Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9 failure

OS 9 failure
Parrish
Oct 26, 1999, 12:14 AM

OS 9 has been a complete failure for me. I have incompatabilities with norton antivirus and norton utilities. My USB zip 100 no longer functions. My mac crashes on restart and shutdown. I did a clean install, but the problems above persisted. Can anyone please offer me some advice before I switch back to 8.6

Daryl
Oct 26, 1999, 01:41 AM

Hi!

There are new versions of
Norton's Utilities and anti-Virus,
versions 5 & 6 respectively.
There has been a lot of discussion in this forum regarding Zip drives and Mac OS 9,
I think the general consensus is that
the Iomega software is incompatible with
Mac OS 9, however, Mac OS 9 contains generic drivers that apparently work quite well.

I hope this helps

Daryl

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 1999, 02:36 AM

good advice from Daryl...

and please check out the MacOS 9 report here: http://www.macnn.com/reports/os9.shtml

scott
Oct 26, 1999, 03:14 AM

I have a Blue and White G3/400 with a SCSI Zip drive and have had no problems so far. I just use the built-in Mac OS 9 drivers.

- Scott

------------------
Scott Stevenson
Contributing Editor,
MacNN

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 1999, 02:02 PM

info seems solid on this point now...

Anyone having problems with Zip (USB) or SuperDisk drives should not install the software drivers that come with either of these drives. The needed software is already installed with the iMac DV and if the older versions are installed, it may prevent them from working.

Parrish
Oct 27, 1999, 02:24 PM

Solutions and Thanks!

Thanks for the help above. Removing Iomega tools and using the OS 9 drivers solved my Zip drive problems. One catch, however: without the tools program, I cannot access Zip disks that have been password protected. An Iomega representative told me that they are working on an update.

Will Symantec offer updates for NAV 5 and NU 4? It's a complete rip off if they don't.

OS 9 now functions perfectly, except I miss the wild eep...

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 1999, 04:58 PM

>OS 9 now functions perfectly, except I miss the wild eep...

You can have that too! If you did a clean install, you can pull it over from your Previous System Folder. If not, I'm sure someone can mail it to you - its just a sound!

Frank

Forum Links
Forum Rules