Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Deal of the Century

Deal of the Century
b1NARY73
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2006, 06:12 PM

I am now typing on my Brand spanking new MBP 2.0GHZ that I bought off a gentleman for 1450.00!!!!!! He stated in his Craigs List ad: I am a Die Hard Dell Fan, and when I won this Notebook at work in a employee drawing, I knew I needed to sell it. He had no idea what it was worth, and when I informed him it was worth more, he said... so do you still want it..... so I said yes!!!!!!! I had a moment of feeling guilty, but it subsided quickly needless to say. I love this thing so far, will post back with more thoughts as I really start to put it through the paces.
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.5GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB
 Macbook Pro 17" / 2.16GHZ Intel Core Duo / 2GB Ram / 120GB
 Macbook Black / 2.4GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB Ram / 350GB

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2006, 06:14 PM

Congrats. But are you sure it's legit?

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2006, 06:31 PM

This thread is useless without pics

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2006, 06:50 PM

When I get home I will snap a few pics......and it is legit, He did not look like a thief.....and I am typing on it as we speak.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
May 10, 2006, 08:38 PM

What does a thief look like?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2006, 08:52 PM

Nice, I got my PowerBook 15" HR off of eBay brand new for $1750 with iSight, wireless mouse, MS Office 04, and Toast back in January, So it would be like $1150 without the extras.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

SLiMeX
Senior User
May 10, 2006, 09:15 PM

BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

masugu
Senior User
May 11, 2006, 12:06 AM

A "die-hard" Dell fan? Oy vey. Gimme a bah-rake!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 01:05 AM

Sounds really fishy to me. You might want to call Apple and have them check the serial number.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 01:12 AM

Who cares...a bird in the hand...
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 01:29 AM

Who cares? You don't think receiving stolen property is a serious matter? What if he needs service later on and calls Apple to find that the machine was stolen? I'm not positive that such a thing could happen, but why would the guy want to sell it for cheap? It doesn't make sense.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Who cares? You don't think receiving stolen property is a serious matter? What if he needs service later on and calls Apple to find that the machine was stolen? I'm not positive that such a thing could happen, but why would the guy want to sell it for cheap? It doesn't make sense.
Well, All I know is I have a New MacBook Pro, I paid with my hard earned cash, and if it was stolen, I guess I will never know. Some people do not know what the real value is on these....like my wife for instance. He was happy, he was going to buy a dell E1505 with all the bells and whistles on it. So in my book it is a win, win. I did inform him it was worth more, but all he said was he wanted a " NEW " Dell. If you want to know what he looked like, go to Apple.com and watch the " I'm a PC / I'm a Mac " TV Ads. Get the drift. Thanks for your concern Icruise.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 02:09 AM

I am installing windows right now, when I am done, I will post a few pics.

PJJames
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 03:16 AM

How about those pics....???

onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 03:26 AM

well if it is stolen just make sure you never bring it in for tech support.
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 03:46 AM

Here you go, I am having a problem connceting to my wireless network in XP right now..... F'ing windows!

jeebus
May 11, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by b1NARY73
Well, All I know is I have a New MacBook Pro, I paid with my hard earned cash, and if it was stolen, I guess I will never know. Some people do not know what the real value is on these....like my wife for instance. He was happy, he was going to buy a dell E1505 with all the bells and whistles on it. So in my book it is a win, win. I did inform him it was worth more, but all he said was he wanted a " NEW " Dell. If you want to know what he looked like, go to Apple.com and watch the " I'm a PC / I'm a Mac " TV Ads. Get the drift. Thanks for your concern Icruise.
Oh come on, I'm not saying many people wouldn't have done the same thing you did but don't go on deluding yourself into believing that it's not stolen. That is just naive. People don't just say no to money, especially the type of person who would buy a Dell.

"This laptop is worth more than what you're asking, perhaps I should pay you more for it?"
"No, that's OK, I don't want any more money. I have enough."

Yea there is no way that laptop was hot.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 04:38 AM

He stated in his Craigs List ad: I am a Die Hard Dell Fan

There is no such thing.

People buy Dell for one reason: They think they're the cheapest. Nobody buys a Dell because it's a Dell.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2006, 05:19 AM

Here you go, I am having a problem connceting to my wireless network in XP right now..... F'ing windows!

The MacBook is nice. But please do something about that sofa!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Dr.Michael
May 11, 2006, 05:56 AM

Will we have more pics of Macs in the future with this crappy OS on them (shudder).
Congrats to apple: They finally did it. People buying (or acquiring) a Mac and immediatlely installing Windows. Cool.
How many stock option may Steve have received for this from Bill?

BTW: Its right. This machine does not look as if it has been stolen .

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 07:18 AM

Did the PB come with the original box, discs, cables etc?

If so then you probably got a good deal, if you just got he computer, then you may in fact have recieved stolen goods.
~Mike

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 11, 2006, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Did the PB come with the original box, discs, cables etc?

If so then you probably got a good deal, if you just got he computer, then you may in fact have recieved stolen goods.
What difference does it make if it had the box and discs? We're not talking about it being stolen from an end user. This is an "it fell off a truck" kind of situation where someone may have lifted it from a store or stolen it in transport.

mindwaves
May 11, 2006, 09:55 AM

Agreed. Might want to use the extra cash that you saved to buy another sofa or some sofa cover. :-P

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 11, 2006, 11:42 AM

What difference does it make if it had the box and discs? We're not talking about it being stolen from an end user. This is an "it fell off a truck" kind of situation where someone may have lifted it from a store or stolen it in transport.
Its less likely that its stolen, your right about "falling of the truck" situations but it seems most stolen laptops are people walking off with them imo but your right having all of the stuff does not guarentee that its not stolen.
~Mike

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 11:59 AM

I'll say one thing at least in the photos that MacBook Pro looks like it has a very nice display.

EdipisReks
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Simon
Nobody buys a Dell because it's a Dell.
that's not quite strictly true. i know a few people who were big fans of dell back in the early/mid 1990s and continue to be big fans of the current line up. strange, sure, but there are people like that
20" iMac/2.4 C2D/4GB RAM/320 HD + ViewSonic VX2025WM
13" MBP/2.26 C2D/4GB RAM/250 HD
16 GB iPhone

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
that's not quite strictly true. i know a few people who were big fans of dell back in the early/mid 1990s and continue to be big fans of the current line up. strange, sure, but there are people like that
Let me rephrase then: Nobody in his right mind buys a Dell because it's a Dell.

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
The MacBook is nice. But please do something about that sofa!

Yeah that sofa is suck man, should do something about it.. craiglist maybe?

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2006, 09:00 PM

Well the sofa..... talk to the wife. It did come with all the boxes, manuals, etc. Sealed, it was never cracked open. I appreciate all the info... and yes, the thought that it was stolen came across my mind.... but I did not steal it. I paid for it. This thread should be shot like the sofa in my den... Mods, please do so. Thanks for all the feedback... =). Maybe there is a bit of jealousy out there when someone gets a good deal. I remember a while ago when A fellow macnn user got Two PB 17" for like 1700.00. I bet those were stolen as well. ;-). Sometimes people just want to get cash quick, and it is no skin off their back. I have done that as well.

Maggies Mama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
Its less likely that its stolen, your right about "falling of the truck" situations but it seems most stolen laptops are people walking off with them imo but your right having all of the stuff does not guarentee that its not stolen.
In general, I agree: if it came with box and discs, it could still be stolen. But if it did NOT come with box and discs, it almost surely was stolen.

It matters because property that is identified as stolen can be confiscated from you and returned to the rightful owner. Go talk to the seller about a refund. Right.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
May 11, 2006, 09:31 PM

I don't buy the whole "he didn't know the true value" bit...If he's that big of a dell fan, he probably at least knows how to use the internet, in which case if he had 1/4 of a brain he would have gone to the apple site to see how much they sold for new. Unless he didn't think 500$ was worth a few keystrokes and mouse clicks.

hldan
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the feedback... =). Maybe there is a bit of jealousy out there when someone gets a good deal. done .
That was certainly an extremely rude comment dude! You started this thread about you getting a deal of the century and then the people that replied to your thread were trying to help you by giving you a reality check so when it comes time for getting service you don't somehow get into hot water "If" it may have been stolen.
If it was stolen then it doesn't matter who stole it, it's still stolen and the possessor is held accountable which would be you.
Personally I think you got it for an enviable price but understand that people here aren't jealous of you, they are only helping you.
Don't use the word "jealousy" when you are bragging about a deal you got that nobody else has a chance of getting. That's plain rude.
( Last edited by hldan; May 14, 2006 at 12:10 PM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
May 14, 2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Congrats. But are you sure it's legit?

I don't think he was typing on it in his imagination.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 14, 2006, 12:28 PM

Even if you win a computer in a lottery, you can easily get a proof of purchase (in fact you HAVE TO have proof of purchase if you're ever going to make any warranty claims).

I bought a Rev. B iMac new in the box from a Windows fan who'd won a radio sweepstakes for really cheap, and he made sure to hand me a written statement from the radio station that the machine, serial no. XXXX, had been won on a specific date.

I would never buy a used computer still in the warranty without being handed the proof of purchase, at least in xerox copy.

masugu
Senior User
May 14, 2006, 12:56 PM

What's the old saying..."If it seems to good to be true, it probably is." Nef sed.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
That was certainly an extremely rude comment dude! You started this thread about you getting a deal of the century and then the people that replied to your thread were trying to help you by giving you a reality check so when it comes time for getting service you don't somehow get into hot water "If" it may have been stolen.
If it was stolen then it doesn't matter who stole it, it's still stolen and the possessor is held accountable which would be you.
Personally I think you got it for an enviable price but understand that people here aren't jealous of you, they are only helping you.
Don't use the word "jealousy" when you are bragging about a deal you got that nobody else has a chance of getting. That's plain rude.
Sorry if you thought it was rude....that was not my intent. I apologize to all who may have or will read that statement wrong...

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM

BTW, I registered it for Applecare, and nothing came up. I did it on the phone with a sales rep and I am now covered. He asked me where I purchased it from, and I explained the situation. For all intents and purposes, I guess if it was stolen and somebody had reported it, I guess it would have come up when they did the check on the hardware.

cambie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 01:18 PM

BTW, I registered it for Applecare, and nothing came up. I did it on the phone with a sales rep and I am now covered. He asked me where I purchased it from, and I explained the situation. For all intents and purposes, I guess if it was stolen and somebody had reported it, I guess it would have come up when they did the check on the hardware.
sounds like you are safe to me. don't listen to these people (except maybe the part about the couch), congrats on your awesome deal.

BTW, that pillow you've got it on doesn't help cooling much.

pete
Mac Elite
May 14, 2006, 02:24 PM

I've sold things below what they are worth because I didn't want to deal with bargaining and because the person I sold to was nice, easy-going and it 'felt right'. I know many people who are not always out to make the greatest profit and who would happily take less from a stranger who they like and feel a connection with. Or just becauce they want a quick sale...

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by pete
I've sold things below what they are worth because I didn't want to deal with bargaining and because the person I sold to was nice, easy-going and it 'felt right'. I know many people who are not always out to make the greatest profit and who would happily take less from a stranger who they like and feel a connection with. Or just becauce they want a quick sale...
Here, here!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 04:50 PM

Just realize that under the law, if you buy stolen property (even without realizing that it is stolen) you can have it taken away from you and possibly get in trouble as well. You do need to exercise some caution in situations like this. While this particular situation may be nothing more than what you describe, I find many of the attitudes in this thread to be rather disturbing. Whether something is unethical is not determined by whether or not you get into trouble by doing it.

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 05:03 PM

I totally understand what everyone is saying, and maybe I should have just left this thread alone. I was just so excited for finding this deal. And actually, I have found quite a few deals on Craigslist here in Seattle that were almost as good as this one. I have been on the other end of having a laptop stolen, and actually finding it for sale on eBay within a day! I was not able to recover it, and the local law officials were less than helpful. Thanks again for everyone's opinion on this thread.

24klogos
Forum Regular
May 14, 2006, 06:13 PM

I like your furniture. did u get that from the same dude?

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

b1NARY73  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2006, 07:24 PM

Enough about the furniture.... My wife likes it, it matches her scheme throughout the house. For all the married folk....you already know this: a happy wife is a happy life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules