Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Using Macbook, Windows XP connects to a network, but OS X doesn't. Help?

Using Macbook, Windows XP connects to a network, but OS X doesn't. Help?
ashesindust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2006, 09:27 PM

Why won't OS X connect to this network even when Windows XP does?

Apple IIgs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 12:08 AM

Need more info. Had OS X connected to the network before and now it isn't or has it never connected. Specifically, what do you mean by "this" network. Do you mean the internet?
NEW: Macbook 1.83Ghz
Current: Powerbook G4 550Mhz (TIbook) w/ broken hinge and dead battery
Used to have: Powermac 6116CD and a Apple IIgs

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2006, 03:54 AM

Not enough info to help as mentioned above. Btw, this should go to the Networking forum I guess...

ashesindust  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 03:29 PM

Yes, a wireless internet network.

I'm vacationing in another state, it's not my network so I can't configure it or anything.

OS X connected to the network the first few times I tried, but after the first day it didn't anymore. When I try to connect to the network, it tells me that it couldn't connect.

fesdds
Jul 31, 2006, 04:30 PM

You may be at the far reaches of the network. I sometimes have this happen at one of my offices where I try to use someone else wireless. Sometimes the signal is strong enough others it just can't connect.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 06:45 AM

I had this same problem on my MB the other day. XP would connect, but OSX gave me an error joining the network. I rebooted the router and my machine and everything worked just fine again. No real reason for the error though.

cs

edit: typo
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2006, 08:05 AM

This is a networking problem-not something particular to the MacBook OR OS X. Moving to the Networking forum...

And you'll have to provide a LOT more information: are you using XP through BootCamp or Parallels? How is wireless configured in XP, and how is it configured in OS X? What kind of security is the host network running?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jake_11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2006, 11:30 AM

I had a similar problem at school, using the network diagnosis in safari fixed the problem
MacBook 1.83GHz, 1GB
MacBook 2.0Ghz, 2GB
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules