Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari- History Retention Problem

Safari- History Retention Problem
MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 09:15 PM

I posted this in MacOSX section of this forum but it was closed, because it was OSX specific, so I'm posting it here.

Anyways,

Safari doesn't seem to retain history beyond 1 day old (beyond the previous day) on my PowerMac G4. It'll just retain today and yesterday but nothing 2 days or older. And when I quit Safari and launch it up again, the retention of the previous day's is cut down, each time I quit and relaunch Safari; for example it started off with about 78 entries in the History of yesterday and it would shrink more and more, each time I quit and launch up Safari. On my bro's iBook G4 it retains several days of history. The only difference is that I turned on Tab browsing and he didn't.

Anyone else experiencing this? Does tab browsing have anything to do with this?

I just resetted Safari, hoping It'll help. But I won't know until tomorrow, when I get an extra day of history, so I could see if it auto-shrinks each time I quit and re-launch Safari.

EDIT: Resetting Safari doesn' seem to help, the "Earlier Today" History is getting "trimmed down" after I quit and re-launch Safari.
( Last edited by MacGallant; Oct 13, 2004 at 11:50 PM. )
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2004, 02:29 AM

I have suffered the same problems since using Safari enhancer (have since removed it)

Apple support seems to have a lot on this on the web, have you tried deleting the plist file (in your users/safari folder).

I am going to try this when i get home and see if i have any luck, if not i may have to reinstall enhancer and try that way.

Will return with any news.

C

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:
I have suffered the same problems since using Safari enhancer (have since removed it)

Apple support seems to have a lot on this on the web, have you tried deleting the plist file (in your users/safari folder).

I am going to try this when i get home and see if i have any luck, if not i may have to reinstall enhancer and try that way.

C
I deleted the safari plist, but the problem persists.
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

MacGallant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2004, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:

C
So how did it go for you, MilkmanChris?

I on the verge of giving up and living with this.
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2004, 02:34 AM

Hi

So i bit the bullet and reinstalled safari enhancer.

I set the history limit to 9999 entries and 3 days later it seems to working ok.

I have read that the history in safari is only a 1000 pages visited, so depending on how heavy your surfing session this could be filled up in a couple of days.

Hope this helps.

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

Forum Links
Forum Rules