Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Scratched on Aluminum

Scratched on Aluminum
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2008, 04:14 PM

Argghhhh. I havent even taken this notebook(unibody MacBook) outdoors yet (waiting for my case n bag to arrive in the mail). It's been lying on a wooden desk most of the time, and today when i inspected it, there are a bunch of tiny scratches on the bottom. they dont look like something that could have happened while in my possession, but something that could have happened during manufacturing. they make the al look kinda blemished with a slight discoloration.

It's past the initial 14 days so what can i do here ? how did you guys deal with this OCD ?

Cheers

ibook_steve
Nov 22, 2008, 04:42 PM

Umm, not look at the bottom?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 22, 2008, 11:20 PM

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2008, 01:31 AM

Think of them as battle-scars, badges of honor indicating a long and well-lived life (even if it was just sitting on a desk.) If somebody notices them, you raise an eyebrow and say, "well, that's when I was having the most amazing discussion in the pub with Descartes and Erasmus, and Erasmus was saying "Macbook, therefore I am" and Descartes responded with "You're only thinking that", whereupon Erasmus swatted him with the Macbook."

Seriously, don't worry about the bottom, just buy something to protect the top.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2008, 05:03 AM

Haha thats the best solution yet

Just thought i'd post to let people know that this "blemish" is actually part of the manufacturing process as pointed out here...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....52654&#8452654

A similar "blemish" can be seen here near the speaker grills of the MBP. http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...review-2.ars/3

The appearance is very dependent on light direction. I guess this is something they have to work out in the manufacturing process.

Cheers

redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Dec 9, 2008, 05:48 AM

Get a Best Skins Ever
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...ple/Categories

or Invisible Shield
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

They are quite difficult to apply. Invisible Shield includes a bottle of lubricant (mostly water) to help apply it, which works quite well. But once they're on, you cannot get any scratches on your MacBook.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008, 12:17 PM

I was actually able to rub out all of the "scratches" on the bottom of mine with my thumb. (Probably indicating that they weren't actually scratches, or I have a really cool thumb.)
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

amazing
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2008, 12:26 PM

I got a clear Speck case for my new MBP, figuring that the huge aircraft-landing-field top case was gonna be a magnet for all sorts of dirt and scratches (I'm coming from a 12" PB which makes the MBP seem ginormous.)

I'm putting some of my favorite photos under the clear case, adds a creative flair. And I can recognize mine from any distance.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2009, 04:08 PM

here's what the blemish on my MacBook looks like. The viewing angle is similar as well.

Raman
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2009, 05:17 PM

I had a similar blemish on my new 15" MacBrick Pro and depending on how light hit it, it was either barely noticeable to god aweful. I took it back to the Apple store within the 14 day and they exchanged it for a new MacBrick on the spot.

I don't think the blemishes are acceptable on these premium computers. I don't care if it's a part (flaw?) of the manufacturing process.

mkerr64
Senior User
Mar 14, 2009, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by redhot_nyc View Post
Get a Best Skins Ever
http://www.bestskinsever.com/servlet...ple/Categories

or Invisible Shield
http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/...ns-shields.php

They are quite difficult to apply. Invisible Shield includes a bottle of lubricant (mostly water) to help apply it, which works quite well. But once they're on, you cannot get any scratches on your MacBook.
Zagg works incredibly well, i have it on my MBP and iPhone
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2009, 05:31 AM

here's the blemish on my MacBook...

Still bugging me, so i think i'll replace it when i get the extended warranty. unfortunately im wayyy past the 14 day policy(and im not in the States right now anyway) anyone know how to go about getting a replacement panel ?

Cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules