Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > wtf is "Git-R-Done" anyway?

wtf is "Git-R-Done" anyway?
Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2005, 10:31 PM

I'm getting a little disturbed by all the "Git-R-Done" merchandise I've been seeing around recently, in large part because I can't for the life of me figure out what the big deal is. I understand it's connected to some comedian, but is there any point to it besides perhaps being fun to say? What is it supposed to mean? Is there some particular reason it's connected with Confederate flags, deer skulls, car-magnet ribbons, talking cigarette lighters, thong panties, and who knows what else?

I think the car-magnet ribbons disturb me most. Not that I've ever been a fan of the ribbons, but most of them seem to at least have some kind of comprehensible meaning.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 10:34 PM

this thread does not Git-R-Done.

tough to explain. catch some blue collar comedy and you might have an angle to work with.

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 20, 2005, 10:35 PM

The guy is actually humorous is a country backwoods sort of way.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2005, 11:21 PM

Some retarded redneck catchphrase.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2005, 11:28 PM

It's "I'm Rich James, Bitch" for rednecks.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2005, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by ReggieX
Some retarded redneck catchphrase.
Like "come here a minute"?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 12:04 AM

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by
It's "I'm Rich James, Bitch" for rednecks.
Yeah, I think there's something implicitly sexual about it. Not menacing, more matter-of-fact, as in "Never mind snuggling and all that crap: A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do," but with a hint of noblesse oblige, as in "I'm a stud; she wants it constantly; I can satisfy her in mere minutes," or the more classic "Rode hard and put up wet."

In redneck-land, I suspect this applies to cows and sheep as well as women.

In any case, a testament to the richness of our language.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 12:45 AM

I'm from redneck-land, and I'm especially sick of hearing it. People say it all the time here, I wish it would hurry up and run its course.

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 12:46 AM

I've never heard it

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

pathogen
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 12:53 AM

never mind (edited: I wrote duck tape instead of duct tape, so essentially I'm handing my car keys over to the bartender and getting off my computer before my brain melts too much tonight.)
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by pathogen
Think of the Red-Green show having a duck-tape tie in with Canadian Tire. And then you'll understand the lame-osity. Throw in some hillbilly Nascar confederate flag culture, and then you'll understand the scary popularity.
I thought the red-green show was bad enough but it sounds like you just described hell itself.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 12:56 AM

I can't believe my sister watches it.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:04 AM

In one skit, Larry the Cable Guy makes fun of himself for being illiterate. After watching for a bit, I realized that he was using his illiteracy as a defining characteristic of his redneck culture. He wasn't making fun of himself for not understanding the word, he was making fun of the word for being too complex for him to pronounce.

He was funny to me at first, but it got old quick. Plus, Blue Collar TV might be the worst show ever.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by pathogen
never mind (edited: I wrote duck tape instead of duct tape, so essentially I'm handing my car keys over to the bartender and getting off my computer before my brain melts too much tonight.)
That's allowed. Duck Tape is a brand of duct tape.

loki74
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:18 AM

I thought duct tape was originally called duck tape, due to its waterproof properties--water slides off of it similar to that of the back of a duck... and then it because later known as duct tape when they found it was very useful in ducts? ...am I crazy?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 01:51 AM

Was you using below as an example?
Originally Posted by zigzag

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I've never heard it
Go to your more rural area in Canada I am sure you will.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:22 AM

You are correct, sir. I have the complete list of quadrupeds the phrase applies to if anyone is interested.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:38 AM

Roughly speaking, "get-r-done" means "get it done," "what are you waiting for?," "hurry up and do something," "do something about it," and perhaps "just do it."

The point of the saying is not so much to have a significant meaning, but to make fun of the way it is said and used, and people who may speak in such a manner, ie rednecks.

"Redneck" comedians such as Larry the cable guy depict themselves as this redneck person in order to make the comedy more funny.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I think there's something implicitly sexual about it. Not menacing, more matter-of-fact, as in "Never mind snuggling and all that crap: A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do," but with a hint of noblesse oblige, as in "I'm a stud; she wants it constantly; I can satisfy her in mere minutes," or the more classic "Rode hard and put up wet."

It has nothing to do with sexuality at all. The phrase applies to nothing in itself.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
I thought duct tape was originally called duck tape, due to its waterproof properties--water slides off of it similar to that of the back of a duck... and then it because later known as duct tape when they found it was very useful in ducts? ...am I crazy?
YOu are correct, I believe I heard a story about how the army used it to seal holes in their boats, thus the DUCK reference (purely from memory, but I bet snopes could turn it up)

as far as the GET R DUN thing, you are all spelling it wrong! I never knew it was a blue collar comedy thing, but me and my friends always use it when we are working on our jeeps, or trying to tackle an off road obstacle... seeing as how 4 wheeling is generally considered a "Redneck" thing we find it funny, because we are not usually seen as rednecks in any way...

Zach

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 07:08 AM

I heard it at work the other day (from the mouth of the same little cute girl that says "don't got") and I wanted to set her desk on fire. I'm glad I live FAAAAAAAAR FAAAAAAAAR away from the rednecks in Texas, because I'd go insane if I had to listen to that kind of crap all the time.

Maury

Oh, and down here, we call rednecks stump-dumb redneck.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ke^in
Was you using below as an example?

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
It has nothing to do with sexuality at all. The phrase applies to nothing in itself.
OK, it just struck me as a bit lascivious-sounding when I first heard it. I lived in the South for quite a while and don't remember hearing it, but I believe you.

Larry made me laugh with this one: "This girl I was dating said she wanted to do it on a horse, so I said, well, OK, I'll try it. But then the guy from Wal-Mart came out and told us to get off the machine."

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 08:01 AM

"Larry the Cable Guy" needs to have a horrible, yet amusingly odd accident to end his career. It's revolting-the character, the patter, the "humor," ALL of it. I like the "No Fear" (and the rip off "Ain't Skeered") stuff a lot more than Larry's drivvel. <puke!> Make no mistake, I'm not ranting against "Southern humor" or even redneck stuff (I paid good money to go to a Bill Engvall show and loved it!). I just dispise the depths that "Larry" dives to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 08:02 AM

You non southerners realize the term redneck is offensive, right?

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 21, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr
Funny, most of the southerners I know take pride in being a redneck or a hillbilly, and will gladly tell you the difference between the two.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 08:09 AM

Yes. Why else would we use it?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 08:12 AM

Uh oh, you should warn all the people around here who have "100% Redneck" stickers on the back of their Dodge Ram. They'll be mad when they find out they're offending themselves!
( Last edited by jasonsRX7; Jul 21, 2005 at 08:26 AM. )

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
Well water slides off scotch tape, packaging tape, etc etc etc. In fact, I've never seen tape that dissolves when it gets wet.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 08:59 AM

Yeah, that's why I see people wearing 'proud to be a redneck shirts'. Seriously STFU. Rednecks are stupid, uneducated, usually large guys driving big trucks or camaros, have those calvin stickers, listen to country, watch football, and drink budweiser (the last two usually preceding a good wife beating). Oh yeah, they drive HARLEYS too. God I ****ing hate harleys. Can they be any louder or more obnoxious? I think not! Good thing I live in freakin milwaukee. >sigh<

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 09:12 AM

You have just proven why yankees need to stay in the ignorant, knuckledragging, mouthbreathing uneducated north.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 09:18 AM

You have just proven why yankees need to stay in the ignorant, knuckledragging, mouthbreathing uneducated north.

Okay dude. I've been in the south a few times, and there are some very nice people there. Unfortunately, there's also a very large population of rednecks.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 09:36 AM

As a Southerner (South Texas, by the coast), we know it's an insult -- and that's why we use it. We don't like rednecks in my "neck of the woods."

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 09:57 AM

ignorant, knuckledragging, mouthbreathing uneducated north.

Okay, Cletus.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:11 AM

I'm in redneck country, and yes it is a prevalent phrase unfortunately. No one has said it to me directly, which is good, because I would consider them's to be fightin' words.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 21, 2005, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Yeah, that's why I see people wearing 'proud to be a redneck shirts'. Seriously STFU. Rednecks are stupid, uneducated, usually large guys driving big trucks or camaros, have those calvin stickers, listen to country, watch football, and drink budweiser (the last two usually preceding a good wife beating). Oh yeah, they drive HARLEYS too. God I ****ing hate harleys. Can they be any louder or more obnoxious? I think not! Good thing I live in freakin milwaukee. >sigh<

Why should they? Are you wishing to censor them? Only a few can have freedom of speech huh?

More Ca$h nonsense...

If you

- Are a large person
- Drive a Pickup Truck, or a Camaro, have a Calvin Sticker
- Listen to Country Music
- Watch Football
- Drink Budweiser (The King of Beers)
or (RIDE) not drive a Harley.

You are (according to Rob) stupid and uneducated.

Thanks for the insight into the bigotry of Rob.

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:15 AM

Most know. most don't care.
Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Uh oh, you should warn all the people around here who have "100% Redneck" stickers on the back of their Dodge Ram. They'll be mad when they find out they're offending themselves!
And rappers call each other niggers. I tell you what, go up to one and call him that. And see if your reasoning pans out.
Originally Posted by suvsr4terrorists
Rob you know there are people that see you as a redneck too right?

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Why should they? Are you wishing to censor them? Only a few can have freedom of speech huh?
I don't care if someone has a Tshirt that says "Proud to be an illiterate uneducated wife beating cheap beer guzzling football watching jacked up truck driving hick". I was just explaining that it isn't always insulting if some people are proud to have that title.

If you
- Are a large person
- Watch Football

Not always. I've met country folk with jacked up trucks who are very educated, and very cool. I was making a generalization. A 'stereotype' if you will. Stereotypes exist for a reason, and believe it or not, IT IS OKAY AND NORMAL to stereotype. The problem arises when you put someone into a category and never let them out of it.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by budster101

More Ca$h nonsense...

If you

- Are a large person
- Watch Football

Thanks for the insight into the bigotry of Rob.
I agree with you for the most part but let's be reasonable here - it's pretty safe to assume someone with a peeing Calvin is not the brightest bulb.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:22 AM

didn't zimph get banned for a conversation along these lines?

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:24 AM

d4nth3m4n no, I didn't get banned for having this conversation.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ke^in
And rappers call each other niggers. I tell you what, go up to one and call him that. And see if your reasoning pans out.
Which just goes to show that it's not the word itself that's offensive, it's who's saying it and the context in which it's used.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

I used to love peeing Calvin... I just saw one that had Peeing Calvin on Alqeda....

What about those stupid RAINBOW stickers on people's Volkswagon Beetles... I hate those self-rightous homosexual idiot moronic stupid lisping light in the loafers bitchy artsy fartsy tea and w(h)ine drinking I'm better than you and it shows in how I dress people...

This was a dramatization in order to prove a point that was made pointless by a pointy headed pointer.

Ke^in
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
Which just goes to show that it's not the word itself that's offensive, it's who's saying it and the context in which it's used.
This very well may be true. I can agree with that.

When it is used to belittle someone, it is indeed offensive. What I have found is, the only really people that use it in such a way, and think they are justified in doing so, are rednecks themselves.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I think the car-magnet ribbons disturb me most. Not that I've ever been a fan of the ribbons, but most of them seem to at least have some kind of comprehensible meaning.
I missed this part of the original post. I haven't seen git-r-done stickers (yet), but they will get lost in all the other numerous stickers anyway. The nice thing is that this sort of crap is usually located on the back bumper, and being that the "git-r-done" sort here prefer to drive 10 mph under the speed limit, I only see the stickers briefly as I pass them.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 10:35 AM

The vernacular is niggah, not nigger...

(i.e., Yo, niggha wuzzup?)

Which reminds me of a funny to lighten the (load) in here a tad-teeney-wee-bit. < That's white devil speak >

http://www.pocketmovies.net/cat_5_0.html
Scroll down to wassabe commercial.

BTW: Rob, you do know that Budweiser made the wassup commercials right? ....

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 10:41 AM

BTW guys both my Zimphire and Ke^in account got banned from here because of what I posted in this thread.

I believe some admin needs sever help in the psych department.

MacNN just isn't what it used to be.

Oh, and whatever happens to this forum. It's not my fault. Nor did I have anything to do with it.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by EdGein
Oh, and whatever happens to this forum. It's not my fault. Nor did I have anything to do with it.
Good, now that you've pointed this out, how about not repeating it ad infinitum as you did in the feedback forum. Or if you feel compelled to do so, perhaps make another thread dedicated to that. thx.

Forum Links
Forum Rules