Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Just For Fun.....

Just For Fun.....
danangdoc
Apr 24, 2008, 02:49 PM

I know the mini is not a good candidate for a game machine, but when I've been working on it a while, I'd like something other than Bejweled type games to play. Here it is: Has anyone downloaded/bought/etc a copy of any version of DOOM that runs at an acceptable level on their mini? I have a core2-duo model. If so, let me know how it runs, where can I get it, etc. Yeah, I know, I know.......
Thanks!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2008, 03:41 PM

Doom or Doom 2 should run great under Windows on any Intel Mac.

danangdoc  (op)
Apr 25, 2008, 01:27 PM

Evidently there is no "Mac" version, but I would like to hear from anyone who has actually run a game like Doom - or anything on the same level, with reasonably good graphics, etc. - who can say how the Mini performs. Yeah, I'll eventually get VMware and load XP.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2008, 01:34 PM

Any game from that era will run great under Windows.

Any game from that era for Mac OS is going to be PPC only (and probably require classic) so it will either run poorly or not at all.

Cold Warrior
Apr 25, 2008, 01:38 PM

Also consider Diablo II (regular and Lord of Destruction expansion pack) if you're looking for a great - and still very fun - classic game. It has a carbon patch, so it'll run just fine in OS X, in addition to running very well on most hardware - even under Rosetta mode.

Just use the software mode to render graphics if you have issues with the OpenGL mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules