Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15.4" PB in Warehouses...

15.4" PB in Warehouses...
ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 09:10 PM

"...the 15.4-inch Aluminum Powerbook G4 is waiting in Apple's warehouses, held back only by the fact that there are still thousands of existing 15.2-inch Titanium models in retailers' stores...."

Mac OS Rumors

I don't know about this one...they are saying that once inventory clears in 2 to 3 weeks, we could see the new 15.4"s as soon as then.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
"...the 15.4-inch Aluminum Powerbook G4 is waiting in Apple's warehouses, held back only by the fact that there are still thousands of existing 15.2-inch Titanium models in retailers' stores...."

Mac OS Rumors

I don't know about this one...they are saying that once inventory clears in 2 to 3 weeks, we could see the new 15.4"s as soon as then.
I'll be first: never gonna happen.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 09:12 PM

don't believe mac os rumors... they are almost always completely wrong

.... here's hoping though

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 09:18 PM

Yea... but remember... it's only a rumor.... most likely... false...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Rinpoche
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2003, 09:37 PM

i have a question. lets say in the distant future my 1ghz tibook bites the dust and no longer works (knock on wood). under applecare warranty, would they replace it with a new alubook?

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2003, 09:40 PM

All those rumor crap sites are full of it. And where did this '15.4"' come from? The current, cheap displays are 15.2", and that's how it's going to stay. Why would they go through changing displays for a .2" difference? Then they have to stock two different models for repairs, etc.

No way.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 09:49 PM

Actually, the 15.4" idea isn't too far-fetched; as a matter of fact, Dell is already selling them. The reason they're going for the .2" increase is that it can more easily support a widescreen-friendly resolution, which makes it quite a bit more appealing.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2003, 10:24 PM

I seem to recall Mac OS rumors, macwhispers and all the other rumour sites predicting the imminente arrival of the 15.4 AlBook about 1 month ago. I didnt happen. It wont happen now. 17" isnt shipping yet and its plastered all over billboards in US, Europe and the developed world! Marketing common sense dictates you allow a new sector to take hold before revamping an existing good seller. Look to July/August at the earliest for the announncement and shipping in September,

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
It wont happen now. 17" isnt shipping yet and its plastered all over billboards in US, Europe and the developed world! Marketing common sense dictates you allow a new sector to take hold before revamping an existing good seller. Look to July/August at the earliest for the announncement and shipping in September,
Amen brother, you know exactly what you're talking about.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 10:50 PM

I don't know, all I know is that we have been surprised before.

It doesn't make sense right now to have the 15.4", but who knows .

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Amen brother, you know exactly what you're talking about.
Yes..exactly.. Plus, this rumors about 15.4" PB waiting in some warehouses has been around for a long long time now..nothing new here..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

crispinwilliams
Apr 3, 2003, 04:07 AM

There is now a 2 week delay if you order a 15" tibook at the european (swiss-fr) apple store - seems something is in the works

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by crispinwilliams:
There is now a 2 week delay if you order a 15" tibook at the european (swiss-fr) apple store - seems something is in the works
Or delays with some components...

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2003, 08:40 AM

I would prefer 15.4" or 15.2 with an aluminum shell but they need to be readily availble before Jun 9 (when I leave the states). If not I have to settle for a 17". Being forced to take a 17" over a 15" is like having to clean out a doughnut shop instead of a candy store or visa versa, they're both sweet.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

PBAddict
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2003, 05:13 PM

15" Build time in UK apple store is 2 weeks.
15" Build Time in US apple Store is 5-7 days.

Longest build times (excluding 17). Maybe an announcement next week

msykes
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Rinpoche:
i have a question. lets say in the distant future my 1ghz tibook bites the dust and no longer works (knock on wood). under applecare warranty, would they replace it with a new alubook?
Don't count on it. Apple always seems to have a reserve of older models on hand for warranty replacements. Besides, it tends to take quite a bit of malfunctioning, and quite a few trips to the service center before it's actually verified as unrepairable.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by msykes:
Don't count on it. Apple always seems to have a reserve of older models on hand for warranty replacements. Besides, it tends to take quite a bit of malfunctioning, and quite a few trips to the service center before it's actually verified as unrepairable.
As far as I know, Apple won't replace a computer until it's been to a service center three times for the same problem.

If they replace your PowerBook with a newer model, not only are they spending money on the replacement, but they're also losing money because you would not be upgrading as soon as you would have been if you had your original machine. If I had a 1-gigahertz Titanium PowerBook G4 and they replaced my machine with a newer model, I wouldn't upgrade until that newer model that they gave me is antiquated. This is exactly why Apple doesn't mind keeping around several older PowerBooks to replace problematic units in the future.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2003, 06:52 PM

If you're in the market for a 15-inch PowerBook, you should buy one now. I think the new 15-inch PowerBook will come out in another three months along with updated 17- and 12-inch PowerBooks. According to my predictions, the new PowerBooks will feature Motorola 7457 G4's built on a 0.13-micron manufacturing process. The 17-inch PowerBook may feature a 1.4-gigahertz G4, the 15-inch PowerBook may feature a 1.2-gigahertz G4, and the 12-inch PowerBook may feature a 1-gigahertz G4. My best guess is that all of the updated PowerBooks will feature different models of the GeForce FX Go graphics chipset. The update will probably happen after WWDC, where I think the the Power Macs with IBM 970 CPU's and new enclosures will debut. Incidentally, I think Apple's has a 40-gigabyte iPod with a color screen in the works. If it does exist, I predict it will be out in the coming months.
( Last edited by seanyepez; Apr 3, 2003 at 06:58 PM. )

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 07:07 PM

Nice way of blurting out your rumors. Your sources will be proud lol

Originally posted by seanyepez:
If you're in the market for a 15-inch PowerBook, you should buy one now. I think the new 15-inch PowerBook will come out in another three months along with updated 17- and 12-inch PowerBooks. According to my predictions, the new PowerBooks will feature Motorola 7457 G4's built on a 0.13-micron manufacturing process. The 17-inch PowerBook may feature a 1.4-gigahertz G4, the 15-inch PowerBook may feature a 1.2-gigahertz G4, and the 12-inch PowerBook may feature a 1-gigahertz G4. My best guess is that all of the updated PowerBooks will feature different models of the GeForce FX Go graphics chipset. The update will probably happen after WWDC, where I think the the Power Macs with IBM 970 CPU's and new enclosures will debut. Incidentally, I think Apple's has a 40-gigabyte iPod with a color screen in the works. If it does exist, I predict it will be out in the coming months.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ae86_16v  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 09:17 PM

Yeah Applecare is not a replacement plan, it is a repair plan. They'll just fix it for you.

Mac Rumors is also reporting that the new 15 is going to happen within the next month. It looks like it is going to happen soon.

On another thread some guy said that the IBM 970 will be ready for the Powerbooks by August. So I don't know, I highly doubt that they'll release a version of the Powerbook and then two to three months down the line release one w/ the 970. Either that or they could release one now and release the 970 one closer to November/December.

But personally, I don't think I am going to buy another Powerbook until the G5.

todrain
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 11:41 PM

A new 15 doesn't make sense now. Believe it or not, the TI still sells pretty well, and a new 15 with the same specs will ruin the WOW factor that Steve loves. At the same time, you can't update the 15 and leave the 17 ath 1Ghz. I think the delay in getting the 17s out the door pushed the 15s back to July.

Tomac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 01:41 AM

Here's my thoughts (freedom of speech thank you):

If the new 15" AlBook comes out before the 17" rev b -- likely, most definitely 'cause the Ti is WAY TOO bloody old -- one should wait and hesitate before buying. No way in heck could Apple have their 17" "beast" perform tamer than a 15.X" model -- it'd look really embarrassing and confuse the consumer/prosumer. The 17" is a desktop replacement and therefore should perform like one. Since the 15" Ti and 17" Al are both at 1GHz currently, here's somewhat of a solution.

Apple will have to speed bump both models when the 15.X" AlBook is released -- in the process annoying those who have JUST got their 1GHz 17" AlBooks. They CANNOT have the 15" AlBook remain at 1GHz when the Ti has been at that for what seems forever -- since November 2002. They CANNOT have the top 17" equal the 15" in speed. I say "top" because there will probably be an additional faster 17" model -- possibly two -- announced alongside two 15.X" AlBooks. This is one way for Apple to dig out of the differentiation hole for the time being and still give a reason for a person to buy the 17" over the 15" -- justifying the desktop replacement title. I could see the low 17" equaling the high-end 15.X" Al speed-wise, though. Some people will just want that bigger screen and be satisfied with the performance.

All speculations. Don't take too seriously -- flames scare me.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
Yeah Applecare is not a replacement plan, it is a repair plan. They'll just fix it for you.

Mac Rumors is also reporting that the new 15 is going to happen within the next month. It looks like it is going to happen soon.

On another thread some guy said that the IBM 970 will be ready for the Powerbooks by August. So I don't know, I highly doubt that they'll release a version of the Powerbook and then two to three months down the line release one w/ the 970. Either that or they could release one now and release the 970 one closer to November/December.

But personally, I don't think I am going to buy another Powerbook until the G5.
IMHO, That would make sense to release a 15" albook soon..Apple needs to make the PB line even.. Then they can upgrade the whole line later this year (august-september) with shipping 1-2 month later which make 5-6 month after the last PB rev......

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 03:14 PM

Rumors all over the place... check this out:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...threadid=23694

Forum Links
Forum Rules