard people say much worse about the dreaded "neocons" than what Mel said.

HowEver
Jul 30, 2006, 10:27 PM

No, you're mistaken. These remarks define racism, and they define anti-Semitism. To blame those who suffered the most for the wars that caused them the most suffering is sick.

Read the officer's handwritten transcript.

Originally Posted by spacefreak
Cody, I did read the report. I still don't see any transcript of the whole conversation.

What - that "the Jews are responsible for all the world wars?" I hear and read plenty of people voice similar opinions. They have been involved in wars. That does't mean it's racist or anti-semitical. As for the "f---ing jews" thing, I'd really have to hear how it was said to convict the guy. Doesn't sound good, though. But then he asks "Are you a Jew?". Was that asked in a mean way, or was it a genuine question?

I want to know what was said to Mel before he responded. It makes a huge difference to know what was said, and how it was said. There are some recordings of this episode. That's was I want to hear, or at least transcribed before branding the man an anti-semite. Everyone sure as hell wanted to know what was said to Zidane before he attacked an opposing player in the World Cup final, and I want to know here.

And this anti-semite stuff is slung around way too much. I've heard people say much worse about the dreaded "neocons" than what Mel said.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 07:17 AM

Yes, he did say it and it was way out of line.

I think the guy needs serious help.

Kevin
Baninated
Jul 31, 2006, 07:20 AM

Yes, he did say it and it was way out of line.

I think the guy needs serious help.
He seems to agree what he said was out of line. That is a start.

Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 09:13 AM

Another role model of the right...exposed.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 09:50 AM

^^^I don't think so.^^^

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator
Another role model of the right...exposed.
Nah, just goes to show that Hollywood has kooks on both side of the political spectrum.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 10:16 AM

Update about Mad Mel's behavior and favoritism.

TMZ has learned that Mel Gibson has been stopped for reckless driving two other times in Malibu but he was allowed to leave without a ticket or arrest.

As TMZ first reported, Gibson was arrested on Friday for suspicion of driving under the influence on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu -- driving 87 miles an hour. As we reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered to sanitize his arrest report to make it appear that Gibson's arrest was "without incident." In fact, The report states Gibson was abusive, violent and vulgar, and even attempted to escape.

TMZ has confirmed that approximately three years ago, Gibson was driving 74 miles per hour on Pacific Coast Highway, one mile from his house, when he was pulled over by a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy. Sources say Gibson avoided eye contact with the deputy during the stop and even though the deputy was suspicious of Gibson's sobriety, he let him go.

Approximately one year ago Gibson was stopped again, after driving 64 miles an hour on Pacific Coast Highway -- where the speed limit is 45. Sources say that Gibson was so cocky that he was on his cell phone the entire time he was detained by the deputy. Ultimately, the deputy decided to let him go without giving him a citation.

And there's new information about Friday's arrest. As TMZ reported, the deputy who arrested Gibson was ordered by superiors to re-write his report and eliminate all references to Gibson's bad conduct and anti-Semitic remarks. Sources tell TMZ that Lt. Crystal Miranda told the arresting deputy that Captain Tom Martin talked to Sheriff Lee Baca who expressed concern that the explosive report might leak to the media and that it needed to be re-written in a sanitized form.

Sources say Gibson, who was pulled over early Friday morning for allegedly crossing lanes at a high speed, told the arresting deputy that he was leaving home just after 2 a.m. and heading to his brother's house. The arresting deputy found a bottle of tequila in the car, 3/4 full, in a brown paper bag. We're told that Gibson told the deputy that the bottle wasn't his but, "I've had a little bit."

We're also told that Gibson, who issued a statement over the weekend, suggesting he was not of sound mind when he uttered the anti-Semitic tirade and engaged in abusive behavior, was not in fact "out of it." Sources connected with the case tell TMZ that Gibson was drunk but was in control of his senses. At one point at the Sheriff's station, sources say Gibson was "jumping like a monkey" on a steel cage and told the arresting deputy, "I'm not going to hurt you physically. I'm gonna hurt you. I'm gonna make you lose."

We're also told that deputies at the Sheriff's station were star struck by Gibson and a number of them went to Gibson's holding cell to get a look of the star. The problem for the Sheriff's department -- there's a mounted camera in the station and the deputies can be seen fawning over the actor. Sheriff's officials have called some of the officers who were caught on tape in and warned them they might be subject to discipline.

As TMZ reported, the arresting deputy was ordered by officials to take out references to Gibson's bad behavior. We're told the altered report makes no mention of the fact that Gibson attempted to flee the scene by running to his car to escape. We're also told that the officer checked a box on the report that Gibson was "belligerent." Ironically, even though officials did not order the deputy to remove that reference, they did order him to re-write the report to eliminate all references to the supporting evidence leading the officer to believe Gibson was indeed "belligerent. "
Well, thank goodness for the media...otherwise people would get away with more crap than they do.

That includes Mad Mel.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2006, 10:41 AM

L.A. Times says "Gibson Crossed a Line."

Mel Gibson is rich enough to finance his own movies, including the 2004 blockbuster "The Passion of the Christ" and the upcoming release "Apocalypto." But although riches can buy a certain freedom from creative interference, no man is an island in the movie business.

Gibson, who apologized Saturday for making "despicable" remarks in what was described as an anti-Semitic tirade after a drunk driving arrest, in some ways now finds himself at the mercy of a Hollywood establishment that may or may not be inclined to extend forgiveness.

His most immediate issue is with Walt Disney Co., which is distributing "Apocalypto" and which also, through its ABC television network, has a development deal with his company to make a miniseries about the Holocaust.

Several prominent critics of "The Passion" have stepped forward to suggest that Gibson, who denied there was an anti-Semitic undercurrent in his movie about the last hours of Christ's life, has now shown his true colors.

"Mel Gibson's apology is unremorseful and insufficient," said Abraham H. Foxman, the national director of the Anti-Defamation League, who added: "His tirade finally reveals his true self and shows that his protestations during the debate over his film 'The Passion of the Christ,' that he is such a tolerant, loving person, were a sham."

Foxman called on Hollywood executives to "realize the bigot in their midst" and "distance themselves from this anti-Semite."

Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, urged Gibson to drop the Holocaust project, saying it would be "inappropriate."

Gibson's spokesman declined to respond.

Disney executives would not comment Sunday about the future of either project, but the company has shied from controversy before, most notably when then-Chairman Michael Eisner declined to release Michael Moore's anti-President Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11." That ultimately found another distributor, but Hollywood's shrinking landscape of such unaffiliated companies makes it increasingly difficult for filmmakers to go the non-corporate route.

Ordinarily, Hollywood distribution deals call for the studio to handle marketing for the movie — a potentially difficult proposition given Gibson's arrest in Malibu and the ensuing controversy about remarks he allegedly made, including: "The Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world."

Even without that complication, "Apocalypto," set for a Dec. 8 release, appears to pose unique marketing challenges. Set against a backdrop of the ancient Maya empire, which mysteriously collapsed centuries before the Spanish conquistadors arrived, the film is acted in Maya dialect and has a cast of relative unknowns. This year, Gibson described "Apocalypto" as "an action-adventure of mythic proportions." He deflected further queries about the plot, although he did say that "Apocalypto" — a Greek word that translates as "new beginning" — centers on an Indian family man who "has to overcome tremendous odds to preserve what he values the most."

Principal photography on the film was recently completed. A person who saw Gibson on the set in Veracruz, Mexico, said he appeared healthy and in control and did not display any hint of a drinking problem. It is unclear how his arrest might affect his participation in the film's post-production.

Meanwhile, the Holocaust project, to be adapted from a little-known 1998 memoir called "Flory: Survival in the Valley of Death," which recounts the experiences of a young Dutch Jew during World War II, is in the early stages. An ABC spokeswoman Sunday would confirm only that the project was in development and that executives would wait to see a finished script before deciding whether to go into production on the proposed miniseries. Gibson and his spokesman, Alan Nierob, have said little about the project, which is backed by Gibson's Con Artists Productions, the TV division of his Icon Productions.

"It's in development, but not very far in," an ABC spokeswoman said. "It is not at the point where you would make those determinations. There is no script."

Although many of the town's senior executives are Jewish and Hollywood has a long history of supporting Israel and Jewish causes, there was no widespread public condemnation of Gibson's comments over the weekend. Although some high-level executives privately expressed dismay at the statements attributed to Gibson after his arrest, none of those contacted would speak on the record.

As for Gibson, he was said to be huddling with his medical, legal and spiritual advisors over the weekend. Some of his friends, who asked not to be identified, said they hoped he would seek counseling for his admitted drinking problem. One source said the star had already begun rehabilitation, noting that Gibson had long been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous.

At this point, the incident's long-term effect on Gibson's career is a matter of speculation.

Filmmakers can be accused — and convicted — of serious moral and legal transgressions and never suffer for lack of work. Roman Polanski fled the country to avoid jail time for having sex with a minor and, many years later, won an Academy Award for directing "The Pianist."

Director Victor Salva was convicted and went to prison for molesting a child. But he now works steadily; his last film was "Peaceful Warrior." Woody Allen, who had an affair with (and eventually married) the daughter of then-girlfriend Mia Farrow, makes a movie a year. The late Columbia chief David Begelman embezzled about $50,000, but it was his accuser — actor Cliff Robertson — whose career suffered. Any number of actors have continued working after drunk driving arrests.

Gibson, who is expected to appear in court Sept. 28 on his misdemeanor DUI charge, clearly needs allies in the industry.

Like many wealthy producers, Gibson lacks the experience, infrastructure and clout to distribute films himself. He relied on the independent distributor Newmarket Films to help release "The Passion of the Christ" and will use Disney's distribution apparatus for "Apocalypto."

Producers who try to release their own films face issues the major studios do not. First, distribution requires a separate staff to market and disseminate a new release, select and book theaters, duplicate and ship prints, and collect film rentals. Without an annual slate of a dozen or so films, that staff would be idle most of the time. Second, a slate of films gives distributors the clout to get their films' trailers shown in theaters and, as Gibson can attest, the power to collect their share of ticket sales.

Warner Bros., for example, had no trouble getting theaters to show the preview for "Lady in the Water," because even if that film was doomed to failure, theater owners know the studio also has the next "Harry Potter" and "Batman" films coming. An independent producer doesn't have that leverage, which is crucial when accounts become past due.

Even though "The Passion of the Christ" grossed more than $370 million in U.S. and Canadian theaters, Gibson had to sue Regal Entertainment Group, operator of the nation's largest theater chain with nearly 6,400 screens, to collect $40 million, his claimed proportion of the chain's receipts for "The Passion." The lawsuit was eventually settled.

If Disney were to bow out of distributing "Apocalypto," there are few other easy ways for Gibson to get his movie into theaters. Newmarket is now a part of Time Warner Inc., and therefore is subject to the same potential boycott pressures that could be directed at Disney.

The only truly independent distributor with substantial pull is Lions Gate Films, which has a history of distributing movies Disney wants no part of. Lions Gate released two films, "Dogma" and "Fahrenheit 9/11," that were originally to be distributed by Disney's Miramax Film Corp.
I spoke to one person who helps run the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and he says that "Gibson is done" in Hollywood after his tirade. He says that everyone harbored a belief that he was anti-Semitic but that there was no concrete proof. He says "now that there is concrete proof that he's anti-Semitic he's just put the nail in his career coffin." No one who is Jewish could ever look Gibson in the eye again and believe that he doesn't secretly despise him or her. (I personally believe that also.)

Any company that decides to distribute his picture(s) is going to also be seen as anti-Semitic...I'd say that he's toast in Hollywood. Maybe he can distribute next through Bollywood?

Yes, people will forgive him and chalk it up to drunken stupor in some instances, but his instability and remarks will not be forgotten for a long, long time. The truth is that he is no longer an A-list popular actor that people want to see on the big screen. (Compare him to Tom Hanks for instance, or Johnny Depp, or Nick Cage.)

I'd say he's getting what he deserves if he's professionally ostracized.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 31, 2006, 11:37 AM

Considering most of Hollywood is run by Jews it was a really bad move.

"Hello, what have we here?

Forum Links
Forum Rules