Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Update on MB staining/discolouration

Update on MB staining/discolouration
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 02:21 AM

Hey'all

Did we ever come to the conclusion that Apple have fully fixed the discolouration problem? I know they have supposidly changed the top plastics.. but has that cured the problems?

Reason I ask is that my machine started to discolour about a week ago, and since have convinced Apple to send me a new machine (as apposed to replacing the top plastics). I'm just hoping they've fixed the manufacturing process, because I can't be bothered to go through all this again... and I've just ordered a second MacBook, and I don't want to be with 2 discoloured books!

I heard its week 26 and above machines that don't seem to discolour due to a new top plastic material... any confirmation of that..?

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Case
Jul 18, 2006, 02:50 AM

mines a week 25 and shes turning blue. No shes not sad, i mean the color blue.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2006, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Case
mines a week 25 and shes turning blue. No shes not sad, i mean the color blue.
Blue??
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Case
Jul 18, 2006, 03:01 AM

Yes my friend. A light blue. Im not joking.

Beepcake
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 05:15 AM

Are you, by any chance, a smurf?

craigb6
Jul 18, 2006, 06:39 AM

Yes my friend. A light blue. Im not joking.
Do you have a picture you can show?
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

joel_v
Jul 18, 2006, 08:39 AM

mines a week 23 build, and no discolouration as yet...
ive had it for over 4 weeks, so hopefully that means that its not going to discolour...

nickw311
Senior User
Jul 18, 2006, 10:57 AM

Mine is a week 25 and is turning yellowish brown.
27" iMac C2D

fesdds
Jul 18, 2006, 11:39 AM

I have 2 week 20's, one has a dot of staining the size of a pencil lead & the other is stain free. My buddy had one that stained really bad, Apple replaced the plastic and his second one has also stained. They have already said they will replace it, but he is waiting for a bit to change it out.

Case
Jul 18, 2006, 02:27 PM

Indeed I do. Its really light because i took a Mr Clean Magic Easer to it for like an hour. I was a lot darker.

Heebs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 02:45 PM

Man... I hope mine discolors soon if its going to do it... I want to get it replaced before I leave.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 18, 2006, 03:14 PM

If it is blue you might have a shirt staining it.

"Hello, what have we here?

Case
Jul 18, 2006, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
If it is blue you might have a shirt staining it.
First day I got I wore a grey I <3 NYC shirt, then a white tee, then another white tee. Nope not that.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2006, 03:43 PM

Colorful watch?

kapkorn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 04:31 PM

Mine is BARELY but it looks more like some oil or dirt, nothing like the pictures I have seen but I cant get it off either.
Windows IT guy by day,
Mac\Linux user by night.

My FIRST Mac ever!
Macbook 2.0Ghz 100GB HDD 2GB RAM

Case
Jul 19, 2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Colorful watch?

Not a watch wearing guy.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by joel_v
mines a week 23 build, and no discolouration as yet...
ive had it for over 4 weeks, so hopefully that means that its not going to discolour...
Mine discoloured 6 weeks later, so there's still hope.

I have a question. At the moment, I'm in India, where there is no Apple Service Center.

I'll be going back to Singapore in a month, where I purchased the MB. Will they still honour the issue? Because they could argue that over 2 months of use, the discolouration is within spec. Is there anyway I can avoid this?

muaddib420
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2006, 11:58 AM

my macbook started discoloring around week 3 (i have a week 20 build). it's very slight and i really have to look at it, but it's definitely there, on the left wristpad. it's not annoying enough for me to bother taking it in and being without it for whatever days.

and for some reason, the discoloring has seemed to stablized. it's looked pretty much the same for about a month now. could be that since i noticed it and read all the hubbub online about it, i've been super-paranoid and try not to touch it too much. plus, i clean it quite often (i've used, in no particular order of effectiveness : windex, 409 cleaner, chlorox bleach stick, mr clean magic eraser, regular water, LCD screen wipes).

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 19, 2006, 03:02 PM

First day I got I wore a grey I <3 NYC shirt, then a white tee, then another white tee. Nope not that.
What about that BLUE mousepad you have next to it? One second your rubbing your palms on the pad the next on the MacBook.

"Hello, what have we here?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2006, 05:54 PM

No amount of discoloration is "within spec." None. Period. Apple appears to have owned up the problem, but they don't seem to have a clear solution yet, since there are reports of the replacement plastic discoloring as well. So, if the discoloration appears early enough, get a new MB, but if it appears later then wait until they've got a clearly better replacement shell...

masugu
Senior User
Jul 20, 2006, 12:03 AM

Funny...Was at the San Francisco Apple store last weekend...One whitebook on dsplay was really stained. Guess Apple gave up / did not want to keep replacing whiebooks and let the stained mo fo out there. Maybe there is a better plastic fix coming.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Case
Jul 20, 2006, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by masugu
Funny...Was at the San Francisco Apple store last weekend...One whitebook on dsplay was really stained. Guess Apple gave up / did not want to keep replacing whiebooks and let the stained mo fo out there. Maybe there is a better plastic fix coming.
I saw the same one at same apple store when i got my white macbook

Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Beepcake
Are you, by any chance, a smurf?
That is so mean but insanely funny at the same time LOL~!!
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2006, 10:25 AM

OTOH I can't imagine an Apple Store leaving a really stained MB out on display? What's with that? Can't help but wonder what reasoning the Genius Bar or the manager would give?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 31, 2006, 09:20 PM

Uh oh, mine has started to stain. My iBooks NEVER stained.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2006, 11:55 PM

there are a few blue spots, but i'd chalk that up to occasions that i use the 'book after my hands have a sloppy makeout session with blue pens

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 01:44 AM

Mine has just started to turn light reddish-pink on the palm rests. Does anyone know the average turn around time for Apple to replace this? I've heard that they will first *try* to clean it thoroughly but will replace the actual case when that doesn't work.

techtrucker
Senior User
Sep 2, 2006, 07:27 PM

I've had my week 29 MB for about a month, fairly regularly use, and so far no sign of discoloration at all. More than half the time I'm using it with a bluetooth Mighty Mouse, so trackpad usage is light. And I've been doing a lot of work around the house and am not always squeaky clean when sitting down to compute....but knowing my luck now that I've posted this I'll start seeing discoloration by tomorrow.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2006, 12:15 AM

Week 26, and I'm getting some pretty heavy discoloration coming. I figure I'll wait a few more weeks, then head over to the local Apple store here in Tucson and get the casing replaced. Hopefully there will be a permanent solution by then.

PS, how long exactly will they keep my 'book? Is this an in-store fix, or would they need to ship it out to get repaired?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2006, 12:25 AM

I still don't understand why the MBs get discolored. Was the plastic type changed from the kind that the iBooks were made of?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macbook_2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2006, 11:41 AM

I Have recently sent my macbook back to apple and they replaced the inner case at no charge . They said that they had a large number bad batches of plastic. I was amazed that i sent it out on a wed. and got it back fri.

Forum Links
Forum Rules