Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Are Most All Converts to Islam Radicalized?

Are Most All Converts to Islam Radicalized?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 08:57 AM

I know moderate Muslims. I don't know of any moderate converts to Islam, however. Are most all converts to Islam radicalized? Feel free to flame me, but I'd prefer to see some valid examples that run contrary to my view.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 09:10 AM

No. Only a few high profile cases are.

Next question.

"Learn to swim"

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 09:13 AM

Go hang out in a mosque for a while and do a survey (or maintain your unsubstantiated views, your choice).

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 09:16 AM

I asked for examples. Have you done the mosque survey you propose? And if so, can you share the results? If not, it would seem your view is far more unsubstantiated than mine.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Are most all converts to Islam radicalized?
Yusuf Islam?

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 09:21 AM

He sounds kind of moderate with many of his statements, true. But then there's this:

“Salman Rushdie, indeed any writer who abuses the prophet or indeed any prophet under Islamic law, the sentence for that is actually death.”

And this:

“At Jerusalem, I went to the mosque and sat down. A man asked me what I wanted. I told him I was a Muslim. Now I realize I can get direct contact with God, unlike Christianity or any other religion.”

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 09:28 AM

He sounds kind of moderate with many of his statements, true. But then there's this…
The first quote does sound kind of "radical" (though I don't know if it's been taken out of context).

The second one is merely his personal opinion, and in no way points to any extremism, IMHO.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 09:38 AM

I think it's more than a bit extreme to make the blanket statement that Islam is the only religion that allows for direct contact to God. Judaism, in contrast, states that God personally hears the prayers of all of humanity.

But then again, perhaps that's a feature of normative Islam.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 09:42 AM

Most converts to most religions are impressively devout about it, at least at first. Some call this phenomenon "the convert's zeal." I would be surprised if Islam were any different.

However, does being a devout Muslim necessarily mean being a radical Muslim? I doubt it. In pretty much any religion out there it's quite possible to be faithful without being radical, and again, I doubt Islam is any different.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately, all religions have a "my God is better than your God" attitude to some degree. It's nearly impossible to reason with someone that is radicalized to believe that it's OK to kill others in the name of God.

I have no problem with any religion... I just hate to see our society slip back in to the dark ages regarding human rights.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 10:01 AM

I know moderate Muslims. I don't know of any moderate converts to Islam, however. Are most all converts to Islam radicalized? Feel free to flame me, but I'd prefer to see some valid examples that run contrary to my view.
Muhammad Ali is one valid example.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:03 AM

Yes! Muhammad Ali slipped my mind. There's one high profile counter-example.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
However, does being a devout Muslim necessarily mean being a radical Muslim? I doubt it.
I'm guessing in Big Mac's view it is.

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:05 AM

False.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2006, 10:07 AM

Yes! Muhammad Ali slipped my mind. There's one high profile counter-example.
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is another.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:09 AM

False.
OK. Then let me ask you this.

What is a "radical Muslim"?

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:10 AM

A Muslim who condones, aids or abets terrorism is a radical Muslim.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:13 AM

A Muslim who condones, aids or abets terrorism is a radical Muslim.
Then the next question would be:

Define terrorism please?

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:16 AM

Please don't derail the thread. You should know what terrorism is.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:18 AM

Please don't derail the thread. You should know what terrorism is.
I'm not trying to derail the thread.

And yes, I know what terrorism is. But I've seen attacks on US troops by Iraqis in Iraq called terrorism. Which is why I'm asking you to define terrorism.

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:23 AM

Okay, fair enough, terrorism is a wilfull attacking of civilians or a threat to attack civilians - i.e. "wipe Israel off the face of the map."

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:33 AM

Okay, fair enough, terrorism is a wilfull attacking of civilians or a threat to attack civilians - i.e. "wipe Israel off the face of the map."
Actually "wiping Israel off the face of the map" is not a call for an attack on innocent civilians.

See this is the problem I have with your definition of terrorism. You twist it and add to it just so it fits exactly with your political ideology yet at the same time excludes the terrorism committed by your side.

How about this for a definition of terrorism.

"Attacking civilians under whatever circumstances or threatening to attack civilians"?

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:35 AM

Wiping Israel off the map means murdering millions of Jews. That's a very unambiguous phrase. Please spare me the tedious exercise of proving it to you.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:39 AM

Wiping Israel off the map means murdering millions of Jews. That's a very unambiguous phrase. Please spare me the tedious exercise of proving it to you.
Did wiping East Germany off the map include killing millions of Germans? No.

And it's interesting that you only care for the Jews killed in your imaginative scenario. No mention of the Christians, Muslims et al.

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah
Did wiping East Germany off the map include killing millions of Germans? No.
Now you're just being utterly ridiculous. I have never heard anyone say East Germany was wiped off the map. Germany was unified. If East Germany had been wiped off the map, that would have meant it was destroyed.

And it's interesting that you only care for the Jews killed in your imaginative scenario. No mention of the Christians, Muslims et al.
Wiping Israel off the map means destroying Jews. Non-Jews would also die, depending on what scenario you envision, but the intent would be to perpetrate a second Holocaust (an event Ahmadinejad calls a fiction, as we know).

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:46 AM

I asked you not to derail the thread, btw.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 10:50 AM

Again, I'm not trying to derail the thread. I'm trying to get you to clarify what a radical Muslim is.

But since you aren't willing to discuss that I see no point in trying to have this discussion with you. Which also means I don't see the point of this thread.

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 10:53 AM

Whatever, Sayf. I'm actually curious now to read your next outlandish retort.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 11:13 AM

I guess he ran out of things to say.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 11:15 AM

I guess he ran out of things to say.
No, I just realised that it's impossible to have an open and honest discussion with you about this.

As soon as you show any kind of willingness to actually have an honest discussion about this I'll return to this thread. Until then I'll stay out of it.

(unless someone else shows that he is willing to discuss things honestly)

"Learn to swim"

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 11:24 AM

I told you to feel free to continue. If you don't want to acknowledge the sheer absurdity of your previous posts, I guess walking away is a fine tactic for you to employ.

Now then, we have two good counter-examples. Any others?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 11:37 AM

To get back to your original intent, I do have a real world personal example of a convert to Islam who was not radical after she converted. She did start wearing a headscarf when in public (her personal choice) and did not have any radical or terrorist viewpoints. I thought she would stop having lunch with me, since I'm a gay guy--but she was fine with it.

Ironically, when she converted both of us were working for a major Jewish organization at the time. No one had a problem with her religion and, in fact, everyone was supportive.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 11:39 AM

Good to know.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 11:51 AM

My definition of a radical Muslim (or any religion for that matter):
- teaches (and acts upon) the concept that killing is justified in the name of god
- teaches (and acts upon) the concept of intolerance of other religions
- believes that religious law supersedes the government's laws

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Ironically, when she converted both of us were working for a major Jewish organization at the time. No one had a problem with her religion and, in fact, everyone was supportive.
I wonder if she would be afforded the same courtecy if she was muslim and converted to something else in a Muslim nation. but thats besides the point.....

Personally, since religion teaches a "way of life"...the way to interact with your fellow human beings, o me is a big deal. but anyway....

I dont know of too many people who have converted from one faith to another.... My uncle's wife was hindu, but converted to Christianity. Religion was never really a big deal. Not really too concerned one way of the other, and shes more like a "hybrid" of both religions.

I think those who convert on their own, feel the need to continuously justify their conversion to themselves, which is why they get carried away. Those who convert for convenience (political/economic reasons) dont really care one way or the other since there is no idealogical transiion.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
I think those who convert on their own, feel the need to continuously justify their conversion to themselves, which is why they get carried away. Those who convert for convenience (political/economic reasons) dont really care one way or the other since there is no idealogical transiion.
In the West, most people convert out of convenience. It's usually the more religious that selects the religion. IMHO, it's usually a non-issue with most 20-30 somethings.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 12:15 PM

I've thought of doing this topic in the past. I've wondered the same thing. Of course, anecdotal evidence doesn't prove much. When I worked in the juvenile prison, there was a kid who converted and pretty extreme. He was what you would call a "jail house lawyer" who wanted to argue every rule.

I also had a co-worker who had converted (I think it had been a while) and was stand-offish, but otherwise fine.

So what does this all mean? Hell if I know. Like someone said, converts in general seem to be more zealous than someone who has been with that faith their entire lives.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 12:27 PM

Probably, but then again, bin Laden isn't a convert as far as I know.

But you know, if this is true, I doubt it's unique to Islam. For example, I've heard the same thing said about new Israelis (not necessarily converts to Judaism, but people who recently moved to live in Israel vs. people whose families have lived there for a long time). They say new Israelis are the most radical. I don't have personal knowledge to know if that's true, but it's something that I've heard on a number of occasions.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Most converts to most religions are impressively devout about it, at least at first. Some call this phenomenon "the convert's zeal." I would be surprised if Islam were any different.
Indeed. Born-again Christians being the most common example.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules